• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dumb & Deadly Gender Reveal Stunts

I have just learned, crookedly, from the above dailymash link that gender-reveal parties are a thing. Maybe more virtual than real, these days, maybe not, should you want to "gift" the virus . . .

On the bright side, I have never been invited to one! I must be doing something right. OK, that's just ageing. :buck:

I have just learned, crookedly, from the above dailymash link that gender-reveal parties are a thing. Maybe more virtual than real, these days, maybe not, should you want to "gift" the virus . . .

On the bright side, I have never been invited to one! I must be doing something right. OK, that's just ageing. :buck:

They're a US phenomenon I doubt they'll catch on here.

Remember the baby gender reveal party where someone cluelessly built a DIY firework display and killed a guest?

Family members had been experimenting with explosives in the hopes of posting a colourful announcement on social media, authorities said.

They welded a metal cylinder to a stand and packed it with gunpowder that they thought would send the coloured baby powder aloft. But authorities say tape covering the top of the cylinder caused it to detonate like a pipe bomb.

(Guardian 29/10/19)

Last edited by a moderator:
What's more ridiculous than a gender reveal party featuring a literally explosive climax? How about building the explosive apparatus as a DIY project ... ... and killing yourself in the process.
NY father-to-be killed, brother injured when gender reveal device explodes

A Sullivan County man was killed and his brother injured when a gender reveal device they were building exploded.

It happened just before noon Sunday, with state police responding to a report of an explosion.

Authorities say the investigation revealed that 28-year-old Christopher Pekny was building a device to be used at a child gender reveal party. ...

A 26-year-old man was killed at a baby shower after a cannon being used at the event exploded and sent shrapnel flying.

The device exploded, resulting in Pekny's death. State police confirm he was the father-to-be. ...

SOURCE: https://abc7ny.com/gender-reveal-explosion-christopher-pekny-michael-liberty/10361434/

That's shutting the stable door after Darwin's worst horses have mated!

"We think the kid escaped. Track it down! It's probably wearing blue!" :evil:

Gender-reveal device explosion kills father-to-be

A father-to-be from New York state has died after a device he was building for his child's gender-reveal party exploded, according to police.

Christopher Pekny, 28, was assembling the device in the town of Liberty when it exploded just before noon on Sunday.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-56159731

Last edited:

A father-to-be from New York state has died after a device he was building for his child's gender-reveal party exploded, according to police.

Christopher Pekny, 28, was assembling the device in the town of Liberty when it exploded just before noon on Sunday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-56159731

A spokesman for state police told the New York Times the device consisted of some kind of pipe, without giving further details.

There's your problem. Another amateur pipe bomb.

To be honest the whole idea of 'gender reveal' parties is a bit - what, tasteless? What's wrong with waiting nine months and seeing what you get? (I understand the parents wanting to know, but having a 'reveal' party for a bunch of people that don't really care seems pointless).

My son and his OH were told they were having a girl. Good job they didn't do a big 'gender reveal' party with all the pink stuff, because he turned out, on delivery, to be a boy.

My son and his OH were told they were having a girl. Good job they didn't do a big 'gender reveal' party with all the pink stuff, because he turned out, on delivery, to be a boy.

Bet that was a shock. :chuckle:

D'you reckon there's a American couple somewhere who've sued over that traumatic experience? :rofl:

D'you reckon there's a American couple somewhere who've sued over that traumatic experience? :rofl:
I think there are couples over here who have sued. Which is why, when they do the scans, they always say things like 'It looks very much as though you are expecting a girl', and they try never to state a definite certainty. Although buying pink or blue is pretty outdated nowadays, people do still decorate a nursery with a particular gender in mind. Son and OH weren't really bothered, although I did get a middle of the night phone call telling me that I wasn't going to be able to meet my new granddaughter - which stopped my heart as I thought there had been a tragedy - before son told me that it was a grandson I'd be meeting instead!

IIRC it is usually frowned upon to tell expectant mothers the gender of their child, particularly in some societies in which the gender of a child could be, in some respect, unfavourable....

I think they should also use pipe bombs with coloured smoke when choosing new popes. Just looking at a chimney is a bit dull.

Or giant papal party poppers on the roof of the vatican. That'd be much more fun.

That's the second of those that I've heard of. Just ridiculous.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-56159731
One of these went off on the right day in October 2019 in a gender reveal event and killed a guest. At least Pekny didn't take anyone else with him.

To be honest the whole idea of 'gender reveal' parties is a bit - what, tasteless? What's wrong with waiting nine months and seeing what you get? (I understand the parents wanting to know, but having a 'reveal' party for a bunch of people that don't really care seems pointless).

In any case , surely, it is not 'gender' reveal , its 'sex' reveal? Modern opinion does not recognise gender as established at birth. But sex undoubtedly is. Chromosomes do not lie.

In any case , surely, it is not 'gender' reveal , its 'sex' reveal? Modern opinion does not recognise gender as established at birth. But sex undoubtedly is. Chromosomes do not lie.

Yup, I reckon they feel 'gender' sounds more formal and respectable than 'sex' in this context.

I think they should also use pipe bombs with coloured smoke when choosing new popes. Just looking at a chimney is a bit dull.
I posted an article on the 'strange deaths' thread about a guy who blew himself up with a home made pipebomb at a gender reveal party :bomb:

When the scans were first available on the NHS mothers wouldn't be told the sex. This went on at least up to 1986 when Escette was born.

I'd always ask and be told 'I can't tell you that!' and as I couldn't make out anything myself it was still a surprise.

Why was this? To me it seemed like relinquishing a little control to a mere woman. Nobody important, just the child's own mother who couldn't be trusted with the facts.

What's she going to do if she knows, panic? Change her mind? Pathetic.

I think I referred to the practice of not advising the mother on the sex of the baby previously.
AFAIK it relates to certain societies preference for one sex over another, and lets say you came from a society/country/religion in which it was frowned upon in some respect to have a baby girl (eg), were you to know that in advance it might encourage more abortions.

I think I referred to the practice of not advising the mother on the sex of the baby previously.
AFAIK it relates to certain societies preference for one sex over another, and lets say you came from a society/country/religion in which it was frowned upon in some respect to have a baby girl (eg), were you to know that in advance it might encourage more abortions.
Here in the UK there is no cultural stigma attached to having babies of one sex or the other. Couples don't abort a 'wrong' sex baby.

Here in the UK there is no cultural stigma attached to having babies of one sex or the other. Couples don't abort a 'wrong' sex baby.
British people, correct.

I'm reminded of the story of the old country doctor who would tell a couple "you're having a girl" and then write "boy" next to their name in a little notebook (or vice versa). When a boy was born and the couple said "I thought you said girl", he would pull out the book and say "you must have been too excited at the time to remember correctly - see, it says 'boy''.

I refer you to the Guevedoces thread.

Yup, I reckon they feel 'gender' sounds more formal and respectable than 'sex' in this context.
"Sex reveal party" conjures up something else.

But::botp:

Correctamundo......here in the UK though we have had people coming to live in this country over many decades now, and people come here from all over the world and bring their own societal norms with them. General practice and midwifery here would, I expect, adapt to those over the years.

Correctamundo......here in the UK though we have had people coming to live in this country over many decades now, and people come here from all over the world and bring their own societal norms with them. General practice and midwifery here would, I expect, adapt to those over the years.
'Wrong sex' is still not grounds for abortion in the UK unless there is a medical reason like a strong risk of the child suffering a named severe disability.

Some inherited affect the sexes in different ways, like haemophilia. A girl can carry the gene and pass it on to her own children without suffering from it whereas a boy might be badly affected.

IIRC it is usually frowned upon to tell expectant mothers the gender of their child, particularly in some societies in which the gender of a child could be, in some respect, unfavourable....

Indeed.

All three of our children were born at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.

The Royal London have a very strict policy of not disclosing the sex of the child, as some members of the community were aborting the baby, if they found out that the sex was female.

Sad but true.

Back