Ridiculous Accidents

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Fiery crystal ball starts flat blaze
Press Association
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 11 August 2009

A crystal ball ornament caused a flat fire after magnifying the sun's rays and making a television explode.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/aug/1 ... flat-blaze
24 February 2015 Last updated at 00:26

'Nutella jar house blaze' kills Twickenham family's dog

Sunrays shining through a glass jar of Nutella chocolate spread sparked a huge house fire that killed a family's dog, London Fire Brigade (LFB) has said.
The blaze started when low winter sunlight was refracted by the jar which was being used to collect loom bands, investigators believe.
The family's Jack Russell Chilli was trapped inside the flat in Twickenham, south-west London, and died.

The jar was on the window sill in a girl's bedroom.
It is thought the rays were magnified by the glass and beamed onto blinds, causing them to catch fire.
A first floor bedroom was destroyed and the roof was damaged.

LFB's Charlie Pugsley said: "It sounds far fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire but that's exactly what happened.
"It's worth spending five minutes checking that your window ledges are clear of any glass or crystal that might lead to a potentially life changing blaze."
The fire brigade said sun rays have caused 125 fires in the last five years and warned they are a risk in the winter as well as the summer.
Mr Pugsley said the figures show that these sorts of incidents are "not an urban myth".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31594956

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Smoking is bad for you!

Smoker's head on fire after blowing house up refilling lighter with butane
A PENSIONER was lucky to survive when a canister of butane he had been using to re-fuel a cigarette lighter exploded, destroying his home.
By Suzie Neuwirth
PUBLISHED: 00:00, Thu, Dec 10, 2015

Charles Mann, 82, miraculously escaped with minor injuries as brave neighbours pulled him from the rubble of his £250,000 bungalow in Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex.
Essex firefighters said that a gas lighter re-fill canister had caught fire and exploded, blasting through a wall of the house, leaving the roof sagging.

Mr Mann's relieved son, John, initially feared his father had been killed.
"I saw him sitting in the chair with his hair on fire. I thought he was dead," he said.
"The roof was on the ground and my dad was just sitting there. Then I saw him move and realised he was alright.
"It was horrific, there are no words to describe it. He was amazingly lucky."

Mr Mann's neighbours have spoken about how they pulled him from the rubble of the building with his hair on fire.
Neighbour Michael Leverett, who helped pull him from the wreckage, said: "We didn't think about it, we just wanted to get him out.
"The old boy was sitting in his wheelchair with the flames around him. His hair was on fire but we managed to lift him to safety."

Daughter-in-law Lisa Mann said: "We really want to say thank you to all of the neighbours because if it wasn't for them he wouldn't be alive. They saved his life.
"The home is a real mess. It's a miracle he got out and we can't thank everybody enough."

etc...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/62...g-house-up-refilling-lighter-butane-explosion

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
24 February 2015 Last updated at 00:26

'Nutella jar house blaze' kills Twickenham family's dog
LFB's Charlie Pugsley said: "It sounds far fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire but that's exactly what happened.
"It's worth spending five minutes checking that your window ledges are clear of any glass or crystal that might lead to a potentially life changing blaze."
The fire brigade said sun rays have caused 125 fires in the last five years and warned they are a risk in the winter as well as the summer.
Yup, I had a wall-mounted mirror, one of those on a retractable scissor-action arm, next to a window. It reflected sunlight on the magnifying side and melted a hole in a plastic planter right in front of my eyes.

It was like summit out of James Bond. :eek:

Hey Rynner, did you know that you can remove the bold/huge text format?
You highlight it and hit the little eraser symbol on the right.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Yup, I had a wall-mounted mirror, one of those on a retractable scissor-action arm, next to a window. It reflected sunlight on the magnifying side and melted a hole in a plastic planter right in front of my eyes.

It was like summit out of James Bond. :eek:

Hey Rynner, did you know that you can remove the bold/huge text format?
You highlight it and hit the little eraser symbol on the right.

A number of bushfires in Australia are started every year by glass, when some lazy bugger hoiks his 'roadie' out the window of their vehicle, escargot. It's not unusual.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I went to Hayle on Friday - my bus went right past Penmare Close!

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
A follow up story:
Hayle pensioner Maggie Hayes' arm was severed closing her NEIGHBOUR'S car window
By WBCaroline | Posted: August 29, 2016

A 78 year-old woman whose arm was ripped off in a freak accident was attempting to close the windows of her neighbour's car, it has emerged.
The pensioner – who has been now been named as Maggie Hayes – was airlifted to hospital after her arm was ripped off in the shocking accident on Penmare Close, Hayle, just after 4pm on Saturday.

At first it was thought the elderly woman was injured in her own car, but it has now emerged it was a Peugeot Blue Partner Tepee owned by next-door neighbour, 71 year-old Gillian Davies.
The grandmother-of-one said she left her car with the windows down because it was a hot day, but she has 'no idea' why her neighbour leaned into her car.
She said: ''I heard a hell of a bang and it didn't register that it was in our driveway. I thought 'what the hell is that?'

"Then I heard screams and then I came out - I don't want to think about it. She was sitting by the wall.
"Everyone came running out and handed her blankets. She lost a lot of blood."

Mrs Davies added: "No one seems to know what happened. I left the car as I always leave it: in gear, with the keys in the ignition. I won't be doing that again.
"The windows were down because it was a hot day. I don't know why she came to our car."

John Hayes, 81, who is thought to be the husband of the 78 year-old, confirmed she had lost a limb, adding: "Yes, she has lost an arm".
He was then led back into the house by two young men.

The police said that the woman had lent into the car to close the electric windows when it lurched forward trapping her arm.

A Devon and Cornwall spokesperson said. "What appears to have happened is that she has lent into the car to close the electric windows.
''She has turned on the ignition to get the power to turn the electric windows to close but unfortunately the car was in gear and the car has lurched forward trapping her hand/arm,
"In the process of doing that it has taken her arm off."

Mrs Davies said her husband Roger, 72, had been hit by the car and was taken to hospital :eek: but does not remember the incident.

Emergency services teams were able to retrieve the arm and the pensioner was flown by air ambulance to Derriford Hospital, Plymouth.
Police added although the pensioner had suffered "life-changing injuries" it is hoped surgeons will be able to re-attach the arm and she will make a good recovery.

The car has been taken away by police.

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/pension...lp-neighbour/story-29664745-detail/story.html

All in all, a right clusterfuck. :(
At least the police arrested the car.
:twisted:

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
"Spiderman attacked him": Irish runner struck by flying elastic cross bar in freak athletics accident
Video:
Charlotte Krol, video news producer, video source Storyful / YouTube / nTrai
13 February 2017 • 8:27pm

Runner Aengus Meldon sprints towards victory at a university athletics event in Athlone, Ireland on Friday when he is hobbled in a freak accident. An elastic practice cross bar from a nearby pole vault catapults onto the track, wrapping around his legs.

Meldon had been leading his heat of the men’s 800 metres at the time and was thus given a place in the final.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/20...ked-irish-runner-struck-flying-elastic-cross/

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Not ridiculous exactly, but an unusual and very sad accident.

A parked car seems to have rolled off a drive and run over some children, killing a one year old girl.

Toddler dies after 'unoccupied' car hits wall in Merthyr Tydfil

Police are believed to be investigating reports that an unoccupied car rolled down a hill into a wall, which then collapsed, at an address in Heolgerrig, Merthyr Tydfil. Pearl was taken to Prince Charles hospital in Merthyr Tydfil by air ambulance after the incident at 1.39pm on Sunday but died a short time later.

tastyintestines

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Best joke so far. Only if some responsible gun stage prop owner was there he could have been saved.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Woman Shot Dead By Hunter Who Mistook Her For A Deer

From Pennsylvania.
Rosemary Billquist was out with her Labradors Sugar and Stella in the field behind her home when a single gunshot hit her - fired from a high-powered pistol

Her neighbour Thomas Jadlowski, 34, thought he had seen a deer when he fired the shot, police said, but he heard a scream and rushed over to Rosemary.

The incident happened 40 minutes after sunset, although state laws say it's illegal to hunt in the dark, the New York Post reports.

Charges have not been filed against him yet but there is an ongoing investigation taking place.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Going back a few posts, just how does one "demonstrate her naked breasts"?

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Going back a few posts, just how does one "demonstrate her naked breasts"?
Could be a translation issue. In this case she was hanging out the passenger window whilst wearing only bikini bottoms. I'm not sure demonstrate is the right word. Flaunt is probably more to the point.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the sort of thing you'd consider a shade less than credible in a comedy farce, but apparently the Cosmic Joker has been watching a lot of slapstick movies lately ...

Oblivious Trucker Leaves Behind Trail of Destruction as Tree Branch Gets Wedged in Big Rig
... A tractor-trailer left behind a five-block trail of destruction in Queens after the oblivious driver struck a tree and unknowingly got a branch wedged in his truck.

Police say the 36-year-old driver was on 14th Avenue in Whitestone when he hit the tree, got a large branch stuck in between his cab and trailer and kept on going.

The driver, who police say didn’t realize he had the tree limb stuck on his truck, continued driving for five blocks, from 147th Street to 152nd Street, hitting at least a dozen cars in the process around 10 p.m. Tuesday.

"We heard this loud noise, like a freight train coming down the block," said neighbor Audrey Neilan, whose car was among the destroyed. "It was a big 18-wheeler, he had the tree in between his car, he just kept barreling down. He hit about 15 cars. It was a mess."

All the cars were parked on the side of the road and were unoccupied at the time, cops said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...ns-Flushing-NYPD-Investigation-485997621.html