• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Richard Dawkins

Anyone who says so must be decapitated!
Indeed! I must be getting soft in my old age, though. After making that post, I immediately felt bad that my first reaction to hearing of his stroke was to make a cynical anti-religious post.

Get well soon, Mr Dawkins.

CofE Defends Its Prayer for Prof. Dawkins

Really??? The CofE has to defend itself for doing what it's meant to do; care about people?

I entered the CofE not because of a belief in God but because I am moved by the message of love that Jesus conveyed (mock me all you like about that). The CofE doesn't have to agree with someone to care about them and anyway, despite their differences, the CofE seems to respect Richard Dawkins and, so far as I can tell, appreciates his argument with religion.

To suggest that a Church would sarcastically offer a prayer for somebody's well being is simply astounding and says rather a lot more about the person suggesting that than it does about the CofE. I like to imagine that Richard Dawkins accepts it as a genuine expression of concern, regardless of his disbelieve in God or the power of prayer.

CofE Defends Its Prayer for Prof. Dawkins

Really??? The CofE has to defend itself for doing what it's meant to do; care about people?

I entered the CofE not because of a belief in God but because I am moved by the message of love that Jesus conveyed (mock me all you like about that). The CofE doesn't have to agree with someone to care about them and anyway, despite their differences, the CofE seems to respect Richard Dawkins and, so far as I can tell, appreciates his argument with religion.

To suggest that a Church would sarcastically offer a prayer for somebody's well being is simply astounding and says rather a lot more about the person suggesting that than it does about the CofE. I like to imagine that Richard Dawkins accepts it as a genuine expression of concern, regardless of his disbelieve in God or the power of prayer.

Quite nice of CoE to pray for Dawkins. Dd they expect Justin to put a curse on him?

It sounds like it's just Twitter being twattish as usual. Too many 'news' stories these days are about the comments and reactions on that site rather than actual events.
True enough. Twitter can be great, for instance if your're me and happen to be social media stalking Mark Gatiss!, but it also allows obnoxious people to express obnoxious views. Six of one and half a dozen of the other...

Anyway, love and best wishes to Prof. Dawkins for a speedy and full recovery. I worked in his college and nearly did myself a mischief running to hold open a gate for him and his bike one lunch-time!

I worked in his college and nearly did myself a mischief running to hold open a gate for him and his bike one lunch-time!

I'd have done that.
Well, I'm civil enough to hold a gate for nearly anyone, especially a cyclist, but it'd be a peculiar honour to trip over my own feet in the rush to be polite to dear Prof Dawkins. :cool:

I'd have done that.
Well, I'm civil enough to hold a gate for nearly anyone, especially a cyclist, but it'd be a peculiar honour to trip over my own feet in the rush to be polite to dear Prof Dawkins. :cool:
It was the day I discovered 1) that I can run really fast if the goal is great enough and 2) that I have no sense of embarrassment in such circumstances. Unlike the day I opened the same gate and found the Lewis film crew on the other side staring at me. I scurried back to my office and wouldn't leave until someone else had checked the crew had left for the day!

Have we had any update on the wellbeing of the gaytheist yet? ...

Good luck to Richard Dawkins with his T.I.A. (mini stroke) .... until then, a repeat post of this video. NSFW

Glorious! The effety effer swears even more beautifully than Richard E. Grant.

And:

Satanic Monkeyes in Hell - possibly one of the finest thrash metal bands to have never existed

Bitch Licker - the Prodigy/Aphex Twin mash-up

I'm going to have to stop watching that video before I start using the phrases in conversation!

I'm seriously saddened to read this news.

Love him (or dislike him, he's impossible to hate) I for one have always had a massive respect for Dawkins' intellect and wit. To hear him trying to dispassionately describe his current condition brings tears to my (presumably, or is it definitively?) 'designoid' eye.

No sentient being deserves to suffer a conscious erosion-of-self, and to register in shocked disbelief the comment that "if one had to have a stroke, this was a good kind" is just jarringly....RD.

A giant amongst our kind, in every layered meaning of that loaded sentence. Get seriously well, soon, Prof Dawkins. We need you, now, and for as long as you, and we, can stay at the party.

Glorious! The effety effer swears even more beautifully than Richard E. Grant.

And:

Satanic Monkeyes in Hell - possibly one of the finest thrash metal bands to have never existed
I used to work at a school for troubled kids, there was one lad who's swearing was magnificent ... he was the William Shakespeare of swearing and could quickly string a sentence of expletives together at the drop of a hat .. I was on a cigarette break with his school teacher and we were both in secret admiration of his skills but then you can't encourage kids to swear so we could never tell him how good he was at it :)

he was the William Shakespeare of swearing
Did he use iambic pentametres? Mind you, that would've shown that did give a f**k.

The trick must be to avoid too much repetition, and maintain clarity alongside spontaneous vigour. Bit of a bastard, really.

Did he use iambic pentametres? Mind you, that would've shown that did give a f**k.

The trick must be to avoid too much repetition, and maintain clarity alongside spontaneous vigour. Bit of a bastard, really.
Yes. Yes he did ... his swearing was so effortless he might as well have instead been asking you how may sugars you liked in your tea.

Interesting debate-esque interview here:

https://www.aljazeera.com/videos/2013/7/20/is-religion-good-or-evil

I don't generally rate Mehdi Hasan, but he plays a spirited game here and has done his homework (except for believing in winged horses). Dawkins was quite right when he said that the 'opiate of the masses' was an out of context quotation. Were Hitchens present, he would have given the full quote and body slammed Hasan for sloppy thinking.

Edit: old interview but previously unseen by me.

Annoy the the islamic fundamentalists and their woke cheerleaders, retweet and post this message!

Richard Dawkins @RichardDawkins

Meeting ex-Muslim atheists who’ve found refuge in Germany from death-threats in their home theocracies, makes me more than ever proud of
@center4inquiry’s project to translate my books into Arabic, Urdu, Farsi & Indonesian, for free pdf download. https://bit.ly/32zx1Hy
8:58 AM · Nov 11, 2019·Twitter for Android
https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/1193815350330056704/retweets

Hitchens is a supporter of the Occupation of Iraq, Dawkins is in the Anti-War Camp.

Well heres an article from the New Statesman by Dawkins.

Happy Newton Day to you all!

http://www.newstatesman.com/200712130029
Such seasonal opportunism continues to this day. In some states of the US, public display of cribs and similar Christian symbols is outlawed for fear of offending Jews and others (not atheists). Seasonal marketing appetites are satisfied nationwide by a super-ecumenical "Holiday Season", into which are commandeered the Jewish Hanukkah, Muslim Ramadan, and the gratuitously fabricated "Kwanzaa" (invented in 1966 so that African Americans could celebrate their very own winter solstice). Americans coyly wish each other "Happy Holiday Season" and spend vast amounts on "Holiday" presents.

Ramadan can be in any month as it is 10-12 days earlier each year.

Back