• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Robocop

With a bit of luck any Robocop remake will sink without trace rather like the pointless remake of RollerBall a couple of years back. Despite some very 70s ideas of what the future would look like, Rollerball's still a great movie.

Mighty_Emperor said:
hokum6 said:
They're taking the piss. What a total waste of time, RoboCop is a classic. And the stop-motion rocks.

I have only one thing to say to them: Bitches, leave!

Yeah the stop-motion is still impresive and is also aprt of its charm. No one is going to sit Ray Harryhausen down and go "Look your films are good and all but we are going to redo them because we now have fancy computers."
I fear Mighty Joe Young was, unfortunately, but the first strike in a very rich seam for the originality-challenged suits in Hollywood :(.
Mighty_Emperor said:
I assume they are going to CGI Robocop so it is less of a man in a suit and is lighter and sleeker...
But the point is, he's supposed to be a man in a suit. This isn't Robot Monster*. If someone had four prosthetic limbs and was encased in titanium and kevlar, he probably would walk clunkily.

*Though Robot Monster would, I feel, be more worthy of a viewing than any remake of a classic sci-fi film. What next? Blade Runner with Steven Seagal?

Yes! To be like the hu-man! To laugh! Feel! Want! Why are these things not in the plan?

Prime Directives was certainly better than the bland TV show, but it suffered from a meandering plot and a lack of decent adversaries. There was a guy who looked like a dodgy Power Rangers villain, a bunch of rogue executives, and some really over-the-top camp guy towards the end of the series. The action scenes were rather stilted, and the acting was adequate at best. All the same, it's a reasonably enjoyable way to pass a Sunday afternoon, I think.

Robocop: Just saw the 35th anniversary re-release, Great on the cinema screen, holds up really well. Especially the satirical tv ads and news clips, which really just reflected reality at the time and even more so now with increasing privatisation of health, law enforcement, prisons. Really loved the heart transplant ad. The board meetings of. OCP were a howl. Great performances by. Peter Weller as Robocop. Nancy Allen as his partner, Dan O'Herlihy, Ronny Cox and Miguel Ferrer as OCP Executives and.clarence Boddicker as the gang leader. Brilliantly. Directed by Paul Verhoeven, with a screenplay by Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner. 9/10.

Back