Ridiculous Typos & Piss-Poor Proof-Reading

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Sorry but I don't see how it could be possible to get that silhouette from that shape! I suspect a little post-production processing.
No, it's real. Here's a newspaper report from February last year -

Daily Mirror

One some days at approximately 1pm, naughty shadows appear along the bridge's pathways. Penis shapes can be seen, thanks to the the decorative holes that run along the monument's adjoining walls.

The shadows begin in a non-phallic fashion, before the sun rolls across the sky, allowing the shadows to grow out of the trefoil cut-outs. The bottom two 'leaves' stay round, while the third below stretches out. The shadows reside a while before returning to their less sexually aggressive state.

genex17

Ephemeral Spectre
I tried to find some article that would debunk it, but not this time.

Filed under: "Things that appear to be Photoshopped, but are not."

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
One misspelling is going to cost a Colorado university tens of thousands of dollars to correct ...

Colorado college reprinting up to 9.2K diplomas to fix typo
A Colorado university is offering to reprint up to 9,200 diplomas after the outgoing editor of the school newspaper found a big typo.

Alec Williams was checking to make sure his name was spelled correctly on his Colorado Mesa University diploma when he noticed it said “Coard of Trustees” instead of “Board of Trustees” in Old English font.
Williams told The Daily Sentinel he laughed, but then got frustrated because he had $30,000 in student loans and a diploma with a typo.

CMU President Tim Foster says the university is sending corrected diplomas to 2018 graduates and will offer them to graduates as far back as 2012.

They cost $5 each, so the university could spend nearly $46,000.

Foster says CMU designs its diplomas “so this mistake is all ours.”
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/a18ba385ad0b4993...ge-reprinting-up-to-9.2K-diplomas-to-fix-typo

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Cathay Pacific spells name wrong on one of its planes in very big letters - forgets to put the 'F' in it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45572275

Some cynical people reckon it was deliberate, I'm guessing to raise the airline's profile, and it certainly looks like an error that would be difficult to make - missing one of just seven letters. That said, years ago in Trowbridge 'Total Bathrooms' managed to put up a huge sign that spelt it 'Total Batrooms', so you never know. That went up on a Friday night and was gone by the next day!

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
This was intentional and not a typo, but I can't think of a better thread for it. "An advert for a Glasgow restaurant's 'Phat Phuc' special has been cleared by advertising regulators."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/...t_Phuc__poster_cleared_by_advertising_chiefs/
There's also a place in Glasgow that sells discount sofas called Sofaking Cheap. Must admit, it took me ages to get the joke, I went past it every day on the bus for months, and it was only when I heard someone say it out loud that I realised what it was meant to say!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
There's also a place in Glasgow that sells discount sofas called Sofaking Cheap. ...it was only when I heard someone say it out loud that I realised what it was meant to say!
When l first worked in our Force Control Room we were allowed custom screen savers for our monitors. At one point mine was a scrolling legend that read:

High Ham Sofa King Wheat Hard Head

Several people expressed confusion. l used to suggest that they read it aloud. Much hilarity ensued.

The force later changed its policy, and we ended up with some PC bromide as the inescapable standard screen saver. Gotta crack down on that “morale” nonsense.

maximus otter