• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rhubarb

And Rhubarb contains Oxalic acid (mainly in the leaves) which is very good at removing stains from metal saucepans.
Boil up some Rhubarb in a pan of water to remove the stains.

Mother-in Law's pans are like new. Her wok is gleaming. You'd think she'd just bought it. It looks too 'clinical'. Our wok is burnt all over- just like a proper wok should be. Ken would be proud of our wok.

I'd like to get a look at her gleaming pans.

Not your crusty old receptacles.

Mother-in Law's pans are like new. Her wok is gleaming. You'd think she'd just bought it. It looks too 'clinical'. Our wok is burnt all over- just like a proper wok should be. Ken would be proud of our wok.
It's the sesame oil, really forms a crust.

I lived on Lantau island for about a year, in the village of Pui O. You would often see little old ladies cleaning their woks very thoroughly.

Me and a mate were once sitting on his first floor balcony fascinated to watch/listen to two old dears, in separate courtyards some distance from each other, having a lively and jovial shouting conversation as they diligently cleaned their woks.

I lived on Lantau island for about a year, in the village of Pui O. You would often see little old ladies cleaning their woks very thoroughly.

Me and a mate were once sitting on his first floor balcony fascinated to watch/listen to two old dears, in separate courtyards some distance from each other, having a lively and jovial shouting conversation as they diligently cleaned their woks.
Unnecessary wok cleaning aside, I think we need to know more about your fantastic life on this island (and elsewhere) P. I know it will be very difficult to compete with my time in exotic Crewe and Stoke, but I would love to hear about your travels. (Seriously).

I have used sesame, but not for a while. But it's the outside that's got a lovely char to it. Like it should.
Eh? Don't you want the business side to be properly seasoned? I was always under the impression that a properly seasoned wok* (they were traditionally sold with a block of lard, to use in the seasoning process) should basically be non-stick. Like this guy's:
I gather it's something to do with the high temperatures and fat/oil combining to either extract or add carbon from/to the steel, making it more non-sticky.
See above: a quick sluice of water and a gentle brush ought to be plenty. Although I can well imagine the process being drawn out as a cover for a rest and a natter, and who'd blame them?

* I've never managed to achieve this myself, mind. We're not a meat-eating couple, although our children sometimes do partake, so lard is off the menu. I'll try the sesame oil trick one of these days.

You can buy crumble MIX now. What a time to be alive.
I keep some in, along with tinned custard, in case any passing Bramleys or sticks of rhubarb stray near my stewing pan.
I have been known to chastise the odd customer who's been in bemoaning the fact that we don't have any crumble mix or scone mix or batter mix in on the shelves. I think we should be allowed to just stick the recipe up in the empty space (most of the packet mixes are just flour and sugar, you have to add the butter etc yourself. Useful if you don't have any flour or sugar in the house though).

My memory may well be faulty, other pots/pan may well have been being cleaned but, as this was Hong Kong, woks were certainly involved.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I didn't believe you. I'm fully prepared to accept older Hong Kong women have a much better idea about the best care and husbandry for a wok than I do...

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I didn't believe you. I'm fully prepared to accept older Hong King women have a much better idea about the best care and husbandry for a wok than I do...

Oh, no problem, I wasn't offended at all. Your post made me think about exactly how good my memory was (as every good Fortean should)

Eh? Don't you want the business side to be properly seasoned?
Oh yes, the inside should be seasoned and I did mine (not with lard though), but I was just saying how mine is also 'charred/blackened' on the outside- which the flames do over time- whereas the M-I-L's looks like it's brand new as she cleans it to within an inch of it's life every time it's used.

Eh? Don't you want the business side to be properly seasoned? I was always under the impression that a properly seasoned wok* (they were traditionally sold with a block of lard, to use in the seasoning process) should basically be non-stick. Like this guy's:
I gather it's something to do with the high temperatures and fat/oil combining to either extract or add carbon from/to the steel, making it more non-sticky.

See above: a quick sluice of water and a gentle brush ought to be plenty. Although I can well imagine the process being drawn out as a cover for a rest and a natter, and who'd blame them?

* I've never managed to achieve this myself, mind. We're not a meat-eating couple, although our children sometimes do partake, so lard is off the menu. I'll try the sesame oil trick one of these days.
Yes. that's the colour a wok should be.

Back