• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rex Heflin Photographs (Santa Ana, California; 1965)

In that case they'd be in for a nasty surprise if they did show up here.
Not necessarily, if they are operating in dimensions beyond our three.

Hal Clement wrote an interesting book about a planet with extraordinary gravity where nothing was more than about 6 inches tall. Haven't read it in 40 years but it was really good. Another one of his whose title I remember was 'Cycle of Fire' about a plant orbiting a binary star (IIRC) .
He wrote 'proper' science fiction, in that what he wrote was at least feasible without - as I have been doing - redefining the universe.

Not necessarily, if they are operating in dimensions beyond our three.

Hal Clement wrote an interesting book about a planet with extraordinary gravity where nothing was more than about 6 inches tall. Haven't read it in 40 years but it was really good. Another one of his whose title I remember was 'Cycle of Fire' about a plant orbiting a binary star (IIRC) .
He wrote 'proper' science fiction, in that what he wrote was at least feasible without - as I have been doing - redefining the universe.
And there was a wonderful programme, Alien Worlds, which showed how life might be on other planets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Worlds_(TV_series)

!0 vs 9 - that may depend on whether you start counting your dimensions at 0 or 1. But my guy did maintain a minimum of 9, so he wouldn't argue with 10.

I didn't know about Flatland, thanks.
11 was the last count that I heard. Can't remember where I read it.

Hal Clement wrote an interesting book about a planet with extraordinary gravity where nothing was more than about 6 inches tall. Haven't read it in 40 years but it was really good.
Although I love Mission of Gravity, the planetology of Mesklin wouldn't stand up to today's theoretical standards. A planet that massive would be a brown dwarf, with a red hot outer layer and intensely hot core due to contraction and deuterium fusion. It could never have formed that way in the real universe, and cooled down enough to be habitable, while retaining its spin.
Perhaps Meskin was an artificial construct, built for the entertainment of some alien god.

Back