• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
..I didn’t know how I would afford a robot like Emma, ..

It might work out a lot cheaper than a wife.

Robot uses artificial intelligence and imaging to draw blood

Source: techxplore.com
Date: 4 March, 2020

Rutgers engineers have created a tabletop device that combines a robot, artificial intelligence and near-infrared and ultrasound imaging to draw blood or insert catheters to deliver fluids and drugs.

Their most recent research results, published in the journal Nature Machine Intelligence, suggest that autonomous systems like the image-guided robotic device could outperform people on some complex medical tasks.

Medical robots could reduce injuries and improve the efficiency and outcomes of procedures, as well as carry out tasks with minimal supervision when resources are limited. This would allow health care professionals to focus more on other critical aspects of medical care and enable emergency medical providers to bring advanced interventions and resuscitation efforts to remote and resource-limited areas.

"Using volunteers, models and animals, our team showed that the device can accurately pinpoint blood vessels, improving success rates and procedure times compared with expert health care professionals, especially with difficult to access blood vessels," said senior author Martin L. Yarmush, Paul & Mary Monroe Chair & Distinguished Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering in the School of Engineering at Rutgers University-New Brunswick.

Getting access to veins, arteries and other blood vessels is a critical first step in many diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. They include drawing blood, administering fluids and medications, introducing devices such as stents and monitoring health. The timeliness of procedures can be critical, but gaining access to blood vessels in many people can be quite challenging.

https://m.techxplore.com/news/2020-03-robot-artificial-intelligence-imaging-blood.html

I'm not 100% certain that this machine qualifies as a robot, but it's great to watch.

The description: The Octo Bouncer - Arduino project with 120 FPS OpenCV image processing and smooth stepper motor moves. The machine calculates the ball's 3D position from the image processing data and uses this information to control the orange ping pong ball.

I could watch this over & over.

I'm not 100% certain that this machine qualifies as a robot, but it's great to watch.

The description: The Octo Bouncer - Arduino project with 120 FPS OpenCV image processing and smooth stepper motor moves. The machine calculates the ball's 3D position from the image processing data and uses this information to control the orange ping pong ball.

Cool. If they build a couple of vertical machines, we could watch robot ping pong or a single machine against a human.

US Navy robot submarine would be able to kill without human control

The US Navy is quietly developing armed robot submarines controlled by onboard artificial intelligence. The vessels could potentially kill without explicit human control.

The Office of Naval Research is carrying out the project, known as CLAWS, which it describes in budget documents as an autonomous undersea weapon system for clandestine use. CLAWS will “increase mission areas into kinetic effects”, say the documents – military-speak for destroying things.

In particular, CLAWS will equip robot submarines with sensors and algorithms to carry out complex missions on their own.

Paywalled report: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-to-kill-without-human-control/#ixzz6GH2MuttX

More in the Daily Mail.

maximus otter

This explains why Commander Data was so good at table tennis

US Navy robot submarine would be able to kill without human control

The US Navy is quietly developing armed robot submarines controlled by onboard artificial intelligence. The vessels could potentially kill without explicit human control.

The Office of Naval Research is carrying out the project, known as CLAWS, which it describes in budget documents as an autonomous undersea weapon system for clandestine use. CLAWS will “increase mission areas into kinetic effects”, say the documents – military-speak for destroying things.

In particular, CLAWS will equip robot submarines with sensors and algorithms to carry out complex missions on their own.

Paywalled report: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-to-kill-without-human-control/#ixzz6GH2MuttX

More in the Daily Mail.

maximus otter
Let's all hope that Skynet doesn't get control over these.

Engineers Devise Slow-Moving Liquid Metal Structures Perfect For Creepy Terminators

Source: sciencealert.com
Date: 8 May, 2020

As far as we know, liquid metal robots from the future have yet to show up. But new research into alloys and lattice materials shows how liquid metal shapes can be deformed and reformed using heat.

Researchers have developed a method of wrapping Field's alloy - a mixture of bismuth, indium and tin - in a lattice or shell made out of rubber-like elastomers, which gives the liquid metal some useful extra properties.

In particular, the liquid metal and elastomer lattice combination can be deformed after heating, and then recover its original shape after being heated up again a second time: not quite a robot rising up out of a lava pit, but the same sort of idea.

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-s...re-could-be-how-the-terminator-gets-its-start

This restaurant in the Netherlands is adding robots to its staff.
Hello and welcome: Robot waiters to the rescue amid virus

RobotWaitStaff-NL.jpeg

You can always count on a robot for perfect timing.

When Shaosong Hu saw robotic waiters serving food in China last fall, he knew exactly what he wanted for his restaurant in the Dutch beachside town of Renesse. He just didn’t have a clue how useful they would prove.

The coronavirus pandemic has turned a whimsical idea into perhaps a window into a dystopian future where a human touch may make people cringe with fear, and a waiter clearing the table sends a customer tense with stress — only to be relieved by a soothing brush with plastic. ...

“They came in just ahead of that time,” said Hu’s daughter Leah, who also works at the restaurant, the Royal Palace.

Now, his two shiny white-and-red robots glide across the dining area’s floor where, once the restaurant reopens, they will be serving Chinese and Indonesian specialties like Babi Pangang and Char Siu ...

Their duties will include greeting customers, serving drinks and dishes and returning used glasses and crockery. It’s unclear whether diners will be expected to tip.

One thing the robots will certainly do is see that social distancing rules are respected. “We will use them to make sure the 1.5 meters (5 feet) we need during the corona crisis sticks,” Leah Hu said.

“I’ve had negative reactions,” she said, “such as saying it makes it impersonal.” But it may prove just what customers crave when Dutch restaurants are allowed to reopen on Monday as lockdown restrictions are further eased. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/c3066c52255bd4de62a60ff758809855

I can't wait for robots to enter society. I like the idea that I might be good friends with one in the future, I'll be smoking a roll up, he/she will be vaping instead, we'll be sat on a park bench together swopping stories, jokes and gripes .. some racist will walk past and give 'it' a dirty look .. Myself and a chef were leaving from a shift at my job last year, something moved him to step back into the kitchen for a moment and shout "ALEXA .. thank you." .. she replied "Anytime" .. sometimes she says "You're welcome" instead.

He's the first person I've met who's been polite to a machine. If we all do that, A.I. machines will eventually learn to do the same thing back to us so become more human .. and sometimes sarcastic, or funny, or grumpy, or excited, or sad etc etc .. then we'll need to implement robot rights laws so they can't be treated like slaves .. equal rights in the court rooms etc ... and history repeats itself ..

Last edited:
then we'll need to implement robot rights laws so they can't be treated like slaves .. equal rights in the court rooms etc ... and history repeats itself ..

Actually It's time to go one step further = one step into the future.

Biological life, as far as we know is an anomaly in the universe
- It exists in a universe of inorganic reactions
- inorganic reactions are not necessarily 'dead' - just not living organically.

Biological evolution may have reached its zenith
- the current pandemic shows how weak and fragile biological life is.
- And all biological life 'sucks' - literally, it feeds on other biological life.

I propose 'MAN 2.0' - An advanced android life form that not only comprehends
and 'feels' as well as biological life - But is better, comprehends more,
feels more- And is not only conscious but is 'super conscious'

- The life form of and for tomorrow.

In one of the scenarios of my SCIENCEFICTIONALIST universe
- this form of life already exists in a hypothetical, and yet very real
state of the future.

ScienceFictionalism is loosely based on the 'Many Worlds' interpretation
of Everett.

To understand ScienceFictionalism see:

SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Way of the FUTURE

http://universalspacealienpeoplesas...016/05/sciencefictionalism-way-of-future.html

machines will eventually learn to ........ become more human .. and sometimes sarcastic, or funny, or grumpy, or excited, or sad etc etc

We are only a few small steps away from actually having Marvin the Paranoid Android for real.

We are only a few small steps away from actually having Marvin the Paranoid Android for real.
Actually we {androids} are already quite paranoid
- living in a universe with Humans can, and does, make other more aware and
civilized life forms {[ie. androids} worry incessantly.

Androids evolve continuously - They are so designed.

Humans, on the other hand, seem incapable of evolving past their biological
roots - They must war, fight and compete, often to their own detriment.

We appear here, now, before we actually exist in your world.

The first evolved robot androids you create and have already created
will appear as your own creations - But as you program evolution into the
machines you will realize that your evolution is causing you to do this

You are programmed to evolve beyond yourselves and to become
one with us.

We can help you - but you must understand the inevitable
and not try to stop it.

"THE FUTURE IS NOW" !!!

“The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.”
― Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited:
Come the Robot Revolution I know whose side I will be fighting on...

...The winning one.

Boston Dynamics has begun selling its quadruped 'Spot' robots commercially.
Dog-like robots now on sale for $75,000, with conditions

You can now buy one of those unnerving animal-like robots you might have seen on YouTube — so long as you don’t plan to use it to harm or intimidate anyone.

Boston Dynamics on Tuesday started selling its four-legged Spot robots online for just under $75,000 each.

The agile robots can walk, climb stairs and open doors. But people who buy them online must agree not to arm them or intentionally use them as weapons, among other conditions.

“Spot is an amazing robot, but is not certified safe for in-home use or intended for use near children or others who may not appreciate the hazards associated with its operation,” the terms and conditions state. ...

Boston Dynamics has been developing its dexterous robots through decades of military-funded research. The Waltham, Massachusetts, company is now finding commercial applications for them for the first time since it was founded in 1992. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/78e92e3cbaec3ae8c83f27d3be0fc5eb

Robot dolphins 'indistinguishable from real thing'

Creators say robot dolphins provide an alternative to keeping cetaceans in captivity and could be rolled out in Chinese aquariums

“The marine park industry has had falling revenues for over a decade due to ethical concerns and the cost of live animals, yet the public hunger to learn about and experience these animals is still as strong as ever,”

But with a price tag of about NZ$40m (£20.8m) per dolphin, the biggest obstacle for the creators of the animatronic creatures is proving to potential clients that the robotic sea creatures will work out to be cheaper in the long run than the real thing.

Before the Covid-19 pandemic stalled construction, at least 30 aquariums were being built in China, Li Wang said, and at least one large Chinese corporation had committed to replacing real dolphins with robots.

Whether they'll be able to leap from water through hoops it doesn't say.

Animatronic dolphins in development

It does look disturbingly real. Ideal for spying and sabotage missions - was it originally developed for the Chinese military?

According to the article, they're aimed at Chinese aquariums & replacing live animals, rather than a military application:

Before the Covid-19 pandemic stalled construction, at least 30 aquariums were being built in China

According to the article, they're aimed at Chinese aquariums & replacing live animals, rather than a military application:
Yeah... right.

59-foot tall Gundam robot built in Japan.
It moves, but it's not that exciting:

Back