• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Richard Stanley's Early Films (Hardware & Dust Devil)

Just had a quick look about - he's been asked for comment, but has said nothing (so far).

It's bad news if it's true... but maybe he needs to be fairly tried before people draw such conclusions.

Has Stanley responded to the blog post?
This is his Facebook message-
As you are doubtless aware, I am currently under attack by a conspiracy to annihilate me and erase my work from 21st century culture. It is not my place here to refute the increasingly hysterical allegations that have been laid against me other than to say they are not only untrue but lack any legal basis although sadly it is no longer the case that an individual is innocent until proven guilty in our society. I am currently acting on advise to disable my social media and not to make any further comment on this affair until an official statement can be released to the media. Wish me luck - R x
Quite a few fans are still in his corner - they assume/hope the allegations are untrue - including the director of The Howling II!

The latest from Richard Stanley:
https://www.facebook.com/1207327430...6HFwz8B8nN7B3MT9qN84UHDHpbZUL4EhM3XAwNVl/?d=n
777 - the Tribunal Judiciare of Carcassonne has upheld charges against Tracy Robertson (aka ‘Scarlett Amaris) and her principal enabler Tonelise Rugaas ( aka ‘Shelly Gonzalez’ aka ‘horrortainment news’). Both are charged with harassment, libel, defamation and ‘behaviour having as its object or effect a degradation of working conditions which may infringe the rights to human dignity, health or a professional career’ under France’s Code Penal and Code Travail.
Having considered the evidence and depositions submitted by all parties the Court has decided I have no case to answer to. The first page of the official ordonnance outlining the charges can be found appended below (my home address has been redacted in hot pink - for obvious reasons).
The tribunal further recommended the psychological examination of my accusers, the so-called ‘witches’, in the hope of getting a handle on their motives and have requested the police reopen their investigation into the circumstances surrounding the 777 attack. I welcome this initiative and while the accused have already fled the country, I look forward to seeing justice done.
In this strangest of cases the term ‘witch’ is not intended as a pejorative as my assailants openly identify as ‘witches’ with Madame Rugaas claiming close ties to the Ordo Templi Orientis (OTO), an organisation identified as a ‘cult’ in report no. 2468 of the National Assembly’s commission of inquiry into sects in France while Madame Robertson is an adherent of the Cult of Hecate, the Queen of Hell. Both stand accused of using tactics similar to the Inquisitors in days of old to incite further false allegations from their victims and the use of ’coercive control techniques’ designed to induce a state of murderous mass hysteria among their numerous all-too-willing on-line followers. Certainly hell is what they raised in the mass unconscious of the technosphere. Having destroyed not only my livelihood but the lives and careers of dozens of others, wiping out hundreds of jobs resulting in literally millions of dollars in lost revenues, the time has come for the ‘witches’ to take cognisance of their karma. I hope to announce civil charges against their co-conspirators in the United States v. shortly and will be following the trail of digital evidence back to its source in Hollywood. In the meantime, I should like to thank all those who have stood by me during these dangerous days and continue to stand by me. I am an innocent man, alive and at liberty, nor have I ever been convicted of any criminal wrong doing anywhere on this planet. An official press release will be issued once the tribunal’s final ruling has been handed down and convictions secured.
If the accused happen to be reading this statement, take this opportunity to reflect and embrace the light. Step away from the abyss and the pointless malice of the past. Renounce the crooked path that leads to self-destruction and do not risk more innocent lives being caught in the crossfire. End this nightmare now. It is not too late. Know we have all been manipulated and played like puppets by forces we barely understand, both corporate, sociological and supernatural. Embrace the true meaning of 777 and know that if I have learned anything at all from this whole ghastly affair it is that fire burns but also illuminates. Lies and calumnies cannot stand in the face of the truth.
If any of the accused’s followers are reading these words, I advise you to get off the train now - the bridge is down up ahead and we are speeding towards it. Here’s hoping for a swift end to this pointless war and for peace, love and magic to prevail - R x #777 #truthwillout

More here
https://www.theofficialrichardstanley.com/press/20220621/Richard-Stanley-Press-Release.pdf

And here:

Color Out of Space: Richard Stanley is back, directing and co-writing a new adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's short story. There are shades of The Thing, Videodrome , Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers and even Poltergeist in this film but they contribute to a synthesis which Stanley can claim as his own. Nathan (Nicolas Cage) has moved his family to a remote farm where he raises alpacas and grows tomatoes. Each member of the family are unhappy in their own way: Nathan is a frustrated artist who drinks too much; his wife Theresa (Joely Richardson), a financial adviser has had a mastectomy, she can't get a good connection with the wifi; daughter Lavinia (Madeline Arthur) turns to Wicca and performs rituals to cure her mother, older son Benny (Brendan Meyer) smokes pot, younger son Jack (Julian Hilliard) is introverted and only relates to the dog Sam. Nathan says they're living the dream but who dreams of shoveling alpaca crap?

Things liven up when a meteorite falls nearby, giving off strange colours. Soon local flora and fauna are being affected, this is no ordinary fallen stone. Ever been menaced by a mutated moggie? Even stranger things happen to the alpacas, as for the tomatoes, they give Cage an excuse to chew up the scenery. It also becomes obvious that humans are coming under the control of a malign force. Also involved in this mess are Ezra (Tommy Chong), a tech savvy hippie who lives off the grid and realises all is not well along with Ward (Elliot Knight), a hydrologist who notices that the water is contaminated. Nathan's incompetence as a farmer is the butt of many jokes, when a TV team come to report on the meteorite he is described as an amateur farmer and bourbon connoisseur.

But there is little other humour in the film apart from Cage going crazy, he starts off being a bit cranky but ends up not just chewing but literally devouring the scenery. This is a disturbing film, the menace starts off slowly but Ward's voice-over of the strange tree and hills and glens of the country near Arkham sets a sinister tone. The ineffable colour itself provides the Lovecraftian tentacles here as they reach out, smite and coerce. Scenes of savage violence and grotesque horror predominate in the latter part of Color as it proceeds to a grand guignol finale . Not a film for the squeamish or faint of heart. The good news is that this is the first of a planned trilogy of Lovecraft adaptations by Stanley. 8/10.
You're more generous than me ramon. Here's my take.

Colour Out Of Space

Meh. It purported to be sci-fi but everything about it was more like an 'evil spirit unleashed in remote house' movie. Many of the usual cliches. Also suffered from Nicholas Cage syndrome.

I watched this a few months ago and thought it was great.

And I can't quite agree with the lack of humour. There are no real 'ha-ha' moments, but Cage's highly strung meltdown (best film of his I've watched for a while), presaged by the gradual, tense build-up, is a source of nervous grins throughout.

Most importantly, there's no attempt to explain or rationalise the events that befall the family; when the stars are wrong, victims fall at random and in mind-warping ways they are quite unable to comprehend.

John Carpenter with neon and lots of gore.

Back