• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Ridiculous Typos & Piss-Poor Proof-Reading

Sid

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The type of T.V. Adverts that make me chuckle to myself, are the one's that advertise those washing tablets, when they state ~ 'KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN!'
"Some things are naturally instinctive!"
:)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The type of T.V. Adverts that make me chuckle to myself, are the one's that advertise those washing tablets, when they state ~ 'KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN!'
"Some things are naturally instinctive!"
:)
Ha ha! When that ad comes on, it always makes me laugh.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The film Anne of the Thousand Days was on the other week, and I was trying to recall who a certain actor was - I've forgotten who it was, but that's not important - so I googled the film on my phone, and brought up the cast list.

Given that the film was made in 1969 and was set in the court of Henry VIII, which of these actors do you imagine I found the most surprising?
Screenshot_20210129_115322_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I expect it's the inclusion of Cyril Luckham as Prior Houghton.
Cyril was born in Salisbury, Wiltshire, and spent his formative years training for a career in the Navy, after which he retired but took up acting, whilst still on retention for service should it be needed. After a brief stint in WWII leading to being medically discharged he returned to the stage, and then also into film and TV roles.
There might have been some confusion as to his role in 'Anne of a thousand days' as he had previously appeared as Archbishop Thomas Cranmer in the 1966 adaptation of 'A man for all seasons'. Thomas Cranmer of course being in direct opposition to the martyred Prior Houghton (that he depicted in 'Anne of a thousand days'), who had pleaded for exemption to the new oath supporting King Henry VIIIs Act of Supremacy.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Last edited:

Trevp666

Reaction score
Because 'French'?

Trevp666

Reaction score
I'm guessing that if the depictions were an attempt to be accurate then the biplane could be the Rumpler B.I, used by the Ottomans over Gallipoli, which was a Type 4A platform with a fuselage length of 27' 6” and a height of 10' 1”. Its wingspan covered an area of 42' 6”. The Rumpler was powered by a Mercedes DI-Krei engine capable of producing 104hp; this power propelled the Rumpler at speeds of around 75-79mph.
1613140248753.png

Or maybe the Albatros B.I, (post-war company designation L.1) which was a German military reconnaissance aircraft designed in 1913 which saw service during World War I. The B.I was a two-seat biplane of conventional configuration that seated the observer and the pilot in separate cockpits in tandem. The wings were originally of three-bay design, but were later changed to a two-bay, unstaggered configuration. A floatplane version was developed as the Albatros W.I.
1613140415700.png

The French had a squadron, including eight Farman HF.20 aircraft, stationed at Bozcaada.
Of course the Farman HF.20 and its derivatives were a family of reconnaissance aircraft produced in France shortly before and during the First World War. It was a refined version of the Farman MF.11 "Shorthorn" that did away with the type's distinctive landing skids, and incorporated design features from Henri Farman's designs. It entered service with the French, Belgian and Serbian armies in 1913.
However the HF.20 was seriously underpowered, and a variety of engines were trialled in the hope of correcting this, none with much success. The problem was eventually solved only when an engine of twice the power of the original powerplant was fitted to the HF.27 variant, by which time the aircraft was already obsolete. Nevertheless, the performance of the HF.20 made it adequate for use on secondary fronts.
1613140540280.png

But the Sopwith Tabloid seaplane was the Allies’ main plane at the start of the expedition.
It was originally designed as a sports aircraft and later adapted for military use. They were among the first successful types to be built by the Sopwith Aviation Company. The "Tabloid", so named because of its small size, caused a sensation when it made its first public appearance.
1613140770588.png

The Germans sent the Turks two samples of the Gotha Airplane on July 5th, 1915.
The Gotha was one of the best aircraft ever developed, and the French and British high commands abandoned the campaign a month later, and they began to retreat while defending against the increasingly sized Ottoman air force.
The allies eventually evacuated the peninsula in January 1916, and the Dardanelles sector air defense was assigned to the new Dardanelles Squadron.

The main problem being with all of this though is that, in the main, these aircraft are not similar enough to what appears to be a Sopwith Camel as depicted on that cover, so I suspect a case of mistaken identity.
If anything, these look more like the creations of Klunk and Zilly in 'Stop the Pigeon'.

Trevp666

Reaction score
"...flying a Union Flag upside-down!"

Strictly speaking, the picture is incorrect anyway, despite being upside down, as a 'Standard Bearer' in an infantry unit is 'carrying the colour'. As such he (or she) is the rallying point of the unit and as such, should NOT relinquish his (or her) hold on the staff, and should that person become mortally wounded then another must pick it up, and so on, until no more are left. The bearer of the colours should be the 'last man standing' (or woman).
Carrying a weapon of any sort in the other hand would therefore be unlikely, unless you plan to use it single-handedly, so a pistol or stabbing blade maybe, but definitely not a rifle.
There have been instances in history in which the Standard Bearers of each opposing side have come into combat, hitting each other with the flag-staff they hold.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
"...flying a Union Flag upside-down!"

Strictly speaking, the picture is incorrect anyway, despite being upside down, as a 'Standard Bearer' in an infantry unit is 'carrying the colour'. As such he (or she) is the rallying point of the unit and as such, should NOT relinquish his (or her) hold on the staff, and should that person become mortally wounded then another must pick it up, and so on, until no more are left. The bearer of the colours should be the 'last man standing' (or woman).
Carrying a weapon of any sort in the other hand would therefore be unlikely, unless you plan to use it single-handedly, so a pistol or stabbing blade maybe, but definitely not a rifle.
There have been instances in history in which the Standard Bearers of each opposing side have come into combat, hitting each other with the flag-staff they hold.
I am honoured to be a Standard Bearer during civic ceremonies in Edinburgh, and definitely the phrase “from my cold, dead hands” is appropriate and it’s not even a battle situation!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Gallipoli: La Bataille des Dardanelles

Just how much nope could they incorporate into one image?

*deep breath*:

Gallipoli,1915, and they depict:

a) A WW2 US Marine, armed with;
b) A US
Springfield rifle, Model 1903;
c) Disembarked from what appears to be a US WW2
Higgins Boat;
d) While a Sopwith Camel (only introduced in 1917) crashes...
e) ... and flying a
Union Flag upside-down!

*reaches, with trembling fingers, for the whisky bottle...

maximus otter
What do you think that's the supposed to be hanging from the left-hand side of his pack?

An entrenching tool?

Sid

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

Gallipoli: La Bataille des Dardanelles

Just how much nope could they incorporate into one image?

*deep breath*:

Gallipoli,1915, and they depict:

a) A WW2 US Marine, armed with;
b) A US
Springfield rifle, Model 1903;
c) Disembarked from what appears to be a US WW2
Higgins Boat;
d) While a Sopwith Camel (only introduced in 1917) crashes...
e) ... and flying a
Union Flag upside-down!

*reaches, with trembling fingers, for the whisky bottle...

maximus otter
I can't speak French; however, would that mean it's a bit of a... "Quel Mauvais Spectacle?"

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
The film Anne of the Thousand Days was on the other week, and I was trying to recall who a certain actor was - I've forgotten who it was, but that's not important - so I googled the film on my phone, and brought up the cast list.

Given that the film was made in 1969 and was set in the court of Henry VIII, which of these actors do you imagine I found the most surprising?
View attachment 34847
Proof that Anne was a person of colour:

Jodie Turner-Smith transforms into Anne Boleyn for first look at new Channel 5 drama | Daily Mail Online