Ridiculous Typos & Piss-Poor Proof-Reading

catseye

For the greater good
This is a gem that puts mere typos and proof-reading errors in the shade.

View attachment 13882

Field Marshal Archibald Wavell, 1st Earl Wavell was a great man of erudition far beyond that of most soldiers and this biography was well-received by reviewers.

The problem?

That's not him on the cover. It's Field Marshal Sir John Dill - a contemporary of Wavell's.

Surely the author herself would know the difference in an instant?
Author may well have known, but we authors don't often get a say in our book covers. She might have been complaining like hell but someone at the publishers will have said 'oh, no one will know, besides, John Dill is a lot more photogenic than Wavell/we can't get a decent pic of Wavell in uniform/the pics we've got of Wavell won't blow up big enough to go on a book cover'.

We are mere cogs in the machine...

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
That a dildo with balls?
No, it's a sculpture, a plate of mussels, a fountain, a tower and some boche balls juxtaposed to present... IDK, something to do with a feeling of being in scuba gear in a bathtub full of spaghetti, while watching a nun descale a fish while sitting on your cathode ray TV box as far as I can tell.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Well that song stinks!

For some reason, archive.org renders The Song of Songs - presumably Moya's ballad, not King Solomon's - as Song of Socks!

It should be said that their declared ambition is to digitize the complete 78 rpm era but they seem to skimp on the business of identifying the sides. Anything in Japanese script is shrugged off as "nothing legible!"

Warning. Once you start browsing, you may never stop . . . :doh:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
I suppose it could have been worse "A Smuggler Tale of Rodney Marsh" (for older footy fans)
Which reminds me of one of my favourite anecdotes, from the Guardian, a while back...

He [Marsh] played a mere nine times for England. There was a reason for that, too. When Alf Ramsey told him, "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at half time," Marsh replied: "Crikey, Alf, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea." He was never picked again.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I suppose it could have been worse "A Smuggler Tale of Rodney Marsh" (for older footy fans)
Or Rodney Marsh (former Australian test wicket keeper) who at one time held the sporting world record for numbers of cans of beer drunk on the flight between Sydney and London. Legend says it was 106.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
After a quiet spell, a massive, new batch of transcriptions from 78s has gone up on archive.org.

Browsing through them, I was charmed to discover a Gershwin song I did not know.

Nice Wok, if You Can Get It!:chef:

From Damson in Distress, presumably.
It'll be panned by the critics and could cause a bit of a stir...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Well, yeah, it would, giving consent is very important if you're being filmed or someone's using a photo or footage of you. It'll be illegal in some cases if you haven't and they use it anyway. That's why there's so much blurring on factual TV these days - I'm half expecting fictional TV to follow suit!

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Well, yeah, it would, giving consent is very important if you're being filmed or someone's using a photo or footage of you. It'll be illegal in some cases if you haven't and they use it anyway. That's why there's so much blurring on factual TV these days - I'm half expecting fictional TV to follow suit!
Yeah... I was being facetious about the grammar, because the headline infers that he didn't have consent to find it! :D