• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Richard O'Sullivan

doctorwho4

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I read a report the other day that stated the comedian Norman Wisom was planning to go into a nursing home where one of the other residents was the actor Richard O'Sullivan. Now the strange thing is I could have sworn he died about fifteen years ago! :? Any other reports of people you thought were dead out there?

Are you perhaps mixing Sullivan up with Richard Beckinsale?

nope, definitely O'Sullivan, Beckinsale died in 1979 aged 30 - iremember the news reports at the time :(

Gosh - he's only 62! What a shame. I used to drink in the same pub as him and the last time I saw him was probably about 15 years ago.

Norman Wisdom is 91 years old.

Gordon

Any idea why he got out of showbiz?
I mean, after his success in the 70s, his career pretty well disappeared, which I thought was odd.

Mythopoeika said:
I mean, after his success in the 70s, his career pretty well disappeared, which I thought was odd.
from imdb
# Holed (1996) .... Henry
# "The Hypnotic World of Paul McKenna"
- Episode #2.2 (1994) TV Episode
# "Trouble in Mind" (1991) TV Series .... Adam Charlesworth
# Mr. H Is Late (1988) (TV) .... Breakfasting neighbour
# "Me and My Girl" (1984) TV Series .... Simon Harrap
# "Dick Turpin" (1980) .... Dick Turpin
# "Robin's Nest" (1977) TV Series .... Robin Tripp
# "Man About the House" (1974).... Robin Tripp

Gordon

Sorry to hear he's unwell. Since I doubt he's reading this, it's probably not too cruel to mention that he's often been called the least talented of all child-actors.

He was in countless movies as a juvenile. I last spotted him in Dangerous Exile, made in 1957. He was always notably bad, even by the low standards expected of kiddies in movies.

Just the thought of his tv comedies produces a wave of horrible depression.

Even so, he does not really deserve his terrible fate and and I do wish him well. :(

"Dead....and BURIED!"

An old girlfriend and I (she was a retired university-level lecturer in philosophy and logic) realized nearly a quarter-of-a-century ago that some celebrities seem to die more than the regulation once-to-a-customer.

We'd read obituaries aloud to each other from the newspaper and then we'd both shout "Dead....and BURIED!", because we were both absolutely certain that we'd read the same news about the same person years before - in some cases on more than one occasion.

In later years the occult/psychic writer and theorist Starfire Tor has written extensively and cogently on exactly this same thing.

"People Are Less Dead than They Used to Be"

Several Decembers ago the same friend and I sat watching Christmas-season televison specials featuring such famous but deceased performers as Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Tennessee Ernie Ford and Jack Benny.

"Have you ever noticed," I remarked, "that dead people are less dead than they used to be?"

She gave me the strangest look.

The following December we sat watching different Christmas programs but still featuring the same deceased performers.

"You're right," she said to me.

"Huh?" I replied.

"How soon you forget," she said. "Dead people ARE less dead than they used to be."

gordonrutter said:
Mythopoeika said:
from imdb

Gordon

Yeah, I looked him up on IMDB too. Just look at the huge gaps between projects - typically 3 or 4 years. He must have either found it hard to scrape a living, or he made so much money when he was younger, that he didn't feel like working hard.

Incidentally, during my youth, he lived not far away. Somebody I knew had a passing acquaintance with him. I seem to recall he was rich, so obviously he didn't need the work.

Mythopoeika said:
Incidentally, during my youth, he lived not far away. Somebody I knew had a passing acquaintance with him. I seem to recall he was rich, so obviously he didn't need the work.

Yeah when he turned up in my local pub it was in a huge red ferarri nad this will have been early '90's so when he wasn't really doing much!

Good investments?

Gordon

Mythopoeika said:
gordonrutter said:
Mythopoeika said:
from imdb

Gordon

Yeah, I looked him up on IMDB too. Just look at the huge gaps between projects - typically 3 or 4 years. He must have either found it hard to scrape a living, or he made so much money when he was younger, that he didn't feel like working hard.

He may have been stage work/touring.

Seems a bit young for retirement, doesn't he! However, if he's had a stroke, he'll be in need of some level of care, poor man. :(

Do you think we should start the Richard O'Sullivan Appreciation Society and get him rehabiliated and back onto our t.v screens? :idea: Anyway, thanks everyone for confirming he's still with us - I always liked him in Doctor in the House, Robin's Nest and those other series :D :D

It's worth watching Man About The House even just the once, so you can watch the end credits.

They run over photos of sets of three things - two hairbrushes and a comb, two purses and a wallet, two stilettoes and a boot, that sort of thing.

The last one shows three ornaments - two cats and a rooster. Quite daring for 1970-something! I only noticed it a year or so ago on satty TV.

Robin's Nest currently being repeated on Talking Pictures TV, Richard O'Sullivan fans!

"People Are Less Dead than They Used to Be"

Several Decembers ago the same friend and I sat watching Christmas-season televison specials featuring such famous but deceased performers as Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Tennessee Ernie Ford and Jack Benny.

"Have you ever noticed," I remarked, "that dead people are less dead than they used to be?"

She gave me the strangest look.

The following December we sat watching different Christmas programs but still featuring the same deceased performers.

"You're right," she said to me.

"Huh?" I replied.

"How soon you forget," she said. "Dead people ARE less dead than they used to be."

Interesting that I should happen upon this thread tonight... Earlier we were listening to the radio and Rehab by Amy Winehouse came on. After a while, it dawned on me that she was dead, but because her songs are so often played, it doesn't seem as though she's dead. David Bowie, George Michael, Prince &c. I guess before recording equipment existed, once you were gone, you were gone.

As a sidenote, I sometimes feel sorry for actors/actresses who are mostly renowned for their stage roles. Unless you're on at the NT or on the rare occasions when plays are filmed (Abigail's Party, for instance), their memory will only live on as long as the people who saw them live do.

Back