• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Robins In Supermarkets

I saw a robin in Cambridge this morning while I was stuck in traffic.
It's the first I've seen in a looooong time.

Mythopoeika said:

Was it a robin reliant?

I saw a couple of robins fighting the other day. So unnecessary.

Robins are vicious buggers. Very territorial and violent. There's a little female one in my garden, which hops about near the feeders.

ramonmercado said:
Mythopoeika said:

Was it a robin reliant?

Haha, no.
Funny you should mention that, though.
When I was a teenager, I spent a lot of time working in my parent's garden. Every day while I was doing this garden work, a little robin would fly in and perch on the handle of my spade when I took a rest. He'd hop up there and cock his head at an angle, looking at me quizzically - then he'd scratch about on the ground, looking for worms and other tasties. His daily visits became so regular that I called him 'Reliant Robin'. :)

An old colleague of mine has put up a picture on fb of a robin in Sainsburys in Lincoln. It seems to be the in thing for robins this winter!

We Brits love robins -

Britain has spoken – and chosen a vicious murdering bully as its national bird

So we’ve chosen a vicious murdering bully for our national bird? It’s bad enough that we probably plumped for our self-important red-breasted friend because the Victorians sentimentalised the robin as a symbol of Christmas. Yet I suspect that the main reason it has been chosen is because it’s the one bird most people can actually recognise.

Couldn’t we have gone for something more imaginative? Where was the raven, for instance, that super-intelligent, glossy black gothic spirit of place, without which the Tower of London and the monarchy would fall? (Although that legend turns out to be another Victorian invention too, darn it).

etc

Here's a photo of a wagtail that arrives every morning at a local cafe, 'Gino's' in Fremantle, West Australia. This little fellow started visiting this specific cafe on the day after the old proprietor (Gino) died, and is considered to be his ghost, or spirit.

IMG_9143.jpg

I was in my local ASDA and walking down the fruit and veg aisle when I notice that a tray of blackberries was moving. I went over to have a look and a starling popped its head out of the berries, had a look round and then dived back into its meal.

Not in a supermarket but..

NHS worker and robin enjoy lunchtime together every day for a year

An apparently fearless robin is sending an NHS worker’s spirits soaring by meeting him for lunch every day.

He was used to taking short 20-minute breaks during his 12-hour shifts unaccompanied. But that changed when the robin decided to sit next to Richard for the whole of his break in December 2019.

‘It’s absolutely crackers! He just popped out of the bush behind me and kind of never left!’ he said.

‘I work three days a week and he comes pretty much every day for breakfast and lunch, but not always at teatime because it gets a bit dark.

He brings along bird food or dried fruit for his feathered pal – but sometimes gives him a bit of milk from his cappuccino as a treat.

Richard added: ‘I know he has a family in a tree about 20 or 30 feet away, as he sometimes picks up some food and goes away to drop it off, and then comes back to eat his own!’

‘I chatter away to him sometimes about any old stuff, but mostly we just sit and chill,’ he said.

Health worker Richard Coates and a robin hang out on bench every day for the last year outside Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary.

When i worked in a warehouse many moons ago, we had a robin that would fly in through the bay doors and have a shufty around most days :D

Not in a supermarket but..

NHS worker and robin enjoy lunchtime together every day for a year

An apparently fearless robin is sending an NHS worker’s spirits soaring by meeting him for lunch every day.

Health worker Richard Coates and a robin hang out on bench every day for the last year outside Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary.'s Royal Victoria Infirmary.
I had a little feathered friend like that back in the 80s, for at least one summer. I was removing my Mum's rockery and levelling the soil. A little robin would perch on the spade handle while I was taking a break, then he'd occasionally swoop to grab an insect.

Here's a photo of a wagtail that arrives every morning at a local cafe, 'Gino's' in Fremantle, West Australia. This little fellow started visiting this specific cafe on the day after the old proprietor (Gino) died, and is considered to be his ghost, or spirit.

View attachment 708
We have a thread on Robins as messengers from Beyond or wherever.

Back