• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Richard Wiseman

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Do you want to appear on the cover of New Scientist?

What's in a face? Much more than you may realise. Our faces speak volumes about us, and we're all experts at reading those signals even if we're not consciously aware of it.

Women are attracted to men who look like their fathers, and men are attracted to women who resemble their mothers, according to one recent project. Another study - of ice hockey players - found that men with round faces tend to be more aggressive.

Now we would like you to help explore the relationship between facial appearance and personality in a project devised for New Scientist by Richard Wiseman of the University of Hertfordshire and Rob Jenkins of the University of Glasgow.

The results will help to push back the frontiers of science and you could get to appear on the front cover of New Scientist.

How to take part
Taking part should take no more than a few minutes. It involves answering some simple questions, and then emailing us a photograph of yourself.

We'll merge all of the male, and all of the female, photographs together, to form two composite images that will be published on the cover of a future issue of New Scientist magazine. We'll merge other groups of pictures together to help uncover whether personality really can be read from a face.

We need to give it a fortean spin. ;)

I'm up for it. :D

Right, done that!

[sings] When, will I, will I be famous..? [/sings]

(I was tempted to send them the pic of me from two years ago, with a grotesque black eye that I got in the fall that broke my shoulder, but I resisted! :D )

Oh shame, that'd've been a great addition! :lol:

I'll have to root out a nice snap of meself. Most of my photos're of my pets. :roll:

escargot1 said:
Oh shame, that'd've been a great addition! :lol:

I'll have to root out a nice snap of meself. Most of my photos're of my pets. :roll:

Send one of one of the mutts, that'd skew their statistics... :twisted:

I've sent a piccie

Wiseman is after more photos - of ghosts!

Ghost photographs to be submitted for Edinburgh Science Festival
Members of the public are being invited to send photographs of alleged ghosts as part of the Edinburgh Science Festival.

Last Updated: 11:26PM GMT 09 Mar 2009

Hundreds of paranormal pictures are expected to be submitted online where they will be examined to see if any defy explanation.

Ghost-debunking psychologist Professor Richard Wiseman, who is heading the experiment, said: "About once a month I get sent a fairly good ghost photo where it's not immediately obvious what's going on.

"Often you might see what looks like a face in semi-darkness but its just a trick of the light. The human brain is hard-wired to see faces, for instance in clouds. That's because faces are the most important thing we can see around us.

"I'm pretty sceptical, and usually there's a rational explanation, but it could be that someone out there is sitting on something really interesting."

A number of ghost pictures can already be seen on the site http://scienceofghosts.wordpress.com

One of the strangest appears to be the face of a little girl poking between the legs of a group of friends. It was taken at a house where there have been sightings of a ghostly child aged three or four.

"Believe it or not it's just a very odd configuration of the light," said Prof Wiseman. "These are always the hardest ones to explain."

Another taken at a castle 22 years ago appears to show the transparent figure of a headless ghost in an army coat standing in front of two children playing on a cannon.

Prof Wiseman said: "The person who took it is absolutely convinced that it's a photo of the headless ghost who walks around the castle walls. Maybe he's angry with the kids playing around. This one might be a double exposure."

A survey of people's ghostly experiences is also being launched at the Edinburgh Science Festival.

"Ten per cent of the population have had a ghostly experience, but no-one yet has carried out a survey of what kind of experiences they have," said Prof Wiseman. "We know ghosts tend to be seen as solid figures, which only reveal themselves as ghosts when they do something like walking through a wall."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... tival.html

(We have a thread somewhere on that 'little girl' photo...)

More about ‘Hauntings’

On 4th April 2009, a host of experts will gather at ‘Hauntings‘ to examine the science and history of hauntings.

This unmissable one day public event forms part of the Edinburgh International Science Festival, and consists of seven talks exploring….

…the truth about scientific investigations into ‘haunted’ houses.

…how the brain can be fooled into seeing apparitions.

… whether spirit photographs offer evidence of the afterlife.

…and how poltergeists once panicked the nation.

Audience members will also have a unique opportunity to witness a genuine Victorian phantasmagoria, and meet the man who creates ghostly goings-on in Harry Potter movies.

The event will take place in the University of Edinburgh’s Anatomy Lecture Theatre - an atmospheric, spectacular and historical venue not usually open to the public.

http://scienceofghosts.wordpress.com/ha ... of-ghosts/

I have heard of someone who was very firmly bitten on the ass by a ghost.

Tantallon has 'previous'!

Is this another ghostly image caught on camera at Britain's most haunted castle?
By Fiona Macrae
Last updated at 7:06 PM on 01st April 2009

The image of a figure apparently wearing a ruff and centuries-old clothing was dismissed as nothing more than trick of the camera.
But the emergence of a second picture at the same location has made the possibility of ghostly goings-on rather more difficult to sweep aside.

Last week, a snap taken at Scotland's Tantallon Castle was named the world's best ghost picture.

Taken in May of last year, it appeared to show an eery figure high in the ruins. She seemed to be wearing period costume, including a frilled ruff.
The photographer thought he was alone at the time and tests have confirmed the image has not been digitally altered.

What is more, almost 40 per cent of those who saw the picture believed it showed a ghost.

Now, their case has been strengthened, with the emergence of another photo taken at the same castle 32 years ago.
Taken by Grace Lamb, it shows her late husband Hugh, and their two children Paul and Kelly, on their way home from a picnic.
But in the background, a ghostly figure appears to be staring out of a window high in Tantallon Castle, in North Berwick, East Lothian.
Mrs Lamb, a retired office worker who lives in Edinburgh, said: 'I didn't see a thing when I was taking it.

'When I got it developed, I was pleased that I hadn't managed to cut anyone's head off.
'My husband said "Not only have you got our heads in, you've got someone else's as well!"
'At first, I showed it to my friends but it has been lying in a drawer for 30 years. I never thought it would cause all this interest.'

Sceptics argue that the figures could simply have been unnoticed visitors or have been formed by unusual reflections of light against the wall and grille.

But Professor Richard Wiseman, who compiled a website of ghost photos for the Edinburgh International Science Festival, said it was not clear who or what was lurking high in the ruins.
The University of Hertfordshire psychologist said: 'It was fascinating to be sent this, as even though it is a higher part of the castle it is very similar to the original.

'I am pretty certain that it is simply a woman with a shopping bag but can't be 100 per cent certain.
'It is strange that it is in the same general location, but the site now has loads of photographs on and has had almost a million hits, so i guess that could be chance.'

Historic Scotland, which runs Tantallon Castle, said there was no history of ghosts at the castle but the image was 'intriguing'.

But others believe the is no room for doubt.
Alex Pryce, of the Edinburgh Skeptics group, said: 'When the picture is enlarged it is quite obvious it is a woman with a carrier bag in her hand and her handbag over her shoulder.
'With the previous picture, there was a bit of doubt over whether it was a ghost or a person or a trick of the light but this one is a woman.
'It is a woman in a pink jacket coming down some stairs with a shopping bag.' :roll:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... astle.html

Oh, now things are getting fun!

I can't really work out the shape of the figure though. Is there supposed to be a face in the red part?

Either way, it's strange that some indistinguishable shape has been photographed in the same place 32 years apart.

:)

Just found the same story elsewhere -

From The Scotsman (source):

Photo spooks experts in hunt for ghost of Tantallon Castle

APPARITION: A figure can be seen looking through the window in the background of Grace Lamb’s photo of her late husband Hugh and children Paul and Kelly on a visit to Tantallon Castle

View Gallery
ADVERTISEMENT
Published Date: 01 April 2009
By GARETH EDWARDS
NEW evidence which appears to back up claims that a ghost is stalking a Lothians castle has been uncovered.
Speculation over the presence of a ghost at Tantallon Castle in East Lothian was sparked by a picture released last week as part of an online experiment into the photographic evidence of the paranormal.

The startling image, taken in May last year, appeared to show a figure in period costume. The photographer claimed that they were unaware of anyone present at the time the image was taken, and that there were no actors at the castle in period costume.

Now another image which could show the same ghost has been presented to psychologist Professor Richard Wiseman, who has been running the study.

The image, which also appears to show a strange figure, was taken more than 30 years ago by Grace Lamb, 65, a retired office worker who stays at Crewe Toll, during a family trip to the castle.

It was a picture of her late husband Hugh, and their two children Paul and Kelly, but in the background, staring out of one of the windows, appears to be some kind of apparition. Mrs Lamb said they had always been curious about the mysterious figure, but they never thought of having it examined, until they read about Prof Wiseman's study. "We saw the other photo in all the papers, and it was my daughter who remembered the one we had taken," said Mrs Lamb.

"We went to Tantallon a few times when the children were younger. As soon as we got it home we all spotted this weird image in the background, and it has been quite a talking point for us."

Professor Wiseman, of the University of Hertfordshire, admitted it was another interesting image.

"It was fascinating to be sent this, as even though it is a higher part of the castle it is very similar to the original," he said.

"Since I launched the study I am getting a picture of a ghost every ten minutes, and I have to say 90 per cent of them are nonsense, but a few are very interesting."

Professor Wiseman has been carefully investigating the original image, with experts admitting it did not appear that the image had been digitally altered in any way.

It is possible that the face is a visitor to the castle and it was also suggested the image could have been caused by light reflection off the stone walls of the castle.

Alex Pryce, chairman of the Edinburgh Skeptics group, had a very straightforward explanation for the figure in Mrs Lamb's photo. "It is a woman in a pink jacket coming down some stairs with a shopping bag," he said.

Historic Scotland, which runs Tantallon Castle, said there was no history of ghosts at the castle but said the image was "intriguing".

Professor Wiseman will discuss The Science of Ghosts at the University of Edinburgh's Anatomy Lecture Theatre on Saturday.

The self-publicising pop-pyschologist is at it again:

Where's Wiseman? An experiment into the paranormal using Twitter
Volunteers will test the theory of 'remote viewing' on the instant messaging service by trying to locate a roving psychologist
Ian Sample guardian.co.uk, Monday 1 June 2009 00.51 BST

Thousands of hopeful mystics will attempt to use psychic powers to locate an itinerant psychologist this week in a mass experiment into the paranormal.

The volunteers will use Twitter, the instant messaging service, to try to pinpoint the whereabouts of Richard Wiseman, a psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire, in a supernatural version of the children's game Where's Wally?

The experiment will test what believers in the paranormal call "remote viewing", the ability to describe what is happening at a distant location they have never been to.

In the 1970s, the CIA began a dedicated research programme into remote viewing in the hope that it would help to gather intelligence about foreign nations and their military aspirations. The $20m (£12m) project was shut down 25 years later after government officials concluded it did not work.

"The people on the project claimed their viewers could zoom in to locations, like Russian submarine bases, and tell you what was going on there," Wiseman told the Guardian. "I am sceptical that they could."

Wiseman plans to travel to a different location each day between Tuesday and Friday, and will invite people to describe where they think he is by sending "tweets" over the internet. Wiseman will then post five photos of places on a website and ask people to decide which one he is at.

"The instant nature of tweets allows thousands of people to take part in real time, making it perfect for an extra-sensory perception experiment," said Wiseman.

To pass the test, Wiseman says the psychic participants must get his location right on three of the four days. The results of the experiment, which is being run with New Scientist magazine, will be announced daily.

To take part in the experiment, visit https://twitter.com/RichardWiseman

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... experiment

rynner2 said:
try to pinpoint the whereabouts of Richard Wiseman, a psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire

There might be a clue there.

I like him, although he looks uncannily and slappably like my ex!

His new experiment - The Great Willpower Test

What is this project all about?

This mass participation project aims to discover whether people have the willpower to undertake a small change that will make an improvement to their life.

Participating involves answering a few simple questions about yourself, and then making a promise to yourself change one of your habits.

In a few weeks' time we will email you and see whether you had the self-discipline to change. We will then analyse the data to discover, for example, whether men are more determined than women, if age has an impact on ability to stick to changes, etc..

The project is being conducted by psychologist Professor Richard Wiseman from the University of Hertfordshire (UK) as part of the Change4life project.

To take part, simply click here.

You can withdraw from the study at any point and your data will remain confidential. This study has received approval from the University of Hertfordshire Ethics Board.

I'm up for it!

:D

I lacked the willpower to click on that link... :)

Pffft, you wimp. I've already pledged to walk to the shops, instead of using the car. 8)

He's on BBC Breakfast now, plugging his new book! :D

I am with Drbates....slappers at the ready... :evil:

I think he's great. Who else stands up on TV and asks people to examine their own beliefs in the supernatural?

I must admit that I have had plenty of ~~strange~~ experiences myself, and hold all sorts of half-baked 'magical' beliefs, being only human. ;)

However, as a highly educated person with plenty of common sense I am conscious that most of it probably goes on inside my own head and has no bearing on the real world. This is what I understand Wiseman's point of view to be.

For example, I was raised with no religious or superstitious beliefs and so have little time for either, and indeed I often lump them together in my mind.

However, I was told two very different 'stories' about death by my two grandmothers which still seem very likely to me. Nothing will ever shake my two mutually contradictory ideas about what happens when we die. ;)

Finally, as an old Marxist I must point out that when someone tries to persuade me of something, I ask 'What's in it for them?'
For the mediums, alternative 'healers' and fortune-tellers, the aim is to relieve us of money. For Wiseman, it's about education and helping people steer clear of exploitative mumbo-jumbo.

OK, he's selling books and making a career of it, but there's nothing wrong with that. At least he believes everythig he tells us. ;)

The thing that's unpalatable about Wiseman and his ilk is not their attempts to debunk individual cases, which is a laudable pursuit but the rapid correlation that all such cases must be bunk and by extension anomalous phenomena as a whole are misperceptions or hoaxes and the TV career that seemingly follows such ready conclusions.

What I love about him though is that he BELIEVES what he says. He's not trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Your Colin Frys and Derek Acorahs (both of which are stage names, by the way! ;) ) can be accused of many things, but sincerity is not one of them. :lol:

He was on the radio,i think it was the evening before his Edinburgh show,he explained too the interviewers that nothing much would happen,the next evening he was back on saying things did happen but it was all down to some of the areas being spooky.He came up with this idea after going through the volunteers reports for a whole morning? or is he bringing his own preconceived ideas along with him?Given his (apparent) arrogance i know what i bet on. (precognition ftw!) :D

I don't see him as arrogant at all. He comes across to me as endlessly patient. :lol:

escargot1 said:
I don't see him as arrogant at all. He comes across to me as endlessly patient. :lol:

This conversation is veering down Dawkins Lane which, as we all know, is actually a cul-de-sac. ;)

I'm guessing that the folks who are going on about his preconceptions have never actually bothered to read his books....

You have read his books then. obviously the spirits were confusied there...

Who's the other bird with the purple hair? She's worse than Wiseman, she has the manner of a GP faced with a 25 stone woman with a McDonalds habit. You can practically hear her thinking run along, show some willpower and let's be having no more of this nonsense. Susan Blackmore, I just made the mistake of Googling and need a stiff drink.
There has to be a third way between Susan Blackmore and Derek Acorah.

Back