• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ridiculous Accidents

Ouch!

main-qimg-60f0ad4cf7184f14ba00783de49a30eb-1.gif

We seem to have a million Titanic threads, so no idea if this has been posted:
News story

Titanic exhibit's iceberg collapses and injured three people back in August (saw it in the new FT). Can we call it a curse?

We seem to have a million Titanic threads, so no idea if this has been posted:
News story

Titanic exhibit's iceberg collapses and injured three people back in August (saw it in the new FT). Can we call it a curse?
Think I saw it in the 'irony' thread

The Vikings are back, laying waste to Kirkcudbright!

Viking longboat

Image caption,The boat was being moved when it became caught in overhead cables

A Viking longboat has knocked out power supplies in a south of Scotland town.

The replica vessel was in Kirkcudbright as part of celebrations for the arrival of the Galloway treasure hoard at the town's galleries. It was being taken to a local primary school at about 10:30 when its mast became tangled in an overhead power line on St Mary Street. A number of surrounding properties were left without electricity, including a nearby museum.

Greg Collier-Jones, maritime officer with re-enactment group Regia Anglorum, apologised for any inconvenience they had caused.

"Overnight we displayed the boat in the church yard, lit up, and we had loads of people come round and look at her and be really impressed," he said. "This morning we were moving her from the church yard to the primary school to do a display. We decided - just to keep our time down and make sure we turned up in absolute style - we were going to turn up with the mast up."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-58845857

I mentioned in the e-scooter thread that I got called to an accident outside of the site today. A young lady had walked into an overhanging load on the back of a stationary lorry, fell unconscious to the floor and sustained a nasty laceration above the hairline.
CCTV footage shows her walking the full length of the lorry whilst heavily preoccupied with her mobile phone, as she went round the rear of the lorry onto the road she was still so occupied with her phone she failed to look where she was going. Her head struck the load and stopped whilst her legs were still trying to walk. Oh dear!

Off to hospital and likely another claim I am going to have fight when the ambulance chasers get a hold of her.

I mentioned in the e-scooter thread that I got called to an accident outside of the site today. A young lady had walked into an overhanging load on the back of a stationary lorry, fell unconscious to the floor and sustained a nasty laceration above the hairline.
CCTV footage shows her walking the full length of the lorry whilst heavily preoccupied with her mobile phone, as she went round the rear of the lorry onto the road she was still so occupied with her phone she failed to look where she was going. Her head struck the load and stopped whilst her legs were still trying to walk. Oh dear!

Off to hospital and likely another claim I am going to have fight when the ambulance chasers get a hold of her.
The CCTV footage should go in your favour, was the lorry on your site or outside? if it wasnt on your site it is the responsibility of the haulier.

The CCTV footage should go in your favour, was the lorry on your site or outside? if it wasnt on your site it is the responsibility of the haulier.
Most definitely outside. Arrived over an hour earlier than his pre-booked slot and had parked in the public realm. A member of the public complained there was no flag etc attached to the overhanging load but it was overhanging by less than a metre which legislation advises us there is no need for a visual sign.

Most definitely outside. Arrived over an hour earlier than his pre-booked slot and had parked in the public realm. A member of the public complained there was no flag etc attached to the overhanging load but it was overhanging by less than a metre which legislation advises us there is no need for a visual sign.
I'm pretty sure that if anyone is at fault it will be the haulier and not you.

I'm pretty sure that if anyone is at fault it will be the haulier and not you.
The haulier had driven down from Yorkshire and arrived early. He had been stationary for about 30 to 40 minutes before the young lady nutted the steel on the back of the lorry. I will advise the haulier via the contractor to inform their insurers in case a claim does come in but the driver doesn’t appear to have done any wrong.
He was parked with his hazards on and the lady was so preoccupied with her phone that she failed to see the hazard. She will have a sore head in the morning.

The haulier had driven down from Yorkshire and arrived early. He had been stationary for about 30 to 40 minutes before the young lady nutted the steel on the back of the lorry. I will advise the haulier via the contractor to inform their insurers in case a claim does come in but the driver doesn’t appear to have done any wrong.
He was parked with his hazards on and the lady was so preoccupied with her phone that she failed to see the hazard. She will have a sore head in the morning.
Well, people should take some responsibility for awareness of their surroundings.
But that never stopped someone getting litigious.

It’s always a bit of a pain when compensation sets in.

'Sit walker conscius ubi ambulant.'

Well, many years ago, I was walking along with my 'boom box' (they were called something different back then) when I decide to FFWD the tape to the next track (blimey sounds really ancient now) so I lifted it up to view the controls on the front and walked straight into a lamp-post.
The back of the box popped open spilling several 'C' size batteries onto the pavement whilst I saw stars.

Here's a YouTube video on the Late Late Breakfast Show incident in which participant Michael Lush was killed:

On the 13th of November 1986, BBC employees were rehearsing a stunt for an upcoming episode of The Late Late Breakfast Show.

The spot would see a member of the public carrying out a movie-style stunt after a week of intensive training.

It was a popular segment… but on this occasion it would end up going very, very wrong.

Seems that on the day of Mr Lush's death, a BBC crew member offered to do the stunt first to show it was safe.
I bet that bloke had ten years of waking up at 3am in a cold sweat.

Not entirely ridiculous, but relatively uncommon:

Woman becomes unwell behind the wheel and drives into house in Nieuwleusen
In Nieuwleusen, a car drove into a house this morning. The driver of the car became unwell behind the wheel and got off the road. She was rushed to the hospital, where she died.

At the time of the accident, the occupant of the house was at home. She was in the kitchen at the back of the house and came free with the fright, writes RTV Oost.

The driver of the car became unwell when she drove into the parking lot of a shopping mall. The car went off the road and drove straight through the front of the house.

The emergency services were quickly on the scene and resuscitated the woman. She was then taken to the hospital by ambulance.

The road is temporarily blocked off and the damage to the house is mapped.

Picture here:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2407899-vrou...t-stuur-en-rijdt-woning-binnen-in-nieuwleusen

I don't know if this comes under 'accident' or 'nature's retribution'.

I went to put on my sports bra the other day to go for a run. A wasp, obviously seeking somewhere warm and comfortable to spend the winter, had crawled inside one of the cups. Luckily I pulled the bra on over my head, and thus got stung on the ribcage, whereas if I had put it on in a more normal fashion it might have stung me somewhere more sensitive.

As it was I had a huge itchy lump (I react quite badly to wasp stings) on my abdomen for a good week.

I don't know if this comes under 'accident' or 'nature's retribution'.

I went to put on my sports bra the other day to go for a run. A wasp, obviously seeking somewhere warm and comfortable to spend the winter, had crawled inside one of the cups. Luckily I pulled the bra on over my head, and thus got stung on the ribcage, whereas if I had put it on in a more normal fashion it might have stung me somewhere more sensitive.

As it was I had a huge itchy lump (I react quite badly to wasp stings) on my abdomen for a good week.

I do admit to preferring a bee sting, rather than a wasp sting.

Little detail was available for this story of a person who accidentally burned down a million-dollar home when attempting to eradicate snakes. It’s not unlikely that snakes may enter homes to hibernate over the winter but nothing else makes sense here.
https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local...aze-attempting-to-smoke-out-snake-infestation
I'm sure there would be better ways to get rid of them...like turning all the heating off instead, and then grabbing them when they were torpid.

Well, one could come up with quite a number of reasonable alternative than using fire. A magical spell indeed seems more reasonable.

Thousands injured doing DIY in England last year:
News story

But I fear they're burying the lede, as there were also nine people aged 90 or over who fell from playground equipment, a 90-year-old woman bitten by a "crocodile or alligator" and 60 people bitten by spiders. These are NHS hospital figures, and "the tip of the iceberg" as many of the injuries would be treated by GPs. Be careful out there!

Back