Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Jean-Marc Vallee, Canadian director of Oscar nominated movies and Emmy nominated TV, dies suddenly at 58:
News story

Heart attack, say other sources. Best known for The Dallas Buyers Club (two acting Oscars) and Big Little Lies on TV, but maybe his best film was his first, C.R.A.Z.Y., a coming of age tale that was eccentrically Canadian. RIP.

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
RIP God's brave warrior, Nkwasi Tutu.
I was looking for a really great speech to impress every bleeding heart but my mind wandered away to Salford again.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
RIP God's brave warrior, Nkwasi Tutu.
I was looking for a really great speech to impress every bleeding heart but my mind wandered away to Salford again.

That would double as a Janice Long tribute too, she was one of the first to champion The Smiths and helped make them a success. Morrissey would always grant her an interview for decades afterwards by way of thanks.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The legendary cricketer Ray Illingworth deserves an honourable R.I.P mention here.
Leading England to a famous Ashes victory in 1970/71 was probably, as a young lad, what first kindled my life-long interest in cricket.
89 is a very respectable innings and at least he missed the debacle of England's collapse in the Boxing Day test (which kept me up half the night).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ngland-cricket-captain-and-coach-dies-aged-89
Much-underestimated cricketer whose record with bat, ball and captain put him up there with the best. Not necessarily a great batter or bowler but very, very good and add in the captaincy and fielding and he was the complete package.

As with another Yorkshire maverick, Brian Close, who went on to captain my beloved Somerset CCC, Illingworth was better appreciated away from his own county, at least for a chunk of his career. Taking also-rans Leicester to multiple titles was possibly his greatest achievement.

He was also married for 63 years and a proponent of assisted dying.

A life well-lived.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A giant of American football & a name familiar to gamers worldwide has passed away:

NFL Broadcasting Legend John Madden Has Died At 85​

John Madden, the Hall of Fame football coach turned broadcasting icon, died unexpectedly on Tuesday, the NFL announced. He was 85.

"On behalf of the entire NFL family, we extend our condolences to Virginia, Mike, Joe and their families," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "We all know him as the Hall of Fame coach of the Oakland Raiders and broadcaster who worked for every major network, but more than anything, he was a devoted husband, father and grandfather."

Though Madden was drafted to the Philadelphia Eagles after college, a knee injury prevented him from ever playing professionally. Instead, he pursued degrees in education and used those skills to embark on a successful coaching career.

After stints in college football, he was hired by the Oakland Raiders as the linebackers coach in 1967. After two seasons, he became head coach, and at just 32 years old, the youngest to hold that position in the American Football League.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/claudiakoerner/john-madden-dies-nfl

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The study of UFOs lost a great advocate former Nevada Senator Harry Reid.

Harry with Bigelow started the AATIP program fighting against the standard opinion.

In retirement, he was upset that the Pentagon “ buried their heads in the sand “ with a whimsical UFO report.

His view was the truth should be told.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Transgender pioneer April Ashley dies at 86:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59816881

I once met someone who'd known her quite well back in the days when she ran a nightclub (60s or 70s, can't remember).
I can remember her from the late '60s/early '70s when she was constantly harassed by the press.
Early on I didn't even know what sex WAS, in any sense, let alone how you could change it.

April was the first transgender person I or millions of others had ever heard of. She was always dignified and I've read that she was supportive to others in her position. A true role model.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
A final slap in our faces for 2021. Betty White was as legendary for her comic abilities as she was for being one of the nicest people in showbiz. My gran used to love The Golden Girls. RIP.

Mrs Migs

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I can remember her from the late '60s/early '70s when she was constantly harassed by the press.
Early on I didn't even know what sex WAS, in any sense, let alone how you could change it.

April was the first transgender person I or millions of others had ever heard of. She was always dignified and I've read that she was supportive to others in her position. A true role model.
First transgender person I knew of. We didn’t live that far from Hay, so I suppose she was a bit of a local celebrity. She was an amazing woman, and I think knowing of her helped my parents when my sister transitioned. Such a sad loss, but such a great role model.

michael59

Justified & Incandecent
Reaction score

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score
I'm not sure why but this news makes me really sad. :oops:
Because she was an institution, a genuinely cool lady and a good person. It's sad she didn't make a few more weeks. Her 100th birthday celebration has been turned into a memorial.

The world is less wonderful now without Betty.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: why do the TV networks do those "in memoriam/all we have lost" videos before January 1, cheating year-end deaths out of the tributes? If there was ever someone who deserved to belong in one, it was Betty White.

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: why do the TV networks do those "in memoriam/all we have lost" videos before January 1, cheating year-end deaths out of the tributes? If there was ever someone who deserved to belong in one, it was Betty White.
The In House GP said much the same thing - she won't make the end-of-year remembrance now.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is sad news...

World-renowned Kenyan conservationist Richard Leakey dies at 77​

Kenyan paleoanthropologist and conservationist Richard Leakey, who unearthed evidence that helped prove humankind evolved in Africa, died on Sunday at the age of 77, Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta confirmed in a statement.
"I have this afternoon, Sunday 2nd January 2022, received with deep sorrow the sad news of the passing away of Dr. Richard Erskine Frere Leakey, Kenya's former Head of Public Service," Kenyatta's statement said.
"On behalf of the people of Kenya, my family and on my own behalf, I send heartfelt condolences and sympathies to the family, friends and associates of Dr. Richard Leakey during this difficult period of mourning."
Leakey came from a family of renowned archeologists. His mother, Mary Leakey, discovered evidence in 1978 that man walked upright much earlier than had been thought. She and her husband, Louis Leakey, unearthed skulls of ape-like early humans, shedding fresh light on our ancestors.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/02/world/richard-leakey-death/index.html?

Sillyhuron

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
"We are the scatterlings of Africa
Both you and I
We are on the road to Phelamanga
Beneath a copper sky
And we are the scatterlings of Africa
On a journey to the stars
Far below, we leave forever
Dreams of what we were"
(Savuka, 1987)

RIP & Thank You Dr. Leakey

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Reaction score
The last of the Bogdanoff brothers has died, just a few days after the first one. Possibly from Corona?
------------------

Igor Bogdanoff Dies Six Days After His Twin Brother

January 3rd, 2022 - 1:24 PM EST by Philipp Kachalin

Igor Bogdanoff, twin brother of Grichka Bogdanoff, French television personality and the face of countless cryptocurrency, stock market and conspiracy theory memes, has died six days after his brother's passing.

The French presenter, who together with his brother Igor achieved global popularity in recent years as the twins were depicted as mastermind villains in cryptocurrency and stock market memes, has died aged 72, less than a week after Grichka's death from COVID-19, French news agency AFP reported.

https://news.knowyourmeme.com/news/igor-bogdanoff-dies-six-days-after-his-twin-brother

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The last of the Bogdanoff brothers has died, just a few days after the first one. Possibly from Corona?
------------------

Igor Bogdanoff Dies Six Days After His Twin Brother

January 3rd, 2022 - 1:24 PM EST by Philipp Kachalin

Igor Bogdanoff, twin brother of Grichka Bogdanoff, French television personality and the face of countless cryptocurrency, stock market and conspiracy theory memes, has died six days after his brother's passing.

The French presenter, who together with his brother Igor achieved global popularity in recent years as the twins were depicted as mastermind villains in cryptocurrency and stock market memes, has died aged 72, less than a week after Grichka's death from COVID-19, French news agency AFP reported.

https://news.knowyourmeme.com/news/igor-bogdanoff-dies-six-days-after-his-twin-brother

Was just coming to post this one. Both of them in a few weeks, French press saying it was Corona. Saw one of these once in the neighbourhood I work, had no awareness of their fame in the 80s/90s but a colleague explained they were a big deal.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Film director Peter Bogdanovich has died

Peter Bogdanovich, Iconic Director of ‘Last Picture Show’ and ‘Paper Moon,’ Dies at 82​

Peter Bogdanovich — whose “The Last Picture Show” and “Paper Moon” solidified his reputation as one of the most important filmmakers in the New Hollywood of the ’70s, but whose personal life threatened to overshadow his career behind the camera — has died, Variety has confirmed. He was 82.
Wildly prolific and celebrated early on, then mired in hubris-laced scandal when he became involved with two of his leading ladies — the first for whom he left his wife, the second a Playboy centerfold killed by her husband — Bogdanovich nevertheless remained busy directing, writing and acting through his late years, and emerged, like Martin Scorsese, as a scholarly champion of old-school American moviemakers.
https://variety.com/2022/film/obitu...er-bogdanovich-dead-dies-director-1235148166/

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Bogdanoff, G. ... Bogdanoff, I. . . . Bogdanovich, P. . . .

I've advised Mrs Bogdanowitz to go to bed, fearing the worst! :died:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I always remember reading Easy Riders, Raging Bulls and the parts where it said Bogdanovich was widely hated in Hollywood for being a know-all and not being afraid to show off, and though I found his impersonations a bit much in interviews... he really did know it all!

And he was a great director for the first few films, too, Targets is a fantastic, chilling movie that looked ahead to the American spree killers, and What's Up, Doc is a superb comedy that proved Barbra Streisand had real comic skill (and even Ryan O'Neal!). His personal life was dubious, but he didn't kill anybody! RIP.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

Lawrence Brooks, oldest U.S. veteran of WWII, dies at 112

Brooks, a Louisiana native and resident, was drafted in 1940 and served in the Army's 91st Engineer Battalion. His battalion was a predominately Black group of servicemen, due to the military's segregation practices at the time.

220105-lawrence-brooks-jm-1327-0c66b8.jpg

Born in a small village outside of Baton Rouge, Brooks was one of 15 children. His parents were sharecroppers who moved to Mississippi to find work after the Great Depression.

He was initially discharged and returned to New Orleans in November 1941 after his obligatory year of service, but rejoined the Army following the attack on Pearl Harbor weeks later.

Brooks served overseas in Australia, New Guinea and the Philippines, earning his way to private first class. He once shared the story of a harrowing journey on a C-47 going from Australia to New Guinea when an engine failed.

The crew began unloading cargo to make the plane lighter, Brooks said, and he moved toward the cockpit.

"You have a pilot and a co-pilot, only two of them, they're the only two who have a parachute," Brooks said. "I said if they run and jump, I'm gonna grab one of them."

Brooks fell back into civilian life as a forklift operator until retiring his 70s. His wife, Leona, died in 2008. He is survived by five children, 13 grandchildren and 32 great-grandchildren.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lawrence-brooks-oldest-us-veteran-wwii-dies-112-rcna11053

maximus otter

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Bill Bryden, playwright and director who also wrote the screenplay for one of my favourite westerns, The Long Riders

Bill Bryden: supremely gifted director who harnessed the ensemble’s power​

The Scottish theatre-maker, who has died aged 79, brought us an epic 12-hour production of the Mysteries and the world premiere of Glengarry Glen Ross

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/jan/06/bill-bryden-director-died-aged-79#comments
Bill Bryden, who has died aged 79, was a terrific director and writer whose work was dominated by two governing ideas: a belief in ensemble and a passion for everything American. Both could be seen in his tenure as one of Peter Hall’s associates at the National Theatre from 1974 to 1985, where he directed Tony Harrison’s version of The Mysteries and numerous American plays including the world premiere of David Mamet’s Glengarry Glen Ross. As Hall shrewdly said in his autobiography, “Bill’s strengths are his obsessions” and “for him, work in the theatre has to be work among friends.”
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/jan/06/bill-bryden-director-died-aged-79