• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rhubarb

Yup. . . I believe that is entirely my error, as I added 'per 100mg' at the end of the list - never spotted that myself! (the post only gave the first item in the list as, i.e. Swiss Chard = 700mg per 100mg)

Last edited:
I think it's funny that the recipe suggests that homegrown rhubarb is best. It is very difficult to get anything but "homegrown". Rhubarb is usually only available fresh and in season here. Often the small markets purchase it from locals to sell.
I guess by homegrown they just mean not the floppy stuff in supermarkets that’s been sat around for weeks in a plastic bag.

I think it's funny that the recipe suggests that homegrown rhubarb is best. It is very difficult to get anything but "homegrown". Rhubarb is usually only available fresh and in season here. Often the small markets purchase it from locals to sell.
*Note: I believe I'm correct in saying that forced Rhubarb contains less Oxalic Acid.

Thanks, I will it isn't that far.
Once many years ago at the Harrogate Flower Show I spoke to someone from the Northern Fruit Group (You’d have been proud of me, my face didn’t even twitch)
He reckoned that warming temperatures were forcing proper apple growing further north. French apples being only good for cider or cooking. Soon, he reckoned, Kent and Somerset would be too warm.
As evidence he offered:
French Golden Delicious, green and mushy
New Zealand Golden Delicious, Yellow and crisp
I’ve never seen the latter but once worked with a New Zealander who’d just bought some French Golden delicious. I won’t repeat what he said but it wasn’t complimentary.
Don’t know how true this is but most apples in supermarkets now are appalling, Cox’s or Russets being about the best
Sorry strayed from rhubarb and don’t get me on the rock hard pinky/orange/green things they sell as tomatoes.

Yeah supermarket apples are uniformly terrible. Egremont Russet are about the best you can hope for, even then I don't think I've seen them in as many places the past 5 years or so. The difference eating an apple fresh off the tree is like night and day, even with something like Spartan.

It wouldn't surprise me if the climate thing is true, apples are a cool-climate fruit.

*Note: I believe I'm correct in saying that forced Rhubarb contains less Oxalic Acid.
Not sure why this was a reply to my post. I don't know anything about rhubarb and oxalic acid content. I just thought that the comments in the recipe provided by JaneD were amusing.

Yeah supermarket apples are uniformly terrible. Egremont Russet are about the best you can hope for, even then I don't think I've seen them in as many places the past 5 years or so. The difference eating an apple fresh off the tree is like night and day, even with something like Spartan.

It wouldn't surprise me if the climate thing is true, apples are a cool-climate fruit.
Waitrose ae about the only place round here (Kent) that sells them actually in season. To be fair they sell other "speciality" varieties but most of them taste the same!

Not sure why this was a reply to my post. I don't know anything about rhubarb and oxalic acid content. I just thought that the comments in the recipe provided by JaneD were amusing.
Because it is the preferred method of growing Rhubarb - (sweeter taste), than the supermarket product, or the large garden grown 'normal' Rhubarb stalks.

Back