Ridiculous Typos & Piss-Poor Proof-Reading

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Ah, so it was in the Gracechurch Centre back then. It must have moved at some point in the 80s or 90s to its current location.

John Menzies is long gone now, of course, and BHS is now standing empty.

As you were...
It's sad BHS is empty now, I used to buy my Star Wars toys there in the downstairs children's department with my pocket money.

edit: the figures were £1.99 back then and they sold 20p dinosaurs and 10p bouncy balls :) .. my Mum's favourite anecdote about me was when I got lost in there when I was very young .. I was crying a bit so was taken to a desk for the immortal (as she tells it) store announcement over the tannoy "WOULD MR'S SWIFTY PLEASE COLLECT HER SON FROM THE LADIES UNDERWEAR DEPARTMENT" .. my parents thought it was hilarious and my Mum asked me if I was looking for boobs in the ladies bras .. it was the 70's though ..

Last edited:

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
There was one near me that had an upside-down sign after it had shut down. I think they opened up again in another shop.
When our local Dixons shut down in the 80's, they put the sign in reverse, leaving it up for ages.

This inspired my one-time game of Dungeons and Dragons, when I called my character Snoxid the Shit.