River Frome Tributary Turns Bright Blue (Somerset, U.K.)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Basically, they don't have a clue as to the reason at this stage. It's likely pollution, but the wildlife doesn't appear to have suffered.

_108268020_ebijrqrwsaaomco.png.jpeg

River Frome tributary turns bright blue
  • 1 hour ago
A tributary of a river has has been turned bright blue by a mystery substance.

The Environment Agency said it was carrying out tests on the tributary of the River Frome in Somerset after the water turned a luminous colour.

It said it was treating it as a suspected "pollution incident" but there were no reports of dead wildlife.

Source (extremely brief):
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-49305056

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Looks like somebody tipped a load of Comfort into it

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
The turquoise color seems the same as found in the toxic lakes I posted about in the last month or so.
Except that is not usually opaque but clear. I've never seen this color before and I can't find a dye that is this color. I'm really curious to hear what it is. Usually, you can trace this to a source where the color appears. No article cites a location.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Bit of a random thought: maybe blue food colouring? I used to eat blueberry jelly back in the 1980s that was exactly this hue.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Perhaps the opaqueness is connected to the colour. Mixing milk into water will make it more opaque as well as giving a light-scattering effect similar to what turns the sky blue.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
The environment agency said that they are monitoring it over the week-end and have sent a sample off for analysis.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
This is kind of my neck of the Fortean woods. To me this colour looks like a copper salt solution (maybe a copper sulphate) but I hope it's something much less hazardous!

Not so far away, near Shepton Mallet the river Sheppey was recently polluted in a separate incident which saw thousands of fish dead.

I'll update you all when the reason surfaces (no pun intended) in the local news as by then it probably won't be mentioned in the national news :)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This is kind of my neck of the Fortean woods. To me this colour looks like a copper salt solution (maybe a copper sulphate) but I hope it's something much less hazardous!

Not so far away, near Shepton Mallet the river Sheppey was recently polluted in a separate incident which saw thousands of fish dead.

I'll update you all when the reason surfaces (no pun intended) in the local news as by then it probably won't be mentioned in the national news :)
If it is a copper solution, it may have been released into the river by an electronics factory or electroplating factory.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
If it is a copper solution, it may have been released into the river by an electronics factory or electroplating factory.
Not many of those left around here - this is farming country and I'm wondering if a deliberate or accidental dumping of long-forgotten (or buried) agrichemicals might be the fellow. We had a mighty torrential rain storm about a week ago which might have flushed stuff into the river.

Not many of those left around here - this is farming country and I'm wondering if a deliberate or accidental dumping of long-forgotten (or buried) agrichemicals might be the fellow. We had a mighty torrential rain storm about a week ago which might have flushed stuff into the river.
Bloody farmers again. Or maybe just Smurfs having a wash.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
The latest from the local paper https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/environment-agency-says-found-who-3203302

'..Environment Agency has confirmed today (Monday, August 12) that its workers has found the cause of the pollution and who was responsible.

It has not made public further details about the source, saying "further action may be required".

A spokesman for Environment Agency said: "We continue to investigate why a tributary of the River Frome in Somerset turned bright blue. We now know the cause of the pollution and who was responsible. We cannot comment or share any specifics as further action may be required, and will not respond to speculation on where the pollution came from. We will work with all parties to prevent re-occurrence. There are no reports of dead or distressed wildlife or fish." '

A bit mysterious! :)

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
I asked an acid mine drainage expert about opaque blue water. It happens when there is high dissolved metals in the water, such as aluminum. The fish would not die instantly. A sudden upwards change in pH would cause the water to turn this color. A spill of caustic soda would cause localized fish kill but change the water downstream as it gets diluted.
gw200910305279757ar-jpg.jpg