• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Panasonic's made a robot with a knitted cover that's described as like a cat and can fart .. for reasons best explained in this link ..

NICOBO by panasonic is a cat-like robot that can fart (designboom.com)
It doesnt really explain why it is made to fart (surely the worst part of any pet, youu'll know if you've ever smelt a cat or dog fart) and it explains the farts are to expel excess air from inside it, what does it do with the air that is not excess, why did they make it take in air at all lol

It doesnt really explain why it is made to fart (surely the worst part of any pet, youu'll know if you've ever smelt a cat or dog fart) and it explains the farts are to expel excess air from inside it, what does it do with the air that is not excess, why did they make it take in air at all lol
Perhaps it's to make it more relatable to humans? .. I doubt it smells? .. who even knows anymore? ..

Are U.S. Special Forces Quietly Using Armed Robots?

"There is a taboo about putting weapons on robots. When Dallas police killed a sniper using an improvised bomb on a robot in 2016, there was a national outcry, and the tactic has not been repeated. The same caution has long applied in the U.S. military, and any suggestion that robots will get weapons still draws a strong reaction. But Special Forces may have quietly broken this longstanding taboo.

iu

The U.S. Army has been deploying remote-controlled weapons by the thousand. The Commonly Remotely Operated Weapon Station (CROWS) in an unmanned turret which enables an operator inside a vehicle to find and engage targets with a machinegun from under armor.

iu

CROWS

It seems Special Forces had an urgent need for an armed robot and bypassed the existing Army projects. An R&D budget document from the Office of the Secretary of Defense reveals that Special Operation Command developed a Lightweight Remote Weapons System (LRWS), a miniature version of the CROWS turret.

“LRWS transitioned to U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) for immediate force protection of SOF operators while conducting the operational evaluation of the prototype units and will subsequently be available to all operators within the USSOCOM.” (My emphasis).

This suggests that Special Forces acquired the new remote weapon systems and are using them on unmanned vehicles for Force Protection, such as guarding a base perimeter."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidh...us-special-forces-quietly-using-armed-robots/

maximus otter

Are U.S. Special Forces Quietly Using Armed Robots?

"There is a taboo about putting weapons on robots. When Dallas police killed a sniper using an improvised bomb on a robot in 2016, there was a national outcry, and the tactic has not been repeated. The same caution has long applied in the U.S. military, and any suggestion that robots will get weapons still draws a strong reaction. But Special Forces may have quietly broken this longstanding taboo.

iu

The U.S. Army has been deploying remote-controlled weapons by the thousand. The Commonly Remotely Operated Weapon Station (CROWS) in an unmanned turret which enables an operator inside a vehicle to find and engage targets with a machinegun from under armor.

iu

CROWS

It seems Special Forces had an urgent need for an armed robot and bypassed the existing Army projects. An R&D budget document from the Office of the Secretary of Defense reveals that Special Operation Command developed a Lightweight Remote Weapons System (LRWS), a miniature version of the CROWS turret.

“LRWS transitioned to U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) for immediate force protection of SOF operators while conducting the operational evaluation of the prototype units and will subsequently be available to all operators within the USSOCOM.” (My emphasis).

This suggests that Special Forces acquired the new remote weapon systems and are using them on unmanned vehicles for Force Protection, such as guarding a base perimeter."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidh...us-special-forces-quietly-using-armed-robots/

maximus otter
Most of the targeting and weapons control on the apache attack helicopters can operate independant of human control, selecting and eliminating the most dangerous targets first before moving on to the next most dangerous, the useof unmanned armed drones is huge aswell, and by all accounts they are robots, albeit remote controlled.

Sex robot manufacturer Lux Botics claims it can produce a robotic replica of a deceased loved one and it's working on the ability to make this clone-bot ambulatory.
Sex robot 'clones' of dead partners created with 3D scans 'could walk in near future'

A sex robot company is offering clones that can replace dead partners using groundbreaking 3D scans, the Daily Star can reveal.

Manufacturer Lux Botics says it produces “ultra-realistic humanoids” and advertises a flagship model called Stephanie.

She comes with speech control, a facial recognition function, and artificial intelligence capabilities.

However, customers who want a more familiar companion are able to recreate loved ones.

Initially, a 3D model would be created using sophisticated scans before being printed out in a “very fine resolution”.

Lux Botics can also collect photos of the individual, but the end product would not be as realistic. ...

A mould would be constructed from the 3D model, with a robotic skeleton placed inside.

The robot would be painted and fitted with lips, nails, eyebrows and all other required features.

The artists involved are expected to charge $5,000 [£3,640]-$10,000 [£7,280] for one scan, while the printing would cost $3,000 [£2,184]-$5,000. The mould would set customers back an additional $5,000. ...

Lux Botics co-founder Bjorn told the Daily Star: “We can make robots that talk but we have not made robots that truly walk on their own.

“We hope to develop this in the near future. We can make a large number of body parts that can move in a realistic manner.”

He added: “We have so far not made any body doubles but we do offer this choice for customers.” ...

FULL STORY: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/sex-robot-clones-dead-partners-23797892
(Arguably NSFW imagery at the link.)

I can see a problem here........there might be an instance whereby the 'ambulatory sex clone' is made before the death of the lover......

Also, what if the 'ambulatory sex clone' is made too much like the original?
I mean, have they not seen 'Mudds Women'?????

That's nightmare fuel, no doubt about it.

Sex robot manufacturer Lux Botics claims it can produce a robotic replica of a deceased loved one and it's working on the ability to make this clone-bot ambulatory.

FULL STORY: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/sex-robot-clones-dead-partners-23797892
(Arguably NSFW imagery at the link.)
Reminds one of the Black Mirror episode, 'Be Right Back'.

Might have been posted here before, but I do love this version of Boston Dynamic's robot:

Treat 'em like animals.

PIGS, RATS, AND locusts have it easy these days—they can bother whoever they want.

But back in the Middle Ages, such behavior could have landed them in court. If a pig bit a child, town officials would hold a trial like they would for a person, even providing the offender with a lawyer. Getting insects to show up in court en masse was a bit more difficult, but the authorities tried anyway: They’d send someone out to yell the summons into the countryside.

That’s hilarious, yes, but also a hint at how humans might navigate a new, even more complicated relationship. Just as we can’t help but ascribe agency to animals, we also project intent, emotions, and expectations onto robots. “It has always struck me that we're constantly comparing robots to humans, and artificial intelligence to human intelligence, and I've just never found that to be the best analogy,” says MIT robotics ethicist Kate Darling, author of the upcoming book The New Breed: What Our History with Animals Reveals about Our Future With Robots. “I've always found that animals are such a great analogy to get people away from this human comparison. We understand that animals are also these autonomous beings that can sense, think, make decisions, learn. You see a more diverse range of skill and intelligence in the animal world.” ...

https://www.wired.com/story/want-to-get-along-with-robots-pretend-theyre-animals/

I expect that at some point in the future there will be a sentient robot of some sort which commits a crime and has to be tried in a regular court.
This puts me in mind of 'I Robot', 'Bicentennial Man' and the Star Trek TNG episode in which Data has to defend his right to existence and that of his 'daughter' that he created.
There are probably other examples.

Treat 'em like animals.

PIGS, RATS, AND locusts have it easy these days—they can bother whoever they want.

But back in the Middle Ages, such behavior could have landed them in court. If a pig bit a child, town officials would hold a trial like they would for a person, even providing the offender with a lawyer. Getting insects to show up in court en masse was a bit more difficult, but the authorities tried anyway: They’d send someone out to yell the summons into the countryside.

That’s hilarious, yes, but also a hint at how humans might navigate a new, even more complicated relationship. Just as we can’t help but ascribe agency to animals, we also project intent, emotions, and expectations onto robots. “It has always struck me that we're constantly comparing robots to humans, and artificial intelligence to human intelligence, and I've just never found that to be the best analogy,” says MIT robotics ethicist Kate Darling, author of the upcoming book The New Breed: What Our History with Animals Reveals about Our Future With Robots. “I've always found that animals are such a great analogy to get people away from this human comparison. We understand that animals are also these autonomous beings that can sense, think, make decisions, learn. You see a more diverse range of skill and intelligence in the animal world.” ...

https://www.wired.com/story/want-to-get-along-with-robots-pretend-theyre-animals/
Just out of curiosity, is there a record of how many of these animal/insects actually won their court cases, my guess would be zero, rendering the whole thing a 'kangeroo court', pun intended.

Air Force base deploys pack of robot dogs

Last month, Tyndall Air Force Base received a shipment of the robodogs, which are officially known by the typical military mouthful term Quad-legged Unmanned Ground Vehicles, or Q-UGVs. The 325th Security Forces Squadron is using the semi-autonomous machines as an added layer of protection on base, according to the Air Force.

USAF_robot_dog_1.jpg

Sunny, a military working dog with the 325th Security Forces Squadron, sits next to a Quad-legged Unmanned Ground Vehicle at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, March 24, 2021. (U.S. Air Force photo)

The robot dogs have 14 sensors that give them a 360-degree view and can navigate on difficult terrain by crouching to lower their center of gravity and also stepping high to climb over obstacles, the Air Force said.

Philadelphia-based Ghost Robotics designed the model the Air Force is using.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/air-force-base-deploys-pack-of-robot-dogs-to-enhance-security

maximus otter

New York mayor calls off ‘creepy, alienating’ police robo-dog
  • ‘Digidog’ to be returned to creator Boston Dynamics
  • Ocasio-Cortez praises activists who fought its deployment

Edward Helmore in New York
Fri 30 Apr 2021 15.46 BST

New York’s Mayor Bill de Blasio has ordered a controversial robotic dog undergoing trials with the city’s police off the street, and a $94,200 contract with creator Boston Dynamics cancelled.
The robot canine, named “Digidog”, is to be returned to its manufacturer following outrage tied to calls to cut police funding and law enforcement access to military-developed or surplus hardware.

De Blasio voiced that he is “glad the Digidog was put down”. A city government spokesperson added: “It’s creepy, alienating, and sends the wrong message to New Yorkers.”
etc

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/30/new-york-mayor-creepy-police-robo-dog

Air Force base deploys pack of robot dogs

That looks like asking to be burgled to me

I took delivery of two of the Boston "dogs" last week - we will mainly be using them for "promotional" purposes - we are developing fully digital factories and have much larger automated kit as well though.
Herer's one in it's flight case -
IMu0WiS.jpg

Meanwhile in Libya - https://www.cnet.com/news/autonomous-drone-attacked-soldiers-in-libya-all-on-its-own/

Edit just noticed you can see part of the username and password in the pic above - that's re-assuring they ship with a default user of "Admin".....

They're $75k apiece. Wow.

Think ours were around £50k each - we didn't get the arm attachment for them (at least yet). Being a research centre of a University we do get education discounts and a lot of companies are partners, so we get lots of neat stuff to play with and develop as well.

Well, they expect me to fix them when they break or "misbehave" - I leave research to the "boffins" :)
edit - and yes "fix" more often than not means knowing where to hit it a thump:comphit:

Back