Ridiculous Accidents

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Motorist who struck flying COW at 60mph escapes with just cuts and bruises
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 8:22 AM on 12th August 2011

A motorist in Staffordshire who hit a cow which jumped over a fence in front of his car escaped the freak accident with cuts and bruises.
Robert Gould said he is lucky to be alive after his car went careering onto the other side of the road and skidded 80 yards.

He was traveling at 60mph at the time and described seeing a 'flying cow'.
The frightened Friesian cow wrote off his Citroen C5 after denting the bonnet and breaking a wheel.
Sadly, the cow died at the scene in Leek and had to be removed using a JCB.

The 24-year-old said: 'I am now looking out for low-flying cows whenever I am driving.'
Robert, a safety officer, from Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs, added: 'I was driving along when a cow jumped out and landed on my bonnet.
'It had hurdled a three-foot high fence and hit the front of my car.
'I had no time to brake and my car veered to the other side of the road.
'I was very lucky that nothing was coming in the opposite direction.
'The police were very nice about everything, although I don't think they could quite believe it either.
'They breath-tested me which came back negative.'

Farmer Clive Langford-Mycock believes the cow must have been very frightened to have jumped the fence during last weekend's incident.
He said: 'Accidents involving farm animals are very rare.
'Something must have happened to frighten the cow. Possible causes could be thunder or lightning, low-flying aircraft or one of those stupid Chinese lanterns.
'I hope the driver gets over it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1Unu6Wy6L

Farmer Clive Langford-Mycock believes the cow must have been very frightened to have jumped the fence during last weekend's incident.
Ha! Very likely Clive was chasing the cow at the time...

Trevp666

Abominable Snowman
"...or one of those stupid Chinese lanterns"

Oh yeah, we're always hearing of cows being spooked by chinese lanterns aren't we!?
What a very silly thing to say.

trevp66 said:

Oh yeah, we're always hearing of cows being spooked by chinese lanterns aren't we!?
They'd be more likely to eat it.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
trevp66 said:

Not really. Farmers have good reason to worry about Chinese lanterns:

Chinese floating lanterns could kill our cattle, say farmers
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 170#887170

Chinese lanterns pose danger to livestock, NFU says
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 679#948679

Chinese lantern ban calls from farmers and air authority
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 18#1061818

A cow is known to have died after eating a part of a lantern’s wire frame, while a foal had to be put down after it was spooked by one and injured itself on a fence
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 49#1063849

There is also a risk to livestock eating a piece of a lantern’s wire frame and rupturing the stomach and both cows and horses have been injured or killed
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 76#1116076

I rest my case! ;)

Peripart

Antediluvian
I'm just relieved that this all happened at the far north of Staffordshire. Here, in deepest south Staffs, we're not plagued by flying cattle - there's very rarely anything fatter than a pigeon in the air around here.

Trevp666

Abominable Snowman
rynner2 said:
trevp66 said:

Not really. Farmers have good reason to worry about Chinese lanterns:
.........etc..........

I rest my case! ;)
Er...okay then....!
[sound of aircraft being shot at and crashing in flames]

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This is perhaps more unusual than ridiculous:

Mid-air rescue for German cable car passengers

Helicopters have plucked to safety 20 people stranded in mid-air on a cable car in southern Germany after a paraglider collided with the cables.
The 19 passengers and conductor were brought to safety after spending 18 hours suspended 80m (260ft) above the ground at Mt Tegelberg in Bavaria.

Rescuers supplied food and blankets, and toys for six children aboard, while waiting for strong winds to die down.
They also freed the paraglider and his tandem passenger.

The head of the cable car operator, Tegelbergbahn, said he was shocked the paraglider had apparently tried to cross the cables.
Pilots knew they were only allowed to fly parallel to them, Franz Bucher said, according to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper.
It was not immediately clear if the pilot would face charges.

Mt Tegelberg is close to the fairy-tale castle of Neuschwanstein, one of the country's top visitor attractions, and those aboard the cable car were said to be tourists.
Most of them were Germans and they included two east Europeans. They ranged in age from four to 75.

When the paraglider's parachute became tangled in the cables on Friday, visitors were left stranded in three groups:
Twenty in the car at 80m
Thirty in a second car closer to the ground
About 130 at the station on the mountain itself

Those on the mountain were also brought to safety by helicopter while the occupants of the second car were apparently rescued by climbing teams later on Friday.
However, the evacuation of the first car could only proceed on Saturday morning, requiring nine helicopter flights over two hours.

A photo gallery on Bavarian radio's German-language website shows various helicopters delivering people to safety.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14516477

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Another flying machine goes where it shouldn't...

Up and away! Oops... Crew escape unscathed as balloon crashes into house
By Martin Delgado
Last updated at 12:18 AM on 14th August 2011

This is the moment a hot-air balloon crashed into a family home after hitting telephone lines and clipping two other houses.
Incredibly, the two-man crew escaped unscathed.

The blue-and-yellow balloon – which was taking part in Bristol’s International Balloon Fiesta – had lost height after the father-and-son crew swapped over the gas cylinders that power the burner and hit a chimney pot.
Homeowner Leanne Scott, who lives in Bristol’s Victoria Park, was woken around 8.40am on Friday when the balloon collided with her chimney, about an hour after the Fleur de Lis balloon took off. She said: ‘It woke me up. It sounded like a bomb raid.’

The basket then smashed into a chimney on the house next door before hitting the home of Bernadine Nolan and her son Paul in nearby Alsop Street.
Paul said: ‘The bang woke me and I saw the flame-thrower outside the window before it flew off.’ His mother, Bernadine, added: ‘I saw it hitting the telephone lines and then the roof. I thought it was going to come through the bedroom window.’ More than 30 tiles were torn from her roof by the impact.

Pilot Martin Read managed to steer the balloon away and landed around five miles away at Goose Green in the city.
An experienced pilot, Mr Read was flying with his stepson Terry Wetters. He said: ‘Once you make contact with a structure it becomes more of a problem and chances are you will hit something else.’
The Civil Aviation Authority will carry out an investigation into the incident.
The damage is expected to be covered by insurance.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1Uzm2h2bl

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I remember years ago, when I was still living with my parents, a Goodyear blimp almost came down in our back garden.
Ascot races had been on, and in the late afternoon there was a sudden thunderstorm with violent winds and dark skies. We heard this low-pitched hum, like a motor really straining away at something.
When we looked, we saw the airship just scraping the treetops at the bottom of the garden.
Eventually, the airship regained control and moved off, so no crash happened.

A dramatic memory that still remains with me to this day.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The unlikely mishaps that have put people in hospital
Numbers of incidents needing hospital treatment and their NHS descriptions:

Bitten or struck by crocodile or alligator: 2
Bitten or crushed by other reptiles: 70
Contact with venomous snakes and lizards: 52
Contact with venomous spiders: 13
Contact with scorpions: 6
Contact with centipedes and venomous tropical millipedes: 1
Bitten by rat: 24
Prolonged stay in weightless environment: 4
Victim of cataclysmic storm: 30
Victim of earthquake: 4
Bitten or struck by dog: 5,837

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1WJcjAFab

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
It looks horrific- but it could have been worse...

US man impaled through eye with pruning shears
An 86-year-old Arizona man is lucky to be alive after he accidentally impaled himself with pruning shears.
7:00AM BST 30 Aug 2011

Leroy Luetscher was working in his back garden when he dropped a pair of pruning shears, which landed point-side down in the ground.
When Luetscher went to pick them up, he lost his balance and fell face-down on the handle. The handle penetrated his eye socket and went down into his neck, resting on the external carotid artery. Half the shears were left in his head, while the other half was sticking out.

An X-ray of Mr Luetscher's head showed the severity of the injury.
"You wouldn't believe your eyes," said doctor Julie Wynne.

Mr Luetscher was rushed to the hospital, where surgeons removed the shears and rebuilt his orbital floor with metal mesh, saving his eye.
Doctors say Mr Luetscher still has slight swelling in his eyelids and minor double vision but has otherwise recovered.

He has thanked the doctors at the University Medical Center for their remarkable work.
"I am so grateful to the doctors and staff at UMC," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... hears.html

eburacum

Papo-furado
da mail said:

Who are these space travellers? Or are they just people who have laid in bed too long?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
eburacum said:
da mail said:

Who are these space travellers? Or are they just people who have laid in bed too long?
Astronauts from the ISS? After coming down, they do require a bit of time in hospital to recover.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
eburacum said:

Well, you could always check on the posted link. 8)

And the answer is - er - not entirely helpful
Four patients even had to see a doctor about symptoms more normally associated with being stranded in space.

They were admitted with the effects of a ‘prolonged stay in a weightless environment’ – thought to refer to incidents in simulators rather than real interplanetary travel, although NHS officials could not shed any further light on the mystery.
The Vomit Comet is the only simulator that can produce weightlessness (though not for a prolonged 'stay').
Perhaps these folks hurt themselves when gravity returned and they hit the floor...?

eburacum

Papo-furado
One method of reproducing the effects of weightlessness is indeed 'staying in bed too long';

experiments involving 'prolonged bed rest' are the closest that can be achieved to microgravity conditions without leaving the Earth.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Dog shoots man in buttocks, US police reveal
An American man was rushed to hospital after being shot in the buttocks by his dog during an ill-fated duck hunting accident in Utah.
By Andrew Hough
6:30AM GMT 01 Dec 2011

The 46 year-old, who has not been named, was hit just a few feet away from his "excited" pet canine, which had stepped on a shotgun in his boat.
He escaped serious injury – only receiving an injury to his buttocks and, almost certainly to his pride. Police confirmed the incident was not a hoax.

Officers said the man, and an unidentified friend had been duck hunting on the Great Salt Lake, in the country's west, at the weekend, when the bizarre occurred.
The hunter, from Brigham City, about 60 miles north of the state capital Salt Lake City, was shot as he climbed out of the boat to move decoys in the shallow marsh area.
Kevin Potter, the Box Elder County Sheriff’s deputy chief, said the man left his 12-gauge shotgun in the boat before the dog stepped on it, causing it to discharge.

"One of the hunters was inside the boat with the dog, and the other hunter was in the water setting up decoys," he told local media.
"The guy in the water had put his 12-gauge shotgun across the bow of their boat.
"The dog got excited, was jumping around inside the boat and then it jumped on the gun. It went off, shooting the (decoy setter) in the buttocks."

He added: "(The dog) did something to make the gun discharge. I don't know if the safety device was on. It's not impossible the dog could have taken it off safety."
It remains unclear whether the safety catch on the gun was engaged at the time of the incident, which happened in the bird refuge about 10 miles west of Brigham City.

Mr Potter said the man was hit from about 10 feet away with 27 pellets of birdshot during the incident at the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge.
He wasn't seriously injured, in part because he was wearing waders or thick, waterproof trousers.

The men called 911 and walked to a nearby main road to wait for emergency crews. The wounded hunter was then transported to a local hospital about 9am on Sunday.
Doctors removed the bird shot and released the man to recover from his injuries wounds and nurse his wounded pride.

Neither the dog, which has not been identified, nor any ducks within range at the time of the accident, were injured.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... eveal.html

"They don't like it up 'em, Mr.Mainwaring!" :twisted:

MrRING

Antediluvian
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blo...ren-scruggs-body-mangled-plane-214636964.html
Entire Left Side of Lauren Scruggs' Body Mangled By Plane

Model Lauren Scruggs was able to respond to voice commands today by moving her arms and legs, less than two days after the 23-year-old walked into the propeller of a small airplane, leaving her body severely mangled.

Scruggs had just got off of a two seater plane at a private airport in McKinney, Texas, Saturday night after looking at Christmas lights when she ran into the plane's propeller. Her left hand, shoulder and face areas were hit.

The model, who also founded a lifestyle magazine, was rushed to Parkland Hospital in Dallas where her left hand was amputated.

She underwent several surgeries over the weekend and is now in stable condition. However the extent of her brain injury is still not known, family spokesperson Janee Harrell told ABCNews.com.

How Scruggs ran into the propeller remains unclear.

"It's speculative at this point, but what we're thinking is the plane landed and they were picking up the next passengers," Harrell said. "It was dark and we think she probably turned around to thank the pilot."

Harrell said Scruggs was not drinking at the time of the incident.

ABC News aviation consultant John Nance said incidents such as Scruggs' are extremely rare and underscore the need for pilots to be especially clear in issuing safety directions.

"It sounds like this is a combination of a bad procedure by the pilot and the passenger not properly realizing her proximity," Scruggs said. "One of the things I'd have to look at is why in the world a pilot permitted a passenger to board or deboard while a propeller was turning."

For now, Scruggs' recovery remains uncertain, but Nance said the model is extremely lucky.

"It's like walking into a big Cuisinart," he said. "I'm surprised it didn't tear her in half."

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This is like a scene from Ab Fab!

Drunk woman falls between train and platform
Police are seeking to dissuade people from drinking too much over the festive period by releasing CCTV footage of an inebriated woman accidentally rolling under a train at a station.
[video]
Murray Wardrop
8:01AM GMT 22 Dec 2011

The cringeworthy footage shows the elegantly dressed woman appearing more than a little worse for wear as she alights from the late-night train at Barnsley station, South Yorks.

Wearing a hat, dress and what look to be flat shoes, she staggers off the a carriage of the Northern service before violently lurching to her right and tumbling over.
Throwing out an arm to support herself against the side of the train, she is unable to prevent her rapid descent and collapses on the ground before rolling off the platform. :shock:

The clip ends with the woman completely out of sight as she lays trapped between the train and the platform.
Another passenger raised the alarm and the woman was rescued before being taken to hospital suffering cuts and bruises.
The incident caused delays of around 20 minutes to trains passing through the station.

Officers from British Transport Police (BTP) are hoping the footage will increase people's awareness of taking care of themselves over the Christmas period.
Insp Graham Bridges, of BTP, said: "This woman was lucky to only end up with a few minor injuries and, had it not been for the alertness of other passengers who helped her, we could have been dealing with potentially serious injuries."

He added: "We understand that at this time of year, with Christmas fast approaching, people will be out at parties and will be consuming alcohol.
"We certainly do not want to spoil this and would simply ask that anyone drinking alcohol does so responsibly."

Police said the woman featured in the footage agreed to its release as part of the warning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/chris ... tform.html

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
"It's like walking into a big Cuisinart," he said. "I'm surprised it didn't tear her in half."
There was a vaguely similar case in the UK in the 80s, where a parachutist got sucked into the blades of a helicopter as she came in to land. That had to be one hell of a mess.

Electric_Monk

Abominable Snowman
That happened to a friend of mine - except he wasn't drunk. The platform had a thick layer of ice on it, which he slipped on, and down between the train and platform. He managed to grab on, but had to be pulled up with the help of other passengers, and suffered a nasty gash on his leg that needed quite a lot of antibiotics.

In his case certainly it was less a sign of people needing to take care of themselves and more the lack of health and safety considerations from the transport company, so I'm not sure they should be drawing attention to it :p

Monkey Business Suspected in North Side Wreck
http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/mainhea ... e=10251767
man hit by car was being pursued by a person wearing a gorilla costume
Jim Forsyth

Police say a man dashed into traffic on busy Highway 281 early this morning...because he was being chased by a man in a gorilla suit.

1200 WOAI news reports that witnesses saw the 32 year old man leave a north side nightclub with the gorilla costume guy in hot pursuit. The man jumped the barrier and darted onto 281, dodging several vehicles before he was hit by a white Infiniti.

He's hospitalized, but he'll be okay.

A police report says the Infiniti driver told officers he didn't see the man until it was too late.

No charges are expected.

Read more: http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/mainhea ... z202M6v5XY

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Man accidentally hangs himself with nightclub's Halloween noose

A man was left in a critical condition after accidentally hanging himself on a noose that had been set up as a Halloween prop in a nightclub.

The 25-year-old was taken to hospital from Pink Punters in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, just after 11pm on Saturday, Thames Valley police said.

His condition has since improved and he is now talking to hospital staff. Officers said they will work with the local council to investigate the safety of the event.

Superintendent Barry Halliday said: " Police will work with the local council and other partner agencies to investigate the safety of the event."

The club's owner, Frank McMahon, said: "There was an accident involving a Halloween prop which had been in use for several years at the club. It is a safe system.

"It's just a rope with a large noose which doesn't go tight around the neck. People use it so they can have photographs taken. We've never had a previous incident with it.

"It's one of several props that we use, and is low down to the ground. We do have an excellent safety system in place and we believe it to be a freak accident."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/2 ... sfeed=true

I don;t know the venue but people who do are saying it was so much of a prop they don;t know how he managed to 'hang' from it.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
'Freak' fireworks: Apology after display in Oxgangs Brae goes wrong
[Video: All the fireworks went off at once after a rocket misfired]

Organisers have apologised after a firework display went wrong in Edinburgh.
A rocket at the Pentland Community Centre display misfired and ricocheted into the remaining fireworks, setting them all off at the same time.
The community council said it was a freak accident but it would be reviewing safety procedures.

A girl suffered a burn to the side of her face and was taken to Edinburgh's Royal Hospital for Sick Children.
However, no-one was seriously injured in the incident at Oxgangs Brae.
Footage of the event, which took place on Monday evening, has been posted on YouTube.

It is understood that £2,000 worth of fireworks were involved.
In a statement, Pentland Community Centre said: "The management committee of PCC would like to express our sincere apologies for any upset caused following the unfortunate incident at our annual firework display on Monday evening.
"One of the rockets misfired towards the end of the display and ricocheted into the remaining undetonated fireworks, setting them off all at once.
"This was a freak accident, and most regrettable, but this is the first incident we have had in 10 years of holding this popular community event, and we extend our apologies to everyone who was alarmed."

The statement added that safety protocols would be reviewed.
It said: "But it must be stressed that this is a well-organised event, approved by the City of Edinburgh Council and the emergency services, and it is a fact of life that sometimes unforeseen things happen, despite the best of planning and precaution."

Susan Ross, a local resident at the display, said: "My friend and her daughters were standing at the side of the post office and the showers of fireworks were coming over them and they had to jump over the girls to stop the sparks landing on their jackets.

"The next thing I heard was several bangs and then a massive explosion.
"I turned around and everybody was just scattering and running across the road away from it.
"I saw people lifting buggies up off the ground because people had their brakes on the buggies and they were physically lifting their kids by the arms to get away."

She added: "My heart was going along with everybody else. Some of the kids were crying because they did get a fright.
"I do think it should be run again next year, though."

Geoff Crow, director of 21 CC Fireworks, said: "Looking at the video, it clearly could have been a catastrophe.
"I think part of the issue was the fireworks were contained in a very, very close space, which meant all the fireworks cross ignited at once."

He added: "I think what people are trying to achieve with small community events is a sense of community.
"They are trying to sew into the social fabric of society locally and we would commend that.
"If people want to do their own events, there is a lot to be said for training.
"I wouldn't say fireworks for a local community is a bad thing. I think it is an awareness issue of safety."

Cammy Day, Edinburgh City Council's community safety leader, said: "The council is currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident at the community-organised fireworks display in Oxgangs last night, which was obviously very alarming for all those involved."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-20220853

Santa stuck by beard at Reading shopping centre
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-20386903

Stranded Santa at Reading shopping centre; video courtesy Andrew Maunder

A Santa Claus was left dangling from the ceiling after his beard became trapped while abseiling inside a Reading shopping centre as part of a Christmas lights switch-on show.

He was stuck for about 30 minutes about 15ft off the ground in the Broad Street Mall on Saturday afternoon.

Eyewitness Ryan Gaudreau said: "Everyone was laughing at him - he didn't really know what to do."

Stephanie Maynard, marketing manager at the centre, said Santa was not hurt.

"He could have just taken his beard off and let himself down but he was such a professional and he didn't want to let the children down," she said.

"He lost his footing as he came through the hole in the ceiling and there was a sudden jolt and he got caught in the clip on the rope.

"Some people were absolutely mortified while others thought it was the funniest thing ever.

"They had to let another rope down and get him down and there was such a roar from the crowd.

"Usually after the lights switch-on the centre empties but there were so many people still there waiting to see if Father Christmas was going to get down."

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I think after about five minutes most people would have said, well, no use being silly about this and whipped off the beard. I also think everyone there would be well aware he wasn't the real Santa anyway, especially after that incident.

Zilch5

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Man burns his head after mistaking iron for phone

A Polish man has managed to burn the side of his head while doing housework after mistaking the iron for a phone.

Tomasz Paczkowski from the northern Polish town of Elblag now sports bandages around his head after a request from his wife to help with the housework while he enjoyed a few days off work backfired.

“My wife had gone to work and asked me to help with the housework,” the 32-year old told the Polish newspaper Fakt. “After breakfast I started to work. I turned on the boxing channel on the TV, opened a beer and started ironing.

“I was really getting involved in the boxing and was not really thinking about what I was doing,” he continued. “Suddenly the phone rang and I mucked things up: instead of grabbing the receiver I picked up the iron and put it to my ear.”

Mr Paczkowski said a burning sensation on his ear soon made him realise his mistake. To compound his misfortune a dash to the bathroom to cool his burn with water resulted in his head hitting a door frame, causing an injury just above the left eye.

As a result of his accident he said he would give up watching boxing on the television but would continue to iron.