• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

MrRING

Android Futureman
I figured it's high time we had a thread about good ol' Robert Ripley's comic strip and all it spawned... especially since his story is to be the basis for the next Tim Burton film (with Jim Carey rumoured to be playing Ripley):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492445/
Believe It or Not picks up with Ripley at the time when he gained celebrity status through a "Believe it or Not" column that chronicled his search for the greatest oddities in the world. Along the way, he starts to respect his unusual human discoveries as more than mere conquests to be documented.

But what of the real man? Or the various TV shows & comics based on his work? Find out more at the mega-WIKI article.
Ripley's Believe It or Not! deals in bizarre events and items so strange and unusual that readers might question the claims. The "Believe It or Not" franchise started in 1918 as a newspaper cartoon panel featuring unusual, hard-to-believe facts from around the world. Conceived and drawn by Robert Ripley, the panel proved popular and was later adapted into a wide variety of formats, including a radio program, a television show, a chain of museums, a pinball game and a series of books. They are all owned by the company Ripley's Entertainment.

Syndicated feature panel

Ripley's Believe It or Not! for July 11, 1965Originally involving sports feats, Ripley first called his feature Champs and Chumps, but less than a year later he changed the title to Believe It or Not, and it premiered on December 19, 1918 in the New York Globe. When the Globe folded in 1923, Ripley moved to the New York Evening News. That same year, Ripley hired Norbert Pearlroth as his researcher, and Pearlroth spent the next 52 years of his life in the New York Public Library, working ten hours a day and six days a week in order to find unusual facts for Ripley. Other writers and researchers included Lester Byck and Don Wimmer.

Artists who assisted Ripley or worked on the feature after Ripley included Joe Campbell (1946-1956), Art Sloggat, Clem Gretter (1941-1949), Carl Dorese, Bob Clarke (1943-1944), Stan Randall, Paul Frehm (1949-1978) and his brother Walter Frehm (1958-1978). Paul Frehm won the National Cartoonist Society Newspaper Panel Cartoon Award for 1976 for his work on the series. Clarke later drew parodies of Believe It or Not! for Mad, as did Wally Wood.

At the peak of its popularity, the syndicated feature was read daily by about 80 million readers, and during the first three weeks of May, 1932, alone, Ripley received over two million pieces of fan mail. Dozens of paperback editions reprinting the newspaper panels have been published over the decades. Other strips and books borrowed the Ripley design and format, such as Strange As It Seems by John Hix and It Happened in Canada. Recent Ripley's Believe It or Not! books containing new material have mostly done away with comic art in favor of photographs.

Believe It or Not! was the first publication of artwork by Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz. Schulz submitted a cartoon claiming his dog "Spike" (later the inspiration for Snoopy) was "a hunting dog who eats pins, tacks and razor blades."

There's also a few dozen Ripley's museums scattered throughout the world. I went to the one in Wisconsin Dells.

The exhibits I remember best include a depiction of Davinci's The Last Supper made with dryer lint, some weird bottles of liquor from China that contained fetal mice, and a "working" perpetual motion machine.

Oh, they also have Peter Kurten's head hanging from a chain in a hermetically sealed box. Bring the kids!

I had considered starting a Ripley thread since he seems like a common introduction to Forteana. I'm old enough to remember his strip in the Sunday comics.

My introduction to Ripley's was going to the museum in Copenhagen I think it was. Great stuff! There should be more places like this.

Come to think of it, one could liken the Ripley's odditoriums to the cabinets of curosities of the 16th & 17th centuries. And more recently, Barnum's Museum.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117955948.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Oedekerk brings 'Ripley' back to life

Carry, Burton still on board with film

By MICHAEL FLEMING

Paramount Pictures has resurrected shelved pic "Ripley's Believe It or Not!," hiring Steve Oedekerk to overhaul the script.

Remaining in place are Jim Carrey as Ripley and Tim Burton as director, both of whom approved Oedekerk.

Studio is eyeing a winter 2008 production start in China and a 2009 release date.

One of the most ambitious and pricey pictures hatched by the new Paramount regime, "Ripley's" was postponed (Daily Variety, June 13) months before its fall production start. Execs made that move because they faced the prospect of a China shoot with a budget north of $150 million, when Burton and especially Carrey were still coming up with ideas that necessitated a significant rewrite of the script by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski.

Oedekerk, who'll be paid a seven-figure fee, has long been a Carrey go-to-guy. They began collaborating on "In Living Color," and Oedekerk wrote and directed "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls" and scripted "Bruce Almighty." Oedekerk most recently scripted the Tom Shadyac-directed "Evan Almighty," starring Steve Carell.

Carrey hatched many of the creative ideas that will broaden the emphasis from his Robert Ripley character to some of the wonders he uncovered for his "Believe It or Not!" column.

Armed with a new take that has been approved by the studio, Oedekerk will work to ramp up the spectacle factor for a budget comparable to the original.

When Paramount applied the brakes to "Ripley's," Burton moved on to direct Johnny Depp in "Sweeney Todd," a DreamWorks adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim musical that Paramount will distribute for Christmas, 2007.

The delay came as Carrey was coming off the cancellation of "Used Guys," and watched his subsequent assignment, "A Little Game," get scrapped.

Fox unplugged "Used Guys" because neither the studio nor director Jay Roach were convinced the film would come in on a $105 million budget, and there were no pay-or-play deals with Carrey or Ben Stiller that would have made it prohibitively expensive for Fox to punt.

"A Little Game" came unglued when Cameron Diaz exited after reading a rewrite done by director Gabriele Muccino under the supervision of Focus Features topper James Schamus. Muccino ankled, and Carrey followed suit.

Oedekerk is repped by WMA.

Bumping an old thread, I didn't know that there was a Ripley's in Gatlinburg that closed and has just re opened, road trip youtube vlogger Carpetbagger has just visited it for the re opening ..

aripleys01.jpg

Ripley’s Believe It or Not! will be ringing in the new year @TimesSquareNYC for the #BallDrop! Watch our live stream on http://ripleys.com at 10pm EST for Ripley’s special guest @groovybruce to make a very exciting announcement live from the Countdown Stage!

Bruce Campbell is @groovybruce so we're all wondering if he's going to be presenting a new show for Ripleys.

Reactions: Jim
Have you not read any Ripley's Believe It Or Not stuff before? .. it's great and very Fortean.
Not in a few years but I remember enjoying their material. Actually kind of forgot about Ripley's. When I was a kid the folks would periodically buy me the old Ripley Believe it or not paperback.

Not in a few years but I remember enjoying their material. Actually kind of forgot about Ripley's. When I was a kid the folks would periodically buy me the old Ripley Believe it or not paperback.
There's some great Ripley's believe it or not TV episodes on youtube that are worth looking up Jim. I've only ever read the later hardback books that still come out every year.

Went to the Ripley's Museum in San Francisco in 1977. As a child I remember being fascinated and terrified by the shrunken heads on display there.

First look .. they've got Bruce in some kind of Raiders of the Lost Ark type setting here for the new Believe It Or Not! TV show. I can't bloody wait to watch these ..

aripleys_campbell.jpg

I had considered starting a Ripley thread since he seems like a common introduction to Forteana. I'm old enough to remember his strip in the Sunday comics.
to leroy robert ripley , THANK YOU for introducing me to the world of strangeness , i shall be forever grateful :twothumbs:

Love Bruce
Don't get me started .. I even own a KNB face cast of 'the chin' which one day I plan to resculpt over .. Bruce is especially great in (apart for The Evil Dead Films) 'My Name Is Bruce, Terminal Invasion and Bubba Ho-Tepp .. :) please go out of your way to watch those films if you love Bruce and you haven't already (I also own a few still in box Bruce Campbell figures)

Don't get me started .. I even own a KNB face cast of 'the chin' which one day I plan to resculpt over .. Bruce is especially great in (apart for The Evil Dead Films) 'My Name Is Bruce, Terminal Invasion and Bubba Ho-Tepp .. :) please go out of your way to watch those films if you love Bruce and you haven't already (I also own a few still in box Bruce Campbell figures)

Bubba-Ho-Tep is hilarious. Joe Lansdale is also a favourite writer of mine.

I had to watch all of the credits following the Evil Dead remake, just to see Brucie's camio. I did watch the Evil Dead tv series, but could only really appreciate the first season.

And don't forget the best poker game in TV history...

And don't forget the best poker game in TV history...

.. and not to mention the time they spent drinking genuine moonshine provided by Dave Goody, got Bruce stoned then Sam Raimi got twatted in the chest with a log and went to sleep up a home made platform until Scotty Spiegal found Sam snoring with blood trickling out of his mouth ..

I went to the Believe it or Not! museum on the Atlantic City boardwalk some years ago. The perfect location for such an attraction, and surprisingly large on the inside! The facade is wonderful, looking like a giant globe snapped from the chain that held it, breaking the wall of the building. (All fake, of course.)

And Bubba-Ho-Tep rules!

Newest teaser .. I hope it isn't only about idiots who extreme balance on top of cliff edges .. I want a bit of weird culture as well

Bruce standing next to one of those Robert Wadlow statues, the tallest man ever recorded as we know .. (I still reckon Bruce would win)

aripleyswadlow.jpg

Attachments

• aripleys_campbell.jpg
    aripleys_campbell.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 7
Bruce chewing the fat over the new series ..

Back