A schoolboy is in critical condition after an incident during a nativity carol service at a south London church on Wednesday.
The child, believed to be a pupil at a Croydon primary school, reportedly suffered serious burns during a service the school was taking part in at Addiscombe Catholic Church.
Emergency services, including an air ambulance, rushed to the scene just before 2.30pm.
A witness told MyLondon he saw primary school children being escorted from the church in their nativity costumes.
From what I've read, the child's Nativity costume is thought to have caught fire.
This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm wondering if this costume was a sheep or lamb? The reason is that I have read of this sort of accident happening before, twice in fact, where people have suffered burns when an improvised sheep costume caught fire.
Mr Geraghty was dressed as a sheep and his costume included a large quantity of cotton wool.
The party included a tradition whereby a piano was burnt and, while people were gathered round the blaze, a joke started about how inflammable the sheep costume was, the court heard.
Mr Buckingham is then alleged to have set fire to it using a cigarette lighter. Mr Geraghty suffered burns to his face, neck, shoulders, armpits, upper arms and the back of his legs.
I heard about another such incident when I worked at the local Magistrates' Courts a few years ago, in a case where a young man who was dressed as a sheep (wearing, I think, a piece of the inner part of a duvet) for a fancy dress party was set alight by a friend. He suffered severe burns. This one didn't make the news.
Makes me wonder. The Nativity incident has been put down to the children carrying candles, it wasn't deliberate.
Sofa so bad. The sort of thing that happens in cartoons.
A woman left seriously injured by a sofa which fell from a building has said she is "glad to be alive".
Edita Butkeviciute, 30, has been in hospital with injuries to her spine, legs and lungs since the incident in Aberdeen city centre on 7 December. She said she faces three months more in hospital as "everything is broken inside me". Two men, aged 26 and 31, have been charged after the sofa was allegedly thrown from a building.
Ms Butkeviciute, from Lithuania, had stepped outside at the rear of her work to speak to her boyfriend Daniel Ferreira on the phone when the sofa fell. She said: "I remember just waking up, I screamed really loud for help and started feeling cold. I couldn't move."
She said she was probably unconscious for some time.
A helicopter took off on top of a mountain with an instructor tangled in a cargo net underneath.
Gaide quickly realized that a bag was missing and rushed back to the helicopter which unknowingly took off with the instructor caught in the cargo netting. Unable to make contact with the pilot or hold on to the netting, Gaide tragically fell hundreds of feet to his death on the French side of the mountain where his body was later recovered.
A father's concealed weapon went off when he was play-wrestling with his toddler, police say. Both were shot in the head
A 4-year-old boy and his father sustained gunshot wounds to the head after the man's concealed weapon accidentally discharged while the two were play-wrestling, police said.
The 36-year-old man was playing with the toddler in their home in Bloomington, Indiana, when his handgun slipped out from his back and went off, the Monroe County Sheriff's Office said in a statement. The shot struck them both in the head, the office said.
The 4-year-old remains in critical condition at a children's hospital in Bloomington. His father is expected to recover, the office said.
The sheriff's office wouldn't say whether the father was charged, citing the ongoing investigation. ...
Anecdote I heard today at work, from the horse's very mouth -
A colleague was standing on a stepladder to put something on a high shelf at home. The shelf had some screws sticking out of the edge for hanging things on.*
The ladder wobbled, and he grabbed at the shelf before falling off. His wedding ring caught on an exposed screw and degloved his finger.
It didn't hurt right away but after picking himself and the ladder up, he noticed that his finger felt sore. He looked at it and noticed that it was somehow different...
And that's how he lost his finger. The subject came up when he was handed a ring as lost property and put it on his little finger, and mentioned that it was the first ring he'd worn since The Accident.
Yup, I decided years ago never to work up a ladder if I'm alone in the house. This came from reading about some spectacular fatal accidents described in pathologists' memoirs. For example, one woman fell off a ladder while wallpapering and landed on the big decorating shears she'd been carrying in her apron pocket.*
*I also don't carry sharp objects in apron pockets.
SUSPECTED ROBBER STABS HIMSELF WITH SWORD, DIES
suspected burglar’s plans to rob a house in Welgelegen took a turn for the worst when he reportedly sustained a self-inflicted stab wound with a sword which was apparently among his stash of stolen items, and bled to death just outside the targeted premises on Tuesday.
Blood stains against the wall and on the sidewalk outside the residence on Gen de la Rey Street was evident of a serious injury.
Another bizarre fatal accident involved a teenage boy who was found dead from lack of blood at home, alone, possibly naked - I can't remember - with all the doors and windows securely locked. The only wound was on the sole of one foot.
He'd been helping himself to Dad's whisky while his parents were out, overdone it, heard what he thought was his parents' return, panicked, put the lights out, dropped and smashed a glass, stepped on it with a bare foot and quickly bled to death because of the fear-effect of adrenalin on his heart rate.
All this was conjecture on the part of Prof Keith Simpson, who was famous for solving cases with sudden unexpected discoveries.
Man kills friend with crossbow while trying to save him from pit bull attack
A man was shot and killed in his apartment by a crossbow bolt that a neighbor had fired at dogs who were attacking the man, authorities in Massachusetts said. The death Wednesday afternoon in Adams appears to be accidental, according to Berkshire District Attorney Andrea Harrington.
The neighbor heard a commotion and the victim, who was a friend, shouting for help just after noon, authorities said. The victim was identified as Joshua Jadusingh, 27, the Berkshire district attorney's office said in a statement.
The neighbor made his way into the apartment, then returned to his own unit to get the crossbow, which he was licensed to own and used for hunting, Harrington said at a news conference Thursday.
He stood at the bottom of a stairwell and fired up at a dog on the landing, she said. The bolt struck the dog with a glancing blow, went through the door and hit the man in the room where he was trying to barricade himself, Harrington said. A young girl in another room was unharmed.