• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Robot Hall Of Fame

KeyserXSoze

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://interestalert.com/brand/siteia.shtml?Story=st/sn/06190000aaa0155f.upi&Sys=siteia&Fid=LATEBRKN&Type=News&Filter=Late%20Breaking
Robots named to hall of fame

PITTSBURGH, June 19 (UPI) -- Five robots from both science fiction and technical reality will enter Carnegie Mellon University's Robot Hall of Fame in Pittsburgh this fall.

The tin-filled hall of fame will add Honda's Asimo bot, Shakey the Robot, Astroboy, C3PO and Robby the Robot.

The panel of robot lovers who selected them included sci-fi legend Arthur C. Clarke, the BBC reported Sunday.

The android superstars will officially take their place in the Robot Hall of Fame at a ceremony in October.

They will join last year's inductees, the Mars explorer Sojourner, the assembly line Unimate, Hal 9000 from "2001: A Space Odyssey," and R2-D2 from Star Wars.

"The jury discussed this year's candidates at length and has made some excellent choices," James Morris, founder of the Robot Hall of Fame, told the BBC.

"I'm happy to see some older, historically important robots like Shakey and Robby joining the newer ones like Asimo and C3PO."

Copyright 2004 by United Press International.
All rights reserved.

What, no Terminator or Gunslinger from Westworld? Looks like they are going for the cute, cuddly end of the robot spectrum

I sent a vote in for K-9, Kryten off Red Dwarf and R. Daneel Olivaw- none of them got in.

Is Metal Mickey included? He did that funny thing where his eyes would go red and dizzy. Any one remember the origins of Metal Mickey? Must search the net.

everyone calm down, and remember that the whole purpose of these list things is to get everyone all riled up and going "how about..." etc :p

Apparently Marvin was asked what he thought about not being included:

Robots? Don't talk to me about robots. Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they don't even invite me to serve the souffle..... I'm so depressed I could walk around in a circle for a million years before I even thought of something less interesting to do. But what's more depressing is I've already been walking in a circle for the past five million years.

:D

Update ...

The official Robot Hall of Fame (RHOF) website is / was at:

http://www.robothalloffame.org/index.html

The website is still up and running, but ...

It displays no news past 2012, and the last solicitation for Hall of Fame nominations is for the 2014 inductees.

The 1909 humanoid robot named "Occultus" (and subsequently nicknamed Barbarossa, due to its gingerish beard) by its Berlin-based inventor Adolph Whitman, merits a mention here.
It was allegedly capable of walking, talking, singing, whistling and laughing and was powered by several electric motors driving a multitude of cogs and belts.

robot.png

That is, if it was for real!
There has been speculation that it may have been a hoax, with a (rather diminutive and skinny) human concealed inside the robot's body à la chess-playing Turk.

https://cyberneticzoo.com/robots/1909-occultus-barbarossa-whitman-german/

Curioser and curioser!

The photo of Occultus appears in a publicity shot for an obscure 1984 German movie called Radiomensch.
I'd like to know if there are any references to Adolph Whitman, Occultus and/or Barbarossa predating 1984.
Otherwise I suspect it may have been a prop for a movie, rather than a genuine early robot.

robot1.png

Back