Ridiculous Typos & Piss-Poor Proof-Reading

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
In danger of going off thread but I looked up another famous bible - the Breeches Bible - (1579): Genesis Chapter III Verse 7 reads: "Then the eies of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked, and they sewed figge tree leaves together, and made themselves breeches." In the King James Version of 1611, "breeches" was changed to "aprons" "
Then found the headline:

Geneva Breeches Bible - worth £3,000 - STOLEN and replaced with 99p copy

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/stolen-geneva-breeches-bible-3000-2879813

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I'm not sure this is a case of proof-reading as opposed to logic-checking, but I've just been reminded of a classic Daily Star error.

The article was subsequently re-written to promote the purchase as a good investment, but the author of the original seemed to believe that a five-inch naval gun was literally five inches long. Or, as they memorably had it, 'the length of a toothbrush'.

I'm no expert on firearms, but the five-inch refers to the bore of the weapon (so the internal diameter of its barrel), not its length.

And before you excuse the writer, imagine if it did refer to weapon length. And then imagine mounting that on a naval vessel.

Would that not start alarm bells ringing?

EQ4x20oWkAA31Pi.jpeg

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
I'm not sure this is a case of proof-reading as opposed to logic-checking, but I've just been reminded of a classic Daily Star error.

The article was subsequently re-written to promote the purchase as a good investment, but the author of the original seemed to believe that a five-inch naval gun was literally five inches long. Or, as they memorably had it, 'the length of a toothbrush'.

I'm no expert on firearms, but the five-inch refers to the bore of the weapon (so the internal diameter of its barrel), not its length.

And before you excuse the writer, imagine if it did refer to weapon length. And then imagine mounting that on a naval vessel.

View attachment 23295
That would make it a one caliber gun ! The length of a gun barrel is measured in how many times the internal diameter of the gun is long, so a 5 inch gun of 40 calibers would be 40 x 5 inch's long .

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

View attachment 23295
I hope 'Margi Murphy' has never found work as a journalist again. What a howler.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.

View attachment 23295
If a weapon the size of a toothbrush can still sink a ship, it should be considered a revolutionary step forwards in naval gun design.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Risking to make a fool of myself ... I think clap is syphilis or gonorrhea.
Wow, does nobody use the term "a case of the clap" as a colorful euphemism for venereal disease anymore? I guess I'd better learn y'all:
Venereal Disease Slang.
(Even I didn't know "crotch crickets", and that's memorable.)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Wow, does nobody use the term "a case of the clap" as a colorful euphemism for venereal disease anymore?
I would expect it to be "dose of the clap". But who knows what these hip young things call it these days, them and their popular beat combos...

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient