• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

RFIDs

A

Anonymous

Tracker chips-The thin end of the wedge?

Jan. 24, 2003 – Small tech is under fire again. Since Gillette Co. said it would buy hundreds of millions of ID tags and put them on its razors, fears of privacy invasion have crescendoed.

From: http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=5363

Is this the REAL beginning of big brother technology? Tracer chips the size of dust mites, ok they have a limited range but its commerially avilable now! What will research and developement bring in the future. Digital Angel and 2020 implants have already been slammed for invasion of privacy, but at least they were big enough to see and feel.
Frightened? I think we should be.....

It doesn't matter whether they can put a bug on you or not. They legally can't use them without your permission, unless privacy laws get seriously rethought. Just think, if anyone could prove that a company like that was spying on them in their own home, the company would be just be opening itself up to a whole world of litigation (at least i the UK anyway).

Still, the techology won't be comercially availale for a while, I imagine there would be quite a few health problems to sort out first (imagine someone with sinus problems breathing in these things), even if they have crackedmaking the chips.

Yeah but these things are so small that if they put enough of them in everything you'll be carrying them without knowing.
Companies already reserve the right to film you when you enter the building, i work in one, taking that a step further, if you enter lets say the pentagon whats to stop them spraying these things on you as you pass the metal detector and tacking your every move? You wouldn't even be able to read a paper in the toilet without the boss saying " you took a long time in the toilet, maybe you should my proctologist?"
I know thats an extreme situation but i'm sure it'll arrive one day.
On a lighter note they'd know whether u were lying about having time off for a cold, coz your nose would sending out a whopping signal along with every bin full of tissue paper.
:laughing:

I'm sure this was mentioned on a previous thread about the Gillette items being tagged.I think it could be more a case of using the technology for stocking and sales/demographic information rather than anything sinister.Anyway just don't give them any personal details when buying stuff.Doesn't wearing a bright Benetton jumper identify you enough anyway?

Judge Nutmeg said:
I'm sure this was mentioned on a previous thread about the Gillette items being tagged.I think it could be more a case of using the technology for stocking and sales/demographic information rather than anything sinister.

That's the official line of these companies, yes. But the fact is many other corporations and, more significantly, government organisations are monitoring the Benetton move with a view to adopting the scheme themselves.

Maybe it's just me, but the idea of wearing clothing which has been chipped or tagged - and may be broadcasting my whereabouts and/or purchases to companies or organisations without my consent - does seem very intrusive.

Anyway just don't give them any personal details when buying stuff.

That's all well and good if you pay in cash.... but if you use a credit card you have effectively registered that item to yourself.

No. The safest bet is to boycott Benetton and any other company which wants to introduce stealth market-research techniques like RFID. At the very least this technology will mean more unwanted junk mail.... and at worst, may prove to be a real infringement of personal privacy in the future.

It's bad enough with 'Logos' and 'Designer Labels.' You pay them loads of money, just so's you can advertise their sweat shop made trash. Why not just have 'Consumer Butt Monkey' tattoed on your forehead?

Anyway, most cloth and plastic based products, containing these pernicious little spy-bugs, would probably benefit from 10, or 20 seconds in a microwave. ;)

...and they wonder why I won't wear 'designer' clothes....

Well, all clothes have a 'designer', obviously...it's like 'architect-designed' houses; who else would design a building? A chimp? Would do a better job half the time...

I guess when you pull your garment out of the wash, you could toss it in the microwave for 30-60 seconds before you toss it in the dryer, and the RFID chip would be a tostito. Might spark a little, but that's how you know it's working, right? Quick and easy.

I suppose it depends on where the "tag" is, and how big it is. It could be you can kill it with a strong enough magnet. (Or, if you have one, a degaussing wand. They're fun.) If you're worried about microwaving it, try just running it through a hot drier for an hour or so. (Of course, they usually don't recommend you do that, but obviously it's just to keep you under surveillance. I'm sure the clothes will be fine.)

I presume it's using a circuit to resonate with a given radio frequency giving a product code. That would make it similar to the amorphous metal tags used in libraries and many department stores. Will they have to flag the receivers as posing a risk to people with pacemakers, like they do with the older ones? (I've always meant to fake a heart attack going through one, but it never seemed like a good time.)

Of course, if you know the right frequency, you may be able to pump sufficient power through it to kill it that way.

Don't let me stop anybody from following the advice in the article, and going naked, though.

rynner said:
But another story suggests these tags MAY be deactivated at point of sale.

Viewed from this angle, the electronic tag sounds like a weapon in the war against black market sales of stolen clothing. However I wouldn't have thought the Benetton label was in that much demand on the black market - its usually designer sports goods, isn't it?

The time to worry is when "they" start tagging newborns and legal immigrants and start rigging up chip-readers on every lamp-post. That'll probably be next year!:eek:

Susan Bulmer said:
However I wouldn't have thought the Benetton label was in that much demand on the black market

Or anywhere else, for that matter.

rynner said:
But another story suggests these tags MAY be deactivated at point of sale.

It only suggests that 'standards groups' are looking at ways to get these chips deactivated at point of sale. The chips are designed to last the life of the garment and be used to monitor returns as well as sales.

I'm not sure why I'm that bothered, as I've never owned a Benetton garment in my life... and have no intention of losing my 'Benetton virginity'. Indeed, I should perhaps hold back my indignation until they start chipping clothing I would be seen dead in.

Clubbers getting chipped

Clubbers in Spain are choosing to receive a microchip implant instead of carrying a membership card. It is the latest and perhaps the most unlikely of uses for implantable radio frequency ID chips.

The Baja Beach Club in Barcelona offers people signing up for VIP membership a choice between an RFID chip and a normal card. VIP members can jump the entrance queues, reserve a table and use the nightclub's VIP lounge.

"The RFID chip is not compulsory," says Conrad Chase, managing director of the club. But he says there are advantages to having it. The obvious one is that you do not have to carry a membership card around with you, but also it means you can leave your wallet at home. This is because the RFID can be used as an in-house debit card, says Chase

"don't you know who I am?"
click
"ah yes"

:rolleyes:

So are they going to include the whole match finding technology in the chips? So when you're in the club (or anywhere else) your forearm starts beeping if you're near the person of your dreams?

:D

dunno, beats the Traffic Lights Sticker thing we had at uni a couple of times anyway:)

might be more useful for queues at the bar, for telling who's que'd longest :D

anome said:
So when you're in the club (or anywhere else) your forearm starts beeping if you're near the person of your dreams?

I think they might think of somewhere else to put it in that case, who needs a beeping arm at a time like that?

so it's less of a case of suck my clock, more . . . oh, sorry, I'm taking this thread off on a bit of a buttock-y tangent here aren't I:D

errr, big brother . . . making it all socially acceptable . . . if you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to hide:eek: :hah:

Pete Younger said:
I think they might think of somewhere else to put it in that case, who needs a beeping arm at a time like that?
Oh yes, do tell.

What would you want to be beeping?

jima said:
so it's less of a case of suck my clock, more . . . oh, sorry, I'm taking this thread off on a bit of a buttock-y tangent here aren't I:D

errr, big brother . . . making it all socially acceptable . . . if you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to hide:eek: :hah:

I think the implications of implanted RFID go way beyond what you may consider right/wrong.Assuming that you will not be responsible for drafting any legislation involving the implimentation of this technology You Too may have cause for concern.

A fancy story but one I find implausible

If worrd got out a company was using this, it wouldnt do their sales much good, would it?

Methinks an anti-big business conspiracy is here.

(Says she whos designerwear is all off the rummage...)

mobile phones scanning for RFID tags

Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tags, which manufacturers use to track and identify products, have been coming under attack for the information they could reveal about your shopping habits to anyone with an RFID scanner. But the same technology could also make it easier for you to get information as well. As Nokia's Gerhard Romen puts it: "Today, RFID tags tend to be mobile and readers are stationary, but things get really interesting when you turn that around and make the tags stationary and the readers mobile."

and when tags and readers are mobile . . .

*dons tinfoil hat*

The Mark Of The Beast: Pay As You Go

BBC News Online: Barcelona clubbers get chipped

BBC Science producer Simon Morton goes clubbing in Barcelona with a microchip implanted in his arm to pay for drinks.

Imagine having a glass capsule measuring 1.3mm by 1mm, about the size of a large piece of rice injected under your skin.

Implanting microchips that emit a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) into animals has been common practice in many countries around the world, with some looking to make it a legal requirement for domestic pet owners.

The idea of having my very own microchip implanted in my body appealed. I have always been an early adopter, so why not.

Last week I headed for the bright lights of the Catalan city of Barcelona to enter the exclusive VIP Baja Beach Club.

The night club offers its VIP clients the opportunity to have a syringe-injected microchip implanted in their upper arms that not only gives them special access to VIP lounges, but also acts as a debit account from which they can pay for drinks.

This sort of thing is handy for a beach club where bikinis and board shorts are the uniform and carrying a wallet or purse is really not practical.

Thumping heart

I met the owner of the club, Conrad Chase, who had come up with the idea when trying to develop the ultimate in membership cards and was the first person implanted with the capsule, made by VeriChip Corporation.

With a waiver in his hand Conrad asked me to sign my life away, confirming that if I wanted the chip removed it was my responsibility.

Four aspiring VIP members sat quietly sipping their beverages as the nurse Laia began preparing the surgical materials.

Like a scene from a sci-fi movie, latex gloves and syringes were laid out on the table as the DJ played loud dance tunes that made my heart thump, or was it just fear?

Questions were going through my mind. Would it hurt? What are the risks? What if I want to get it out?

I ordered another drink.

Comfortably numb

Laia started by disinfecting my upper arm and then administered a local anaesthetic to numb the area where the chip would be implanted.

With the large needle in her hand, she tested the zone which made me flinch and led to another dose of the anaesthetic.

With a numb arm, Laia held up the rather large needle containing the microchip and inserted it beneath the layer of skin and fat on my arm.

She pressed the injector and it was in - my very own 10 digit number safely located in my body.

The chip is made of glass and is inert so there is no risk of it reacting with my body.

It sits dormant under the skin sending out a very low range radio frequency so it will not set off airport security systems.

The chip responds to a signal when a scanner is held near it and supplies its own unique ID number.

The number can then be linked to a database that is linked to other data, at the Baja beach club it make charges to a customers account.

If I want to leave the club then I can have it surgically removed - a pretty simple procedure similar to having it put in.

Now, the question of did it hurt. Having the chip inserted was a breeze, no real pain to report of.

The real pain was the sore head the following day after a night on an open bar tab.

You can hear more about Simon's experiences on the BBC World Service programme Go Digital
Go Digital:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/1478157.stm

It's going to be interesting when someone cracks the database and copies the ID numbers.

"Where were you at 1am this morning?"
"At home, in bed, alone."
"That's interesting. This log says you were at the club where the murder took place. Come with us, please."

If I were paranoid, I might start thinking, "Now, suppose I wanted to sell the world on the idea of a personal ID chip. How would I do it? I just might make it the unique feature of an upscale nightclub that attracts young movers and shakers. Hmm..."

If I were paranoid.

:wow:

My understanding is that the little tracker specks being put into consumer products do not enable you to be tracked at all because they can only be detected in a very localised area (e.g.at the till, or the shop entrance). The worry is not that you will be tracked, but that databases of your consumer habits will be built up without your consent.

Governments cannot track people because it breaches the law. Remember, under the Geneva Convention we all have the right to privacy.

I'm currently doing research into tracking technologies and there are benefits to it. For instance, tracking the location of children via their mobile phones can give parents peace of mind.

Worries about Big Brother are largely without foundation, but one word of warning is that practically every law we have, especially those to do with civil liberties, can be circumvented legally by citing "national security".

Feds approve human RFID implants

Hi

more RFID news:

source:
------------------------------------

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/14/human_rfid_implants/
By Thomas C Greene
Published Thursday 14th October 2004 23:43 GMT

quote:
----------------------------

Feds approve human RFID implants

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a gimmick from Florida-based Applied Digital Solutions to chip people with RFID implants - previously confined to tracking animals - thereby making it easy to access their medical records, even when they cannot, or would rather not, cooperate.

The tiny, passive RFID devices, called VeriChips, are injected under the hide. They do not contain the medical data in question, but instead store a unique ID number that is used to access records on a remote server maintained by Applied Digital, using a handheld reader. The chips are legal in numerous applications, but cannot be used as medical devices without FDA approval - which they now have got.

So, what is the problem that this technology solves? We don't think there is one, unless doctors' offices are being flooded with people who can't recall their own medical histories. Yes, some people do suffer from dementia, but these are most often found already in nursing facilities and hospitals, or at least supervised by a nurse or family member.

Of course, accident victims may be found unconscious, but a simple dog tag suffices to warn emergency crews of drug allergies and tricky medical conditions. And the dog tag has two distinct advantages: first, in non-emergency situations, the owner can prevent others from reading it simply by concealing it under the clothes; and second, the data is there: it doesn't suffer from availability problems, as remote servers so often do.

The company says that the chips will save lives and reduce medical errors, but we are not persuaded. Indeed, if, during an emergency, the data were unavailable due to some technical glitch, and the patient were unconscious, the VeriChip might cost lives that a simple dog tag or bracelet would have saved. Medical data availability is a serious safety issue, as we discussed previously.

Technology for its own sake
For the moment, Applied Digital implies (but does not actually guarantee) that chip owners will be the only people permitted to add or delete medical data in their database. But this could change over time, and the idea that some alarmist quack or passionately risk-averse hospital administrator might be permitted to embellish one's records is decidedly frightening. One would need an ironclad guarantee, with serious teeth, asserting that no such thing will happen, before submitting to the hypo.

And then there's the question of access. Once you've got an implanted RFID chip, you necessarily lose control over the people who might wish to read it. You have a unique identifier that can be read without your knowledge. Thus there is nothing to prevent, say, businesses or government bureaux from surreptitiously reading one's VeriChip, and correlating one's ID number with their own set of criteria, hosted on their own remote servers, for whatever purposes their twisted bureaucratic minds can conceive.

And Applied Digital certainly is thinking along these lines. Indeed, the medical care angle looks like a warm-and-fuzzy gimmick to speed adoption so that other, potentially more sinister, applications might follow.

"VeriChip can enhance airport security, airline security, cruise ship security, intelligent transportation and port congestion management. In these markets, VeriChip could function as a stand-alone, tamper-proof personal verification technology," the company's PR boilerplate explains.

We doubt that many people will go for this scheme, but if it were to succeed commercially, it seems plausible that the embedded RFID chip could eventually become a universal identifier, like the Social Security number, which itself was not intended to be a universal identifier but has in fact become one. Mission creep happens.

Unique RF identity chips and concealed RF readers everywhere: madmen have been complaining about this since the earliest days of radio. That's how we knew they were madmen. Only an IT industry divorced from any sense of good taste and human dignity, in which technology becomes an end in itself, could strive to make the nightmares of the insane a common reality. And yet, here we are. ®

Thomas C Greene is the author of Computer Security for the Home and Small Office, a comprehensive guide to system hardening, malware protection, online anonymity, encryption, and data hygiene for Windows and Linux.
--------------------------

endquote

Mal F

(great news for those without current medical insurance etc.)

Technology for its own sake? Perhaps. Perhaps it's technology for the sake of profits. Capitalism thrives on technological innovation - the better mousetrap. Something new to make and sell keeps the plant running. If no one wants the new product, hire an ad company to make them want it. Tell them it's for "security", "peace of mind", "your children's safety." There's a buyer born every minute.

and the Club chip reaches the Uk - link

This chip makes sure you always buy your round

Lorna Martin
Sunday January 16, 2005
The Observer

The old excuse 'I've left my wallet at home' will soon no longer hold when it's your round. A nightclub is about to offer its regulars the option of having a microchip implanted in their arm that will obviate the need to carry cash or plastic.

Queuing for entry or a drink at the bar would also become a thing of the past when the 'digital wallet' is introduced by Bar Soba in Glasgow. The chip is already proving popular with VIP members at two nightclubs in Barcelona and Rotterdam.

While the concept strikes critics as Orwellian, others believe that, as we stride ever-closer towards a cashless society, it is only a matter of time before the chip becomes a method of fraud-proof common currency.

Brad Stevens, owner of Bar Soba, said his motivation for introducing the technology was to be cutting-edge and to reward loyal customers. He said he had received a surprisingly enthusiastic response from regulars.

'There are a number of advantages from instant access to one of our many exclusive DJ and VIP nights and not having to carry money or credit cards to letting bar staff know a customer's name and favourite drink. By the time you walk through the door to the bar, your favourite drink is waiting for you and the bar staff can greet you by name.'

However, he also recognised the risks. 'There is a danger that, if a person's not carrying cash, they could just keep on drinking. But we're looking at ways of setting a limit on how much can be spent.'

The VeriChip is the size of a grain of rice, does not set off airport scanners and contains no power supply. It is encased inside a glass and silicone cylinder and implanted by a medical professional, under local anaesthetic, between the layer of fat and skin on the upper arm.
The chip, which has a life span of about 20 years, lies dormant until a scanner is passed over it, sending out a low-range radio frequency. It responds to the signal and supplies the scanner with its unique ID number. How that number is used depends on the database the scanner is hooked up to. In the case of Soba, it will be the balance on a person's bar account.

Steve van Soest is one of more than 100 people who have been 'chipped' at Baja Beach Club in Barcelona since it became the first to offer the procedure in March.

'The main benefit is that you can go out without having to carry a wallet, which can get easily lost in a nightclub,' he said.

He said he had no reservations about having the chip implanted, adding that he can only feel it when he stretches his arm.

'It would be great if this catches on and you could put all your personal details and medical records on it. If I was involved in an accident, doctors could simply scan me and find out my blood group and any allergies.'

The chip is similar to more than 25 million already embedded in animals across the world acting as 'pet passports'. Before being used in humans, it has undergone stringent tests and doctors say it is extremely safe.

But critics regard this technology as a growing threat, giving potentially dangerous new power to businesses and government. A recent report by the American Civil Liberties Union said: 'Scarcely a month goes by in which we don't read about some new high-tech way to invade people's privacy, from face recognition to implantable microchips, DNA chips, and even brain wave fingerprinting.'

Not sure if this is quite the right place but.........

House backs major shift to electronic IDs

Published: February 10, 2005, 5:46 PM PST
By Declan McCullagh
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
TrackBack Print E-mail TalkBack

The U.S. House of Representatives approved on Thursday a sweeping set of rules aimed at forcing states to issue all adults federally approved electronic ID cards, including driver's licenses.

Under the rules, federal employees would reject licenses or identity cards that don't comply, which could curb Americans' access to airplanes, trains, national parks, federal courthouses and other areas controlled by the federal government. The bill was approved by a 261-161 vote.

The measure, called the Real ID Act, says that driver's licenses and other ID cards must include a digital photograph, anticounterfeiting features and undefined "machine-readable technology, with defined minimum data elements" that could include a magnetic strip or RFID tag. The Department of Homeland Security would be charged with drafting the details of the regulation.

Republican politicians argued that the new rules were necessary to thwart terrorists, saying that four of the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackers possessed valid state-issued driver's licenses. "When I get on an airplane and someone shows ID, I'd like to be sure they are who they say they are," said Rep. Tom Davis, a Virginia Republican, during a floor debate that started Wednesday.

States would be required to demand proof of the person's Social Security number and confirm that number with the Social Security Administration. They would also have to scan in documents showing the person's date of birth and immigration status, and create a massive store "so that the (scanned) images can be retained in electronic storage in a transferable format" permanently.

Another portion of the bill says that states would be required to link their DMV databases if they wished to receive federal funds. Among the information that must be shared: All data fields printed on drivers' licenses and identification cards, and complete drivers' histories, including motor vehicle violations, suspensions and points on licenses.

The Bush administration threw its weight behind the Real ID Act, which has been derided by some conservative and civil liberties groups as tantamount to a national ID card. The White House said in a statement this week that it "strongly supports House passage" of the bill.

Thursday's vote mostly fell along party lines. About 95 percent of the House Republicans voted for the bill, which had been prepared by the judiciary committee chairman, F. James Sensenbrenner, a Wisconsin Republican. More than three-fourths of the House Democrats opposed it.

Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton, a Democrat from Washington, D.C., charged that Republicans were becoming hypocrites by trampling on states' rights. "I thought the other side of the aisle extols federalism at all times," Norton said. "Yes, even in hard times, even when you're dealing with terrorism. So what's happening now? Why are those who speak up for states whenever it strikes their fancy doing this now?"

Civil libertarians and firearm rights groups condemned the bill before the vote. The American Civil Liberties Union likened the new rules to a "de facto national ID card," saying that the measure would force "states to deny driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants" and make DMV employees act as agents of the federal immigration service.

Because an ID is required to purchase a firearm from a dealer, Gun Owners of America said the bill amounts to a "bureaucratic back door to implementation of a national ID card." The group warned that it would "empower the federal government to determine who can get a driver's license--and under what conditions."

Source

Back