• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rick & Morty

Family Guy’s hugely popular ‘Road to the Multiverse’ aired in 2009. Well before Rick and Morty.

Yebbut the concept has spread like a rash since R&M did it, Spider-Man cartoon and live action and the new Flash movie are latest examples. It might even have been Community's darkest timeline that set it off. Anyway, an idea that's been around for ages (it's in the first Discworld novel) but now its time seems to have come.

Yebbut the concept has spread like a rash since R&M did it, Spider-Man cartoon and live action and the new Flash movie are latest examples. It might even have been Community's darkest timeline that set it off. Anyway, an idea that's been around for ages (it's in the first Discworld novel) but now its time seems to have come.
Well the point for me is that Stewie and Brian had nailed the Multiverse, time travel and a whole bunch of other stuff before Rick and Morty even existed. So when I first saw Rick and Morty, I found it derivative with a crude edge when compared to Family Guy.

Well the point for me is that Stewie and Brian had nailed the Multiverse, time travel and a whole bunch of other stuff before Rick and Morty even existed. So when I first saw Rick and Morty, I found it derivative with a crude edge when compared to Family Guy.

I dunno, I stopped watching FG when it just seemed to be trying to be as crude as possible, it just wasn't funny anymore. I didn't laugh as much on this season of R&M, but it does have some smart writing. Dan Harmon created Community and R&M, so maybe it's his "fault"?

The elephant in the multiverse room is the 90s TV show Sliders, which had a new multiverse every week, but who remembers it now?

I dunno, I stopped watching FG when it just seemed to be trying to be as crude as possible, it just wasn't funny anymore. I didn't laugh as much on this season of R&M, but it does have some smart writing. Dan Harmon created Community and R&M, so maybe it's his "fault"?

The elephant in the multiverse room is the 90s TV show Sliders, which had a new multiverse every week, but who remembers it now?
Wasn't 'sliders' just a remake of 'The Time Tunnel'.

Time Tunnel2.jpg

Bit before my time, The Time Tunnel, but didn't they go back to a historical event every week? In Sliders it was a parallel universe they would visit.

Bit before my time, The Time Tunnel, but didn't they go back to a historical event every week? In Sliders it was a parallel universe they would visit.
Yes they modernised it a bit, but similar concept. I remember 'The Time Tunnel' being repeated on ITV, I think, in the early 90's.

Sliders was pretty good. I think I only watched a season or two but I remember it being quite funny. I haven't thought about it for some time. Also, Rick and Morty must contain some of the DNA of both The Time Tunnel and Quantum Leap.

Yes they modernised it a bit, but similar concept. I remember 'The Time Tunnel' being repeated on ITV, I think, in the early 90's.

I must have seen an episode somewhere (Channel 4?) because I got the joke in Alexei Sayle's Drunk in Time sketches.

This might explain why the season went on hiatus with two episodes to go:

Actual Christopher Lloyd as Rick?!

Just a split second of either Christopher Lloyd or what might possibly be a CGI rendering or augmentation of him?

Just a split second of either Christopher Lloyd or what might possibly be a CGI rendering or augmentation of him?

He wasn't in the episode anyway, so this was just a bit of publicity. I believe it's him, though, don't think he was deepfaked, he is in his 80s but he's still working (was in action movie Nobody this year).

He wasn't in the episode anyway, so this was just a bit of publicity. I believe it's him, though, don't think he was deepfaked, he is in his 80s but he's still working (was in action movie Nobody this year).
He was a guest on The One Show tonight. As was Michael (via video link).

Back