• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ridiculous Accidents

I'm not familiar with the physical layout of Piccadilly Line trains, but I don't understand how one gets their head crushed simply by being between carriages. Every train system I've been on that physically - if not legally - allows passengers to move between cars has a gap between those cars. In fact I can't imagine a setup that doesn't; the train has to flex when rounding curves.
I think maybe it was flexing at the time, causing one side of the gap between carriages to narrow considerably, trapping the person's head.

I think maybe it was flexing at the time, causing one side of the gap between carriages to narrow considerably, trapping the person's head.
I was thinking that, but it would have to be a very tight curve and you'd have to lean into it. Maybe they tripped?

Again speculating, but that’s my assumption - he was in the gap having a piss when the train hit a curve. He was on the inside of the curve & was squashed as the space between carriages compressed.

During previous accident investigation courses of several years ago it was explained that when a man trips and falls forward when holding something, he instinctively drops what he is holding, throws out his arms to protect himself, and frequently we see broken wrists and collar bones.
A woman on the other hand instinctively clutches what she is holding and attempts to turn side on, this to potentially protect a child she may be holding.
I’ve had a guy on site trip over a large concrete upstand that has been in the same place for several months because he didn’t see it. He assures me he wasn’t carrying anything or using a phone at the time, but somehow he has landed on his bent elbows breaking both arms.
I have never seen damaged elbows from a forward slip trip or fall in the 43 years I have been in construction and I don’t think he is painting the whole picture.
Unfortunately for him, he lives alone, with both arms in plaster and taped held across his chest to support them and keep them raised. God knows how he is managing visits to the toilet?

A Detroit police officer fired his weapon at a charging dog, but hit his partner instead.
Detroit police officer accidentally shot on the city’s west side -- what we know

A Detroit police officer was rushed to the hospital this afternoon after being shot in the leg accidentally by their partner.

The officers were dispatched on a mental health run responding to reports of a possibly suicidal person.

Upon the officer’s arrival at the scene, a dog charged them in the yard. This is when one officer pulled their weapon to shoot at the oncoming dog, but hit their partner in the leg instead.

The officer is currently being treated at Sinai-Grace Hospital and is said to be stable. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...cer-shot-on-the-citys-west-side-what-we-know/

I'm guessing that that is someone who accidentally reversed over the edge of a multi-storey car park.

Good guess! ...

Driver Accidentally Ends Up on Top of Parked Car​

No, it's not an optical illusion — this SUV really is on top of another parked car.
The incident occurred in Zhengzhou, China, on September 14, after the SUV driver accidentally reversed the car out of a raised parking lot. Luckily, no one was injured.
(FB; Video): https://m.facebook.com/NowThisNews/...nds-up-on-top-of-parked-car/1128937054725378/

Thing is, as soon as you even begin to move you know if you're going the wrong way.
When I see these things I just think 'terrible driver who shouldn't be allowed on the roads'.
Usually some decrepit moron who mashed their foot into the pedal in a panic.
Lucky that these idiots don't kill people.

Thing is, as soon as you even begin to move you know if you're going the wrong way.
When I see these things I just think 'terrible driver who shouldn't be allowed on the roads'.
Sometimes they do - link from the Southern Daily Echo about a horrific accident on Shanklin beach a few years ago.

That's awful.
But the statement "Mrs Smith said she had not put her foot on the accelerator and did not know why the car sped off."
That just supports what I said. She shouldn't have been driving. The car would not have 'sped off' unless she pressed the accelerator. And no mention of pressing the brake pedal.

It's panic. I saw a lady in a car park reverse into a car, surge forward and hit a car opposite, then reverse again and hit a third car. Admittedly she was driving one of those old DAF's that only had a simple T-shift to go from forward to reverse with no sort of lock.

It's panic. I saw a lady in a car park reverse into a car, surge forward and hit a car opposite, then reverse again and hit a third car. Admittedly she was driving one of those old DAF's that only had a simple T-shift to go from forward to reverse with no sort of lock.
Many years ago the company I worked for had an old Mercedes van. The first problem was that first gear was back towards you. That took some getting used to. The second problem was that reverse was where first usually is, ie forward and not only that, due to wear and tear, the lever went easily into gear without having the usual safety features of reverse- push down, push a button etc.
So, you're at the lights. Lights turn green, the driver (me) forgets that first is now back, slams the gearstick forward into what I think is first, but is actually reverse and sets off.. backwards of course. Lot of honking and swearing from vehicles behind. Understandably.

Try driving a Bedford Midi with a column change which is heavily worn!
That column change was some sort of 'wishing stick' - you wished you could find the right gear.
Yes that was one of our company vans once upon a time.
Even when they were good they were bleedin awful.
The scariest thing ever was trying to drive one on the motorway when there was a strong side wind.
They were like trying to drive a kite.
1664443283395.png

I mistimed my entry jumping into one of these many moons ago and absolutely twatted the top of my head on the doorway……I was convinced that somebody had attacked me until I had recovered my senses and realised what I’d actually done!

Try driving a Bedford Midi with a column change which is heavily worn!
That column change was some sort of 'wishing stick' - you wished you could find the right gear.
Yes that was one of our company vans once upon a time.
Even when they were good they were bleedin awful.
The scariest thing ever was trying to drive one on the motorway when there was a strong side wind.
They were like trying to drive a kite.
View attachment 59394
Had one of those! It was very much at end of life and the gearchange was awful. Didn't have any trouble with the handling though - thought it was pretty good for a van. My wife never did manage to get it into reverse.

Many years ago the company I worked for had an old Mercedes van. The first problem was that first gear was back towards you. That took some getting used to. The second problem was that reverse was where first usually is, ie forward and not only that, due to wear and tear, the lever went easily into gear without having the usual safety features of reverse- push down, push a button etc.
So, you're at the lights. Lights turn green, the driver (me) forgets that first is now back, slams the gearstick forward into what I think is first, but is actually reverse and sets off.. backwards of course. Lot of honking and swearing from vehicles behind. Understandably.
I drove an old Acco Inter truck a number of decades ago, and its gearbox was first, UP from neutral, then back to neutral, and around the post to the right for second. Reverse was straight down from first...It also had an Eaton two speed differential. Such fun.

This was in the days when diesel trucks would take 3 minutes and 45 seconds to go from whoa to 35 MPH. Needless to say, first was only used with a full load.

I drove an old Acco Inter truck a number of decades ago, and its gearbox was first, UP from neutral, then back to neutral, and around the post to the right for second. Reverse was straight down from first...It also had an Eaton two speed differential. Such fun.

This was in the days when diesel trucks would take 3 minutes and 45 seconds to go from whoa to 35 MPH. Needless to say, first was only used with a full load.
And no power steering/heater/radio etc as well I gather?

Many moons ago I worked for a Ford dealer, went in one day to find a
car imbedded in one of the walls, what had happened was that at that
time Ford was switching from the 100E side valve to the Anglia, but they
made a few 107e's these were 100e's with the Anglia engine, so had a 4
speed box and first was were reverse is on the 3 speed with the above result.
:omr:

And no power steering/heater/radio etc as well I gather?
Engine in cab, rather than cab over engine Floyd1, so you could say that there was heating, and there was a radio (Mobile to base!)...and the steering was much better when it was moving.

It was easy to slip from the cab on disembarking in the wet, it was incredibly noisy, and it would bog in an inch of damp soil, but all in all I loved it. It took me for thousands of miles all over South Australia., and provided some amazing experiences.

Known affectionately as 'Cyril, the Beast'.

What's most surprising is she seems nice, but in total denial......somebody like this could be on your street today! Keep 'em peeled.

Highly likely that drugs were involved, but breathtaking all the same:

Three-wheels, spraying sparks, open to the air!

A similar incident occurred involving a colleague of mine pursuing a woman driver back in the Seventies. He first saw the vehicle trailing sparks and smoke, and had Hell’s own job trying to get her to stop using blue lights, siren etc.

From (imperfect) memory l think the tyre had blown, and she’d just hunched her shoulders and was mentally repeating “La-la-la-not happening…” as she tried to get home.

Also from memory, the wheel had gone, and the brake/axle assembly was ground down to a neat cone by the time my pal persuaded her to stop.

maximus otter

Driver plunges smart car 35ft down lift shaft

She rammed through the closed door of a lift shaft.

Her car landed upside down but she miraculously managed to free herself.

The woman immediately called local firefighters for help.

A Stuttgart Fire Department spokesperson said: "The woman was able to climb out of her Smart and make an emergency call with her cell phone."

Two firefighters abseiled down and strapped the driver to a stretcher.

After she received first aid, other firemen then pulled her up to safety.

The driver later told Bild newspaper in Germany: "I have no idea how that could have happened. Physically, I'm fine again."
1665437333495.png

Back