Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Howey continued with the railway endeavour, and ended up initiating, and largely creating, the 15-inch-gauge Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway.
@Swifty's mate, that comedian, he was on that last week on telly.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
The name may not be familiar but his work was - from various Gerry Anderson productions in the 60s to movies such as Flash Gordon, Brazil and Sunshine, special-effects supervisor Richard Conway has passed away at 79

Special Effects Supervisor Richard Conway Dies at 79​

Richard Conway, a special effects supervisor who collaborated closely with director Terry Gilliam, has died, his family announced. He was 79.
Conway began working in television in the 1960s, where he began his career working alongside Gerry Anderson. He worked on shows such as “Thunderbirds,” “Captain Scarlet” and “Joe 90”. While there, Conway met fellow visual effects pioneer George Gibbs and together they would go on to work on the 1969 classic “The Battle of Britain.”
From there, Conway segued into film work. He was a senior effects supervisor on Dino De Laurentiis’ “Flash Gordon.” It was Conway who created the unforgettable multi-colored skies around Mongo and its neighboring planets.
https://variety.com/2021/artisans/news/richard-conway-dead-special-effects-supervisor-1235140786/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
American writer and sharp-eyed social and psychological critic Joan Didion has died ...
Joan Didion, peerless prose stylist, dies at 87

Joan Didion, the revered author and essayist whose precise social and personal commentary in such classics as “The White Album” and “The Year of Magical Thinking” made her a uniquely clear-eyed critic of turbulent times, has died. She was 87.

Didion’s publisher Penguin Random House announced the author’s death on Thursday. She died from complications from Parkinson’s disease, the company said. ...

Along with Tom Wolfe, Nora Ephron and Gay Talese, Didion reigned in the pantheon of “New Journalists” who emerged in the 1960s and wedded literary style to nonfiction reporting. ...

Didion received a National Humanities Medal in 2012, when she was praised for devoting “her life to noticing things other people strive not to see.” For decades, she had engaged in the cool and ruthless dissection of politics and culture, from hippies to presidential campaigns to the kidnapping of Patty Hearst, and for her distrust of official stories. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/entertai...-joan-didion-26c0f31d849f9303e9a6a782db840775

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Dick Van Dyke is still alive, happily. Unhappily, he says he doesn't remember making the film because he was a raging alcoholic at the time.
A few years back I saw a TV show abut a company that auctions off movie memorabilia.They had the original Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and to promote the auction they took it to a talk show that Van Dyke was appearing on. When he sat in the car he seemed to be dredging up a lot of good memories, so his claim of not remembering the production may be an exaggeration.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
And the film 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' is on TV today.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
Archbishop Desmond Tutu has died. RIP

South Africa's Archbishop Desmond Tutu dies at 90​

Published30 minutes ago

Media caption,
Nomsa Maseko looks back at the life of Desmond Tutu
Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the Nobel Peace prize laureate who helped end apartheid in South Africa, has died aged 90.
President Cyril Ramaphosa said the churchman's death marked "another chapter of bereavement in our nation's farewell to a generation of outstanding South Africans".
He said Archbishop Tutu had helped bequeath "a liberated South Africa".
Tutu was one of the country's best known figures at home and abroad.
A contemporary of anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela, he was was one of the driving forces behind the movement to end the policy of racial segregation and discrimination enforced by the white minority government against the black majority in South Africa from 1948 until 1991.
He was awarded the Nobel prize in 1984 for his role in the struggle to abolish the apartheid system.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-59793726

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
"When the Missionaries came to Africa, they had the Bible and we had the Land.
They said: 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes.
When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the Land".

Amongst Dr Tutu's favourite quotes (unlikely one of his though).

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The legendary cricketer Ray Illingworth deserves an honourable R.I.P mention here.
Leading England to a famous Ashes victory in 1970/71 was probably, as a young lad, what first kindled my life-long interest in cricket.
89 is a very respectable innings and at least he missed the debacle of England's collapse in the Boxing Day test (which kept me up half the night).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ngland-cricket-captain-and-coach-dies-aged-89

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
A -- to me anyway -- interesting bit of trivia concerning "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", has to do with Ian Fleming's inspiration for the name. For that, he "owed" the wealthy motor-racing exponent "Count"" Louis Zborowski (1895 -- 1924); who got made to his specification, a couple of racing cars which he called "Chitty-Bang-Bang (Marks 1 and 2)" -- name suggested by the noise which they made when starting. Zborowski was also an enthusiast for miniature railways: he and Captain John Howey, who shared that passion, and also the one for motor-racing; embarked shortly after World War I, on a project to inaugurate somewhere in Great Britain, a miniature railway which would be of decent length, and would actually be of real use for conveying everyday passenger and freight traffic. Sadly, Zborowski died in a motor race in 1924; Howey continued with the railway endeavour, and ended up initiating, and largely creating, the 15-inch-gauge Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway.
I spent most of our annual weekly holiday as a child - which we took in a holiday camp on Romney Marsh - sneaking rides on the said railway. I love it to bits. If it isn't running in Heaven (so I can park my Harley at Hythe station and bunk on again) I will have to have words with the boss. And hopefully the Count and the Captain will be racing one of the Chittys round the Heaven version of Brooklands.

Just to reinforce the point for the pedantic - the real cars were called 'Chitty Bang Bang' - only one 'Chitty'.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
@Swifty's mate, that comedian, he was on that last week on telly.
Is he? .. I've never heard of him? ..
@escargot means me. And why wouldn't I be on telly?

fist-pump-napoleon-dynamite.gif

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
BBC Radio 1 Disc Jockey Janice Long has died at the relatively young age of 66.

BBC DJ and broadcaster Janice Long dies at 66 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59795298

I used to listen to her Radio 1 evening show every night it was on, it was a real education and she was such a great promoter of music. Always remember her laughing at John Walters' stories too. This has very much saddened me, she was a truly nice person. RIP. Her brother didn't last to a ripe old age either. Oh well.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
"When the Missionaries came to Africa, they had the Bible and we had the Land.
They said: 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes.
When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the Land".

Amongst Dr Tutu's favourite quotes (unlikely one of his though).

I've been trying to remember what Tutu said about forgiveness, and how without it the world would never move on. Something like that. He was a deeply compassionate man, a real great. And that laugh! RIP.

Squail

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I spent most of our annual weekly holiday as a child - which we took in a holiday camp on Romney Marsh - sneaking rides on the said railway. I love it to bits. If it isn't running in Heaven (so I can park my Harley at Hythe station and bunk on again) I will have to have words with the boss. And hopefully the Count and the Captain will be racing one of the Chittys round the Heaven version of Brooklands.

I have indeed taken delight in the RH&DR, on intermittent visits to it over the past sixty years. Sadly there are some indications that it may nowadays be physically -- and perhaps otherwise -- not in the very best of health. There's a lengthy video made ten years ago, in parts of which it looks a bit alarmingly ramshackle.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I have indeed taken delight in the RH&DR, on intermittent visits to it over the past sixty years. Sadly there are some indications that it may nowadays be physically -- and perhaps otherwise -- not in the very best of health. There's a lengthy video made ten years ago, in parts of which it looks a bit alarmingly ramshackle.
It has been there before - it was fairly ramshackle (except for the locos, which were always looked after very well) back in the late 60's early 70's - carriages with visible rot, minor stations dilapidated. That may have been part of the reason I loved it so much. It lost some character when most of the carriages were replaced with modern ones.

There was a marvelous model railway layout above the cafe in New Romney station - somewhere I spent many hours. Quite often when my parents imagined I was taking part in the holiday club's children's activities.

Trevp666

Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Did everyone else apart from me know who her brother was, then? I'm astounded, I had no idea.

Yeah, Keith Chegwin. I remember once she got him on her Radio 2 show for an April Fool, where he announced he was performing the new UK Eurovision entry. Maybe the most ironic thing about that was he could have really done that, he was a far more talented man than given credit for. By the point of his death he was a bit of a joke, and then everyone went "oh" and was disappointed when he wasn't around anymore.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Who could forget "Brown Sauce"?

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
I've been trying to remember what Tutu said about forgiveness, and how without it the world would never move on. Something like that. He was a deeply compassionate man, a real great. And that laugh! RIP.
An entire generation of Poly and University students striving for a 'Desmond' (2:2) - that's acknowledgment of a sort.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I like this one from him: ‘If you want peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies.’
That makes a lot of sense to me.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
An entire generation of Poly and University students striving for a 'Desmond' (2:2) - that's acknowledgment of a sort.
Yup, a mate of mine was inconsolable with her 2.2 degree result. I assured her that it was a solid 'drinker's degree' and perfectly good enough for the job she wanted.

She laughed her socks off when I called it a Desmond. :chuckle:

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
A few more quotes from him
"Enemies are always friends waiting to be made."
"When we see others as the enemy, we risk becoming what we hate. When we oppress others, we end up oppressing ourselves. All of our humanity is dependent upon recognising the humanity in others."
"We may be surprised at the people we find in heaven. God has a soft spot for sinners. His standards are quite low."
“Don’t raise your voice, improve your argument.”
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.”

Squail

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Yup, a mate of mine was inconsolable with her 2.2 degree result. I assured her that it was a solid 'drinker's degree' and perfectly good enough for the job she wanted.

She laughed her socks off when I called it a Desmond. :chuckle:

While duly admiring the late reverend gentleman and what he accomplished; basically not being "into" current affairs, I've always slightly wished that student slang for that degree-gradation had been instead, a "Dolittle": after Dr. Dolittle's owl friend Too-Too.

Last edited: