• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Robin Hood

zarathustraspake

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've just been watching the first episode of Robin Hood: Prince of Stubble.

robin2.jpg

Hmmm, interesting. I never knew there were such expensive hair salons in 12th Century Nottinghamshire. Not to mention eyeliner and push-up bras for the local wenches.

Also, the Norman Army appear to be imperial stormtroopers.

Still, it's entertainingly camp, and I'm sure the slash fiction is being written as we speak.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood
Riding to the salon
Robin Hood, Robin Hood
To get his nails done
When Marion comes onscreen
All the guys get wood
Robin Hood, Robin Hood...

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that Robin Hoods are getting younger all the time....

Q: Was Robin Hood the original 'hoodie'? - Discuss

rynner said:
Q: Was Robin Hood the original 'hoodie'? - Discuss

Some of his outfits do look a bit like a hoodie, yes.

Teh missus has started referring to the show as "Robin Hoodie".

God, yes. That make-up. I'd forgotten that for a moment there. Bloody awful, wasn't it? There was a split second where I thought it was Billie Piper. Now the make-up was fine for Doctor Who, but 12th century England? Do me a lemon!

Robin seemed a bit wooden at times. The lines just didn't sound right. Sounded a bit forced.

And Marion's pull back on that bow was shocking. Wouldn't have been able to hit a barn door at three paces with that one!

Still, I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to next week. :lol:

Oh, and the bit where Robin Hood explains to the Sheriff that instead of the government wasting our taxes on foreign wars in the Middle East, we should concentrate on abolishing taxation....Did anyone else at that point think, "What, was the script written by Conservative Future?" :roll:

Keith Allen was awful. The camera work and editing was bloody terrible. The fights dull. Nottingham didn't have any burnt out cars.

I thought the whole thing was quite poor.

Torchwood trailer which followed straight after looked very good however.

The modern day 'political correctness' is glaringly obvious and intrusive.
I am waiting for a disabled/ lesbian merry wo-man to apper in forthcoming episodes.

ArthurASCII said:
My nine year old grandson loved it.
well, that's good to hear. Much as I disliked it, I did wonder if it would have the same effect on young audiences as the Michael Pread series had on me.

Good stuff.

God, I loved that old Michael Praed version of Robin Hood when I was a youngster. When you see it now though it's embarrassing to watch. Very poor.

mindalai said:
God, I loved that old Michael Praed version of Robin Hood when I was a youngster. When you see it now though it's embarrassing to watch. Very poor.

I saw a few re-runs of that recently. I didn't think it was all that bad, although the character of Much the Miller's Son was incredibly irritating.

They had some good storylines but the acting and production was appalling.

mindalai said:
They had some good storylines but the acting and production was appalling.
much like todays will possibly be viewed in the future by young audience (like we once were) watching it today.

ArthurASCII said:
The Robin Hood of MY youth was played by Richard Green.
Ah, yes, Richard (Lincoln) Greene!

Interesting accents they have in that clip - very 40s/50s.
(But most meejah people spoke like that then.)

Clipped accents in a video clip... the old meets the new.

zarathustraspake said:
Oh, and the bit where Robin Hood explains to the Sheriff that instead of the government wasting our taxes on foreign wars in the Middle East, we should concentrate on abolishing taxation....Did anyone else at that point think, "What, was the script written by Conservative Future?" :roll:

I thought it was ok, but, lots of arrows, swords etc but no one was killed? i hope its not going to be a pc friendly type thing where people get "knocked out" or "wounded" like the A-Team.......
Robin of Sherwood was/is excellent, Jason Connery was a bit wooden but the scripts where generally good and tended to weigh heavily on the mystical element of the legend.

kitsunegari said:
I thought it was ok, but, lots of arrows, swords etc but no one was killed? i hope its not going to be a pc friendly type thing where people get "knocked out" or "wounded" like the A-Team.......

They're employing the "Lucas Method"(TM) of fighting ;)

Mmmmmm......Michael Praed......... :D God, how I lusted after that man. Still do, in point of fact.

Much was intensely annoying. As was Maid Marion. :evil:

I expect it will get better. I hope it will. My Dad was rather incensed at the composite bow and scimitar. He likes his Robins all long-bowed up as well, apparently.

Ravenstone said:
Mmmmmm......Michael Praed......... :D God, how I lusted after that man. Still do, in point of fact.

Yeah, me too. I still would.

I thought at the time that the lady who played Maid Marion was the most beautiful woman who ever lived.

In a Woodland somewhere near you, we call him

ROBIN CHAV

My mate is dead chuffed since Robin chav has the same bow as him, made by a guy called Grojer (phonetic spelling) who is descended from the mongols.

Watch Keith Allen chew the scenery, more ham than a pork butchers, reasonably entertaining though.

Saw this. Utter shit. Screenwriters should be drug-tested, like athletes.

Hmm, can't agree there. I adored it when I was a kid but I did wonder how it would have aged. I found out 3 or 4 years ago when I spent a hungover Saturday afternoon with a friend of mine watching the DVDs. Yeah, some of the sets were a bit rubbish and the acting wasn't great, but it still rocked.

Much, much better than the current version!

My kids love it, in fact it's second only to Dr Who in their esteem, I have a sneaky feeling that folk of their age group are the target audience. ;)

Oh dear God it just keeps getting worse. Gisburne and Little John have so obviously nicked their costumes from Blake's Seven's old wardrobe. The Sheriff is dire. I swear Gisburne's wig moved tonight. And still far too much make-up. And didn't Marion's over-dress look like camoflage material? And someone was wearing a stripey t-shirt.

Quake42 said:

Hmm, can't agree there. I adored it when I was a kid but I did wonder how it would have aged. I found out 3 or 4 years ago when I spent a hungover Saturday afternoon with a friend of mine watching the DVDs. Yeah, some of the sets were a bit rubbish and the acting wasn't great, but it still rocked.

Much, much better than the current version!

Don't get me wrong. I love the old Robin of Sherwood. I've got all the books and everything. It's just that it seems so low budget now. a bit like the old Star Treks (which I also love)

I don't find Robin of Sherwood dated at all. Mind you, it does reduce me to a maudlin heap, eager to get skin-tight jeans and mullets back into fashion..... ;)

Back