Ridiculous Typos & Piss-Poor Proofreading / Copyediting

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I ain't gettin on no plane!
1632681095463.png

Trevp666

Reaction score
However, the phrase 'big in japan' was popular long before Alphaville had their hit. It was used by many artists to indicate their popularity outside of the US or the UK. Wikibumdia gives quite a thorough account.

The phrase was used as the name of a UK punk band active from 1977 to 1982 (whose name inspired the title of a 1984 hit single by new wave band Alphaville)

Big in Japan (phrase)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry this is totally off-topic, but REM years ago did a song called Cuyahoga, what is the connection?
The REM song was about the Cuyahoga River, which runs through Cuyahoga County (where Cleveland is located).

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
The REM song was about the Cuyahoga River, which runs through Cuyahoga County (where Cleveland is located).
Ah right so it’s all about a polluted river (amongst other things). I feel an earworm a-coming! Ta

Trevp666

Reaction score
Well, it IS a part time job, in Asda, in Dundee.
For all we know that might actually be the going rate.

Trevp666

Reaction score
When I first started doing private gardening jobs for people several years ago (I don't anymore) I was on the 'benefits' at the time, and because I'm an honest person I followed their instruction to declare any paid work I did.
I was only getting something like £65 per week 'jobseekers allowance' and when I declared the 4 hours of gardening I had done for £60 the chap in the benefits office advised that the same amount would be deducted from my benefits payment that week.
I pointed out that that was not the way to encourage people to try to get any work because essentially I could have just not bothered with driving my own vehicle to that job, using my own tools and equipment, and getting wet and dirty, and I would have still received the same amount of money. So basically doing those 4 hours of work actually ended up costing me both time and money.
And they wonder why people 'fiddle' the benefits?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
When I first started doing private gardening jobs for people several years ago (I don't anymore) I was on the 'benefits' at the time, and because I'm an honest person I followed their instruction to declare any paid work I did.
I was only getting something like £65 per week 'jobseekers allowance' and when I declared the 4 hours of gardening I had done for £60 the chap in the benefits office advised that the same amount would be deducted from my benefits payment that week.
I pointed out that that was not the way to encourage people to try to get any work because essentially I could have just not bothered with driving my own vehicle to that job, using my own tools and equipment, and getting wet and dirty, and I would have still received the same amount of money. So basically doing those 4 hours of work actually ended up costing me both time and money.
And they wonder why people 'fiddle' the benefits?
The problem with the system is that they don't allow you a comfortable transition from benefits to fully self-employed.
It's an either/or system.
Hence the reason why most people with an entrepreneurial spirit won't declare their income until they reach a point when they can safely come off benefits.

Trevp666

Reaction score
the system
....should actually be set up sensibly so that if someone manages to get some kind of private work or hits upon a money making scheme that they can declare it and only lose a nominal amount of their benefits, or even actually get MORE benefits, until the point that the income they create exceeds a sensible threshold. They might actually see the number of people on benefits reducing then.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
....should actually be set up sensibly so that if someone manages to get some kind of private work or hits upon a money making scheme that they can declare it and only lose a nominal amount of their benefits, or even actually get MORE benefits, until the point that the income they create exceeds a sensible threshold. They might actually see the number of people on benefits reducing then.
Yes.