• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Robert Taylor / Dechmont Woods Incident (Scotland; November 1979)

Could it be this video on youtube:

I like the part where Malcolm Robinson says he took Mr. Taylor's trousers to one of his shows, where he had them sealed in a plastic bag so that no one knew what they were. He says that a psychic woman saw the craft and spheres (when she touched the bag) that attacked Mr. Taylor.
Kind of a stretch, but there are some real psychics out there.
My British Grandmother was like that, she was very strange, and always knew things.

Last edited:
That report suggests the Dr. Who episode City of Death as having influenced the witness. lt had been shown on UK telly the previous month, and featured a race called the Jagaroth and their spacecraft:

latest

latest

18SLU58_Jagaroth-Kit.jpg

maximus otter
I remember TVs could at times have pretty rubbish reception back in the 70s. So a skeptic might propose his telly was a bit ‘on the blink’ when (if) he watched this and as a result the craft was at times translucent on the screen. It was this memory that then surfaced when he experienced a mini-stroke, saw Venus, ate the belladonna berries that had dropped onto his KitKat etc….

To my mind the similarity is that it is spherical and has a band around the middle but is it really that much alike…?

Robert Taylor does seem absolutely sincere in his belief as to what he saw and what happened to him and I don't suppose anything will ever be proved one way or another, at this remove. But I'd like to know what happened to his headaches AFTER the event, whether they improved or vanished...

Robert Taylor does seem absolutely sincere in his belief as to what he saw and what happened to him and I don't suppose anything will ever be proved one way or another, at this remove. But I'd like to know what happened to his headaches AFTER the event, whether they improved or vanished...
Good point..

it is possible this was some sort of hallucination following a stroke of some sort and the he complained of headaches underlines this. That still leaves the manner of his ‘assault’. According to Malcolm Robinson, his trousers were heavy duty work affairs and the tears in them had to be made by something strong and presumably mechanical and not by brambles, barbed wire or his dog scratching at him

Good point..

it is possible this was some sort of hallucination following a stroke of some sort and the he complained of headaches underlines this. That still leaves the manner of his ‘assault’. According to Malcolm Robinson, his trousers were heavy duty work affairs and the tears in them had to be made by something strong and presumably mechanical and not by brambles, barbed wire or his dog scratching at him

It's not a given, but you'd expect someone who'd had a (fairly serious) TIA to continue to have other similar health issues, unless treated. Without Taylor's subsequent medical history - I've not seen anything that details it and he lived to a ripe old age - I'm not completely convinced of the 'stroke' theory (particularly as the water reservoir supposedly perceived as the object doesn't really look like it to me, although it does look like a generic 'saucer').

This doesn't preclude some other kind of hallucination of course. Wasn't cornstarch found on his trousers as well as the rips? I think cornstarch is a common component of medications - not sure if that has any possible bearing.

Last edited:
Good point..

Not to forget all the physical evidence left on the ground by the craft and spheres.
Too much to just dismiss, with no rational explanation.
Always been fascinated by this case.

It's not a given, but you'd expect someone who'd had a (fairly serious) TIA to continue to have other similar health issues, unless treated. Without Taylor's subsequent medical history - I've not seen anything that details it and he lived to a ripe old age - I'm not completely convinced of the 'stroke' theory (particularly as the water reservoir supposedly perceived as the object doesn't really look like it to me, although it does look like a generic 'saucer').

This doesn't preclude some other kind of hallucination of course. Wasn't cornstarch found on his trousers as well as the rips? I think cornstarch is a common component of medications - not sure if that has any possible bearing.

From what I've read though, it is very possible to have a TIA and not even realise it, a bit like how it's possible to have a minor heart attack and not realise it either. As no-one (human anyway :p) was present with him, we have to rely on his testimony which could be distorted even if he believed it to be accurate.

Nevertheless, although the minor stroke theory is one of the better 'rational' explanations I'm not totally convinced by it either. It's been interesting reading this thread, particularly @maximus otter's points about the location of the sighting and the Dr Who episode. Overall I'm fairly convinced Bob Taylor was a sincere witness, and did not just make it up for publicity.

I agree with @Ronnie Jersey, it's a really interesting case and definitely one of my contenders for my 'What UFO event would you like to go back in time and witness' (roughly paraphrased) thread.

Back