Ridiculous Accidents

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
What's more ridiculous than a gender reveal party featuring a literally explosive climax? How about building the explosive apparatus as a DIY project ... ... and killing yourself in the process.
NY father-to-be killed, brother injured when gender reveal device explodes

A Sullivan County man was killed and his brother injured when a gender reveal device they were building exploded.

It happened just before noon Sunday, with state police responding to a report of an explosion.

Authorities say the investigation revealed that 28-year-old Christopher Pekny was building a device to be used at a child gender reveal party. ...

A 26-year-old man was killed at a baby shower after a cannon being used at the event exploded and sent shrapnel flying.

The device exploded, resulting in Pekny's death. State police confirm he was the father-to-be. ...
SOURCE: https://abc7ny.com/gender-reveal-explosion-christopher-pekny-michael-liberty/10361434/

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
That's shutting the stable door after Darwin's worst horses have mated!

"We think the kid escaped. Track it down! It's probably wearing blue!" :evil:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
That's shutting the stable door after Darwin's worst horses have mated!

"We think the kid escaped. Track it down! It's probably wearing blue!" :evil:

You are BAD.
Must admit that remarks passed between Techy and me on the subject.
Disrespectful ones. We are bad too.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
To be honest the whole idea of 'gender reveal' parties is a bit - what, tasteless? What's wrong with waiting nine months and seeing what you get? (I understand the parents wanting to know, but having a 'reveal' party for a bunch of people that don't really care seems pointless).

My son and his OH were told they were having a girl. Good job they didn't do a big 'gender reveal' party with all the pink stuff, because he turned out, on delivery, to be a boy.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My son and his OH were told they were having a girl. Good job they didn't do a big 'gender reveal' party with all the pink stuff, because he turned out, on delivery, to be a boy.
Bet that was a shock. :chuckle:

D'you reckon there's a American couple somewhere who've sued over that traumatic experience? :rofl:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Bet that was a shock. :chuckle:

D'you reckon there's a American couple somewhere who've sued over that traumatic experience? :rofl:
I think there are couples over here who have sued. Which is why, when they do the scans, they always say things like 'It looks very much as though you are expecting a girl', and they try never to state a definite certainty. Although buying pink or blue is pretty outdated nowadays, people do still decorate a nursery with a particular gender in mind. Son and OH weren't really bothered, although I did get a middle of the night phone call telling me that I wasn't going to be able to meet my new granddaughter - which stopped my heart as I thought there had been a tragedy - before son told me that it was a grandson I'd be meeting instead!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
IIRC it is usually frowned upon to tell expectant mothers the gender of their child, particularly in some societies in which the gender of a child could be, in some respect, unfavourable....

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think they should also use pipe bombs with coloured smoke when choosing new popes. Just looking at a chimney is a bit dull.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Or giant papal party poppers on the roof of the vatican. That'd be much more fun.