• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Retro-Futurism Reborn: The Flying Hotel

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Nowadays we chuckle at the extravagant visions of the future promoted by (e.g.) Hugo Gernsback roughly a century ago. Between the times when the Titanic sank and the Hindenburg burned up the growing sci-fi / futurist crowd was fascinated with giant airplanes offering the accoutrements of a cruise ship aloft. Here are two examples from 1929 ...

Christmas-FlyingCruiseLiner.jpg

The 'Christmas' Air Liner (Illustrated London News, December 1929)
https://longstreet.typepad.com/thes...ircraft-with-dining-rooms-in-their-wings.html

BelGeddes-AirLiner4.jpg

Norman Bel Geddes' Air Liner Number 4​

Well ... Here's a new version of the flying hotel concept - the Sky-Cruise.

sky-cruise.jpg
Sky Cruise: Arab-Designed Flying Hotel To Accommodate 5000 Passengers

The newly revealed Sky Cruise is a nuclear energy flying hotel created by Hashem Al-Ghaili, a Yemeni engineer and video producer who unveiled his vision for an artificial intelligence-driven aircraft capable of carrying up to 5,000 passengers and transforming the world of hospitality and aviation.

Inspired by artist Tony Holmsten’s paintings, the initial concept of this aircraft was redesigned and animated by Hashem Al-Ghaili himself.

The Sky Cruise will be propelled by 20 nuclear engines and will not require pilots.

Although an artificial intelligence system will steer the Sky Cruise, a licensed human operator will be able to assume control at any time.

In the YouTube video detailing his vision for Sky Cruise, Al-Ghaili explains that regular airlines would carry customers to and from Sky Cruise and that all maintenance work would be completed in the air. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/20...d-flying-hotel-to-accommodate-5000-passengers

...No detail as to how you’d board the thing since it doesn’t land.

If you keep with the video to the end, it says that it can land but at around 4:00 it shows what the narrator calls an 'electric commercial airliner' docked on the top to transfer supplies and guests.

The bit that puzzled me was around 2:00 where he stated that activities include "watching aurora borealis up close": How high is it flying?

Hmmm……nuclear powered... swimming pools…5000 passengers. No detail as to how you’d board the thing since it doesn’t land. I get the feeling it’s not entirely serious despite the fancy video.
It does actually ... if you can bear to watch it through to the end. lol

All the same I agree, it does look a bit tongue in cheek.

There was a boys book published in the 50's (I think) called School in the Skies. I may still have it somewhere. :-[

I seem to recall it was largely about sports and the idea of a flying school was pretty much taken for granted.

If you keep with the video to the end, it says that it can land but at around 4:00 it shows what the narrator calls an 'electric commercial airliner' docked on the top to transfer supplies and guests.
It does actually ... if you can bear to watch it through to the end. lol

All the same I agree, it does look a bit tongue in cheek.
I did watch it to the end & noticed the jumbo sized ‘electric aircraft’ perched on a stalk but there was no mention of how it would actually land on said stalk. Automatically/safely/luxuriously as per the rest of it presumably.

Some genuine aircraft came close to emulating that futurist/retro dream.

The Caproni CA.60 was an absolutely astonishing aircraft from 1921.
Sadly it was severely damaged after a few short trial flights on Lake Maggiore and never flew again.

boat4.png

The Boeing Clippers allowed passengers to cross the Atlantic and Pacific in luxury between 1938 and 1941:

boat3.png

The Saunders-Roe Princess was the last of the great flying boats, built in 1952:

boat2.png

This article argues that the giant flying boat could still make a comeback (fingers crossed!).

boat.png

https://www.abc.net.au/radionationa...ic-seaplanes-revolutionise-air-travel/7382834

Back