• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rock & Roll Myths

One on the radio tonight: The Beatles song "And Your Bird Can Sing" is actually John Lennon criticising Mick Jagger for getting too big for his boots, the "bird" being a reference to Marianne Faithfull who was recording his music at the time.

gncxx said:
One on the radio tonight: The Beatles song "And Your Bird Can Sing" is actually John Lennon criticising Mick Jagger for getting too big for his boots, the "bird" being a reference to Marianne Faithfull who was recording his music at the time.
:?

So is that a myth, or not?

(I like the Beatles, Stones, and MF, FWIW! :D )

rynner said:

I don't really know, it sounds like a bad pun, and as we all know, Lennon never descended to slagging people off in his songs, did he?

Lennon dissected his catalogue of songs more than once (most notably to Playboy in 1980) and I don't recall that explanation being forwarded - doesn't mean to say that it wasn't ever in his mind, though... ;)

Rrose_Selavy said:
This is a curious one. Ms Torry seems an elusive figure . There is only ever the same pic of her - on the web and they couldn't find any other pics or interview her for a recent programme on the making of "Dark Side" .

Hmmm, strange. In fact, I would go as far as to say it's a Miss Tory!!

:oops: sorry :oops:

gncxx said:
rynner said:

I don't really know, it sounds like a bad pun, and as we all know, Lennon never descended to slagging people off in his songs, did he?

Not sure if you are being sarcastic there mate but Lennon was as good as the East coast Vs West coast rappers at ripping into each other on record.

For example

How Do You Sleep?
John Lennon

So Sgt. Pepper took you by surprise
You better see right through that mother's eyes
Those freaks was right when they said you was dead
The one mistake you made was in your head
Ah, how do you sleep?
Ah, how do you sleep at night?

You live with straights who tell you you was king
Jump when your momma tell you anything
The only thing you done was yesterday
And since you're gone you're just another day
Ah, how do you sleep?

Ah, how do you sleep?

A pretty face may last a year or two
But pretty soon they'll see what you can do
The sound you make is muzak to my ears
You must have learned something in all those years
Ah, how do you sleep?

gncxx said:
If anyone has seen any footage of Marianne Faithfull singing, from back in the Sixties, they'll know that:

a. she was bleedin' GORGEOUS!

and:

b. she really could sing.

Which is more than could be said for Yoko.

So if it's true then perhaps John was just jealous?

Back in 67/68 Mick and Marianne were like the fairy King and Queen of the Summer of Lurv.

jaggerart.jpg

triplesod said:
Not sure if you are being sarcastic there mate but Lennon was as good as the East coast Vs West coast rappers at ripping into each other on record.

Yes, I was exercising the lowest form of wit.

Talking of Marianne myths, she really did live on a wall for a time, that one's true.

Still find it ironic that they used "Satisfaction" to advertise Snickers bars...

Pietro_Mercurios said:
WhistlingJack said:
..and it wasn't a Mars bar but a Curly Wurly... ;)
That would have been an anachronism.

The alleged Mars Bar incident is alleged to have taken place in 1967 and the Curly Wurly wasn't launched until 1970!

My mistake :oops: I confused it with the Cadbury's Fudge, officer... ;)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
WhistlingJack said:
..and it wasn't a Mars bar but a Curly Wurly... ;)
That would have been an anachronism.

The alleged Mars Bar incident is alleged to have taken place in 1967 and the Curly Wurly wasn't launched until 1970!
http://www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/about_chocolate/cadbury_milestones/1950_1999/1970/

And, according to Snopes.Com the Mars Bar myth is false!
http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/marsbar.htm

;)

I read an interview with Marianne Faithfull in Q magazine a few years back , and she insisted herself that the Mars Bar story was a load of nonsense.

johnnyboy1968 said:
GNC said:
Just remembered another Iggy Pop one - anyone know if there's any truth in it? After Jim Morrison's death, the remaining Doors were considering bringing in another singer (Van Morrison was another one they thought about, apparently). Iggy turned up for his audition clad only in a pair of stinking leather trousers which he evidently hadn't removed for weeks, was crawling with lice, and freaked out the Doors by insisting that they refer to him as "Jim" (his real name, but they weren't to know that.) No wonder they never got round to a new singer until a few years ago!

Danny Sugarman recounts that tale in No One Here Gets Out Alive , but Iggy Pop denies it (or probably cant remember it) . Iggy would have been an amazing replacement for Morrison at the time. Can't help but notice that old Iggy has cropped up a few times in this thread. One myth about him was that he got out of being sent to Vietnam when he turned up at the army base stark bollock naked (with a stiffy) , and said he was gay .

Is it true that one of the Bangles used to be a man? Dunno which one, but not Susanna, surely?

I think that could be false, possibly came about as one of the members is called 'Michael'. A stage name as it happens.

When I was a first-year undergraduate, a guy who lived in the dorm room next to mine was the son of a doctor -- a doctor who specialized in helping people stop taking drugs. The guy said that Keith Richards lived in his house with his family for some months in the mid/late 1970s while his father was treating Keef for heroin addiction.

In any case, Mr Richards was doing well after a few months, so he was allowed to go away for a weekend. When he came back, the doctor gave him a blood test to test if he had taken drugs over the weekend. Mr Richards had done something to try to pass the test by artificial means -- my neighbor said it was a blood transfusion. His father the doctor ceased treating him and told him to leave.

The guy who told me the story was a trustworthy person. Also, an article in High Times once told the story of this guy's father treating Eric Clapton (successfully) and Keith Richards (not successfully), but was vague about why treatment was ended (I'm not sure if High Times is the most reliable source, but the article seemed reasonably trustworthy). I believe the guy's story about his father treating Mr Richards, although I can't be 100% sure that my memory of what he told me is 100% accurate.

Could this event have anything to do with the legend about Mr Richards and his transfusions?

Would a person even be able to have a blood transfusion so casually and just go about his or her business as if nothing had happened?

Is the Mike Patton you all were talking about the Mike Patton who was in Mr Bungle and Faith No More?

In reference to the discussions of Iggy Pop auditioning for the Doors:

I read that a British guy called Kevin Coyne actually turned down the job of being Jim Morrison's replacement in that band. (This was mentioned in Jon Langford's farewell to Mr Coyne (i.e., his obituary) in the magazine Mojo.)

Mr Coyne released his first record as part of the band Siren in 1969, and from the early 1970s until his death last year (or the year before that -- 2005 or 2004) he quite a few solo albums, most of which sold very poorly. (I'd never heard of him until Jon Langford and he made a record together in 2004 or so.)

I've seen it reported that you were considered as a replacement for Jim Morrison in the Doors, right after he died.

The fact of the matter is, it's true really, in the sense that I was...the day after Jim Morrison was dead, I got a call from the manager of Elektra in Europe, at the time a guy called Clive Selwood. [He] asked me, would I come around to the office in London, which was not so far because I was living in London anyway, and talk about this...it was an idea. I have to say I didn't show too much enthusiasm, and nothing more was heard about it. Maybe I should have shown more enthusiasm, maybe I would have got the job, I don't know. But certainly the fact that the early Siren things came out on Elektra [the Doors' label] was a connection. All I know is that nothing more was heard of it after not showing a great deal of interest. Probably [they] thought I was an ungrateful swine or something. But I really didn't fancy it anyway.

http://www.richieunterberger.com/coyne.html

Talking of the Rolling Stones, during the murder at Altamont they were, urban legend has it, playing "Sympathy for the Devil" and it was Satan himself who brought about the tragedy that made Mick Jagger swear off any further dealings with Beelzebub. But I think they were playing "Under My Thumb" at the time of the killing and the mess had more to do with bad crowd control?

They also had the local Hell's Angels doing security, which might not have been the brightest idea, looking back.

The story goes that the Stones had had the British Hell's Angels as security at the peaceful Hyde Park free concert, so thought the American bikers would be just as good. Oh dear.

Really? I can see where they went wrong then. :lol:

According to popular rumour the Last song Buddy Holly sang on stage before his ill faited flight was "That'll be the day".

Seems a bit convenient to me for it not to just be a UL but then stranger things have happened, could anyone confirm or deny the rumour? (a list of the songs played in Clearlake wight be handy)

chorus
Well that'll be the day
when you say goodbye,
yes, that'll be the day,
when you make me cry,
you say you're gonna leave,
you know it's a lie 'cause,
that'll be the day when I die

verse 1
well, you give me all your lovin' and your turtle dovin',
all your hugs and kisses and your money too;
well, you know you love me, baby,
still you tell me, maybe,
that some day, well, i'll be through!

chorus
well, that'll be the day
when you say good bye,
yes, that'll be the day,
when you make me cry,
you know its a lie,
'cause that'll be the day when i die.

Instumental

chorus
well, that'll be the day
when you say good bye,
yes, that'll be the day,
when you make me cry,
you know its a lie,
well

verse 2
when cupid shot his dart,
he shot it at your heart,
so if we ever part then i leave you,
you say you told me an' you told me boldly,
that some day, well, i'll be through,

chorus
well, that'll be the day
when you say good bye,
yes, that'll be the day,
when you make me cry,
ah, you say you're gonna leave,
you know its a lie,

well that'll be the day (whoo oh)
well that'll be the day

gncxx said:
Talking of the Rolling Stones, during the murder at Altamont they were, urban legend has it, playing "Sympathy for the Devil" and it was Satan himself who brought about the tragedy that made Mick Jagger swear off any further dealings with Beelzebub. But I think they were playing "Under My Thumb" at the time of the killing and the mess had more to do with bad crowd control?

Well the film "Gimme Shelter" is on next Monday BBc4 10.30 so we'll be able to check that one out - - saw it ages ago -IIRC it starts with heavy handed "crowd control" involving Jefferson Airplane onstage - expresses a real sense of forboding as the events start to turn nasty - compelling -

-

I've got a copy of Gimme Shalter. You don't actually see the killing take place though , bit you do see some scary looking Hells Angels . I've always been led to believe that it happened during Under My Thumb.

gerardwilkie said:
I've got a copy of Gimme Shalter. You don't actually see the killing take place though , bit you do see some scary looking Hells Angels . I've always been led to believe that it happened during Under My Thumb.

Isn't there a point near the end where Jagger et al are shown the rushes of the filming and they see the point at which the stabbing takes place? although blurred someone is spotted with the knife. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks -

hillbilly_cat said:
Is the Mike Patton you all were talking about the Mike Patton who was in Mr Bungle and Faith No More?

Yes. The very same.

Back