• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Reviving Prehistoric Microbes

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Bringing 8 million year old creatures back to life

Scientists revive eight million year old primitive life forms

20 February 2004

Scientists have revived primitive life forms retrieved from frozen ground in the Antarctic and believed to be up to eight million years old.

The revival of ancient colonies of bacteria was a significant step in helping develop new methods for investigating whether alien life has existed, or still exists, on other planets, University of Otago geologist Dr Gary Wilson said this week.

Dr Wilson has helped lead a 24-member team which has worked on the nine-year project.

With Imre Friedmann from Nasa and David Gilichinsky from the Russian Academy of Sciences, Dr Wilson extracted dormant bacteria from sedimentary layers at several sites beneath frozen ground estimated to be between five and eight million years old.

Ensuring the bacteria was not contaminated by other organisms, they placed them in freezers and shipped them to the United States – where Dr Wilson works at Ohio State University – and later to Russia.

To revive the bacteria, collected from soil with a temperature of about -27degC, the scientists placed samples in dishes and raised the temperature to varying levels. At temperatures above 0degC, the bacteria began to revive and grow, Dr Wilson said.

That it could be revived showed the bacteria was not dead, but had been dormant since a time when conditions were very different in the Antarctic.

"The colony was not active, but they may have just been shut down waiting for conditions to come right again," he said.

"Clearly the Antarctic was more conducive to life at an earlier time when the conditions in the soil were more favourable."

Though the cells are very primitive life forms, the length of time they had been able to survive was significant for further study of other inhospitable environments such as Mars, Dr Wilson said.

"If we had discovered they could only survive for 100 years it would be different, but because we've found they survived many millions of years, the chance of finding life on other planets (where the environments have changed) is greater."

"If Antarctica is a reasonable analogue of Mars, then we can learn something about where to look for life and ask if things there are still viable given the conditions we find."

Nasa had long shown an interest in the Antarctic because of the potential for comparisons with Mars.

Dr Wilson and his colleagues found the viable bacteria were in greater quantity deep beneath the Antarctic surface, where there was also evidence of the by-products of life including chlorophyll, enzymes and hydrocarbon gases.

On Mars, therefore, it might be more productive to look for similar signs deep beneath the planet's surface, when trying to determine if life existed there.

Asked if he believed life could have existed on other planets, Dr Wilson was quick to answer.

"I believe it, but I can't prove it."

stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2820249a7693,00.html
Link is dead. No archived version available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't they seen Jurassic Park? :eek:

Is this wise though? What happens if they revive a particularly nasty strain and it spreads a disease or even more scarily a virus which grows like the clappers and we know nothing about?

What could possibly go wrong? ... :evillaugh:
Scientists Revive 100-Million-Year-Old Microbes Found Deep Below the Bottom of the Ocean

For decades, scientists have gathered ancient sediment samples from below the seafloor to better understand past climates, plate tectonics, and the deep marine ecosystem. In a new study published in Nature Communications, researchers reveal that given the right food in the right laboratory conditions, microbes collected from sediment as old as 100 million years can revive and multiply, even after laying dormant since large dinosaurs prowled the planet. ...

Aboard the research drillship JOIDES Resolution, the team drilled numerous sediment cores 100 meters below the seafloor and nearly 6,000 meters below the ocean’s surface. The scientists found that oxygen was present in all of the cores, suggesting that if sediment accumulates slowly on the seafloor at a rate of no more than a meter or two every million years, oxygen will penetrate all the way from the seafloor to the basement. Such conditions make it possible for aerobic microorganisms–those that require oxygen to live–to survive for geological time scales of millions of years.

With fine-tuned laboratory procedures, the scientists, led by Morono, incubated the samples to coax their microbes to grow. The results demonstrated that rather than being fossilized remains of life, the microbes in the sediment had survived, and were capable of growing and dividing. ...

“At first I was skeptical, but we found that up to 99.1% of the microbes in sediment deposited 101.5 million years ago were still alive and were ready to eat” ...

FULL STORY: https://scitechdaily.com/scientists...bes-found-deep-below-the-bottom-of-the-ocean/

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ly-revived-mesozoic-era-microbes-from-the-sea

I can't help thinking that this sounds like the beginning of a sci-fi horror film with a very unfortunate ending.
Haven't we had enough problems with microscopic things lately?!!

I'm sure it'll be fine. They've just been doing their thing quietly for 100m years in some mud. They wouldn't know what to do with a mammal if they noticed one. I'm calm. It's fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
100 million year old microbes? Can I make them into a smoothie to drink?

I am interested to know what nutritional value they have.
Might be of benefit to us.

100-Million-Year-Old Seafloor Sediment Bacteria Have Been Resuscitated

in what is no way the opening of a horror movie....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...loor-sediment-bacteria-have-been-resuscitated

--------------------------------------
By the time the cores of sediment were raised to the surface, the tubes contained up to 100 million years of Earth history. What the team wanted to know was how long and in what state microbes trapped in this milieu could survive in an almost-completely raided oceanic refrigerator. They were in for a surprise.

Their results, published in Nature Communications in July, revealed that the sediments contained bacterial cells, which they expected (not many, though: just 100 to 3,000 per cubic centimeter). But when given food, most of them quickly revived, which the scientists did not expect.

The microbes got straight to work doing what bacteria do, and within 68 days of incubation had increased their numbers up to 10,000-fold. They doubled about every five days (E. coli bacteria in the lab double in around 20 minutes). Their progeny contained specially labeled isotopes of carbon and nitrogen that made the scientists sure that the microbes were eating what they had been offered.

100-million-year-old?

It's clearly their planet, so let's give it back and say sorry quickly.

The use of the final word 'offered' troubles me; it's as if they might refuse and demand something better.

It's like Jurassic Park, only less glamorous.

Considering that our microbiology lab was female-dominated for years, I dispute the "less glamorous" theory. :chuckle:

As any one who has ever seen me in my grubby lab coat and sturdy shoes, emerging from under a black cloth carrying a gel tray in my purple-gloved hands, will attest.

Back