Rock & Roll Myths

genex17

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Given a choice between having a painful and unnecessary surgical procedure, or dating Dita von Teese:

... I think I'd be inclined to outsource my throat yoghurt disposal.

maximus otter

There's an old trade school saying my instructor brought up when anyone suggested a unnecessary modification to some very expensive machinery:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Last edited:

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
i have heard that various people did not have their instruments plugged in for live performances (sid vicious, richey edwards).

John Deacon can be seen at Live Aid and on Queen's 84 and 86 tours singing backing vocals, but the sound engineers were apparently told to make sure his mike was kept turned off.

There is a YT clip of on occasion when his mike stayed on...

I don't think he's a bad singer, but his voice definitely didn't fit in with the harmonies of the other three.

Also, you know that tambourine that Stevie Nicks was always playing? It has been said that a roadie would tape the zills together to muffle the noise as Ms Nicks' sense of rhythm was not quite perfect...

I do recall hearing of Motley Crue touring with Ozzy Ozbourne. At one point Ozzy dared of the Crue members to go outside and have a pee in front of an old lady stood at a bus stop. Mortified, but not wanting to be outdone by Ozzy he proceeded to do so. Ozzy was a bit miffed that he had actually gone through with it. So he ran outside and started drinking it!

I have head an interview with someone from Motley Crue where they described what happened - they hadn't met Ozzy yet and Nikki Sixx desperately wanted to impress him, so decided to urinate on the floor of his hotel room when Ozzy entered then lick it up.

Ozzy arrives, Sixx passes water, but before he can get the chance to bend down, Ozzy himself drops to the floor at licks it up.

I think this was the same tour where, lying next to an outdoor swimming pool, Ozzy spotted a line of ants walking in single file, and snorted them up his nose.

GG-Alllin, heroin addict, punk rocker, scooped up his own crap off the stage and into his mouth so he could spit it at his audience, sometimes physically assaulted his audience, both male and female .. usually performed nude..
[/QUOTE]

I saw a clip of GG Allin once where he had self-harmed and done a jobby onstage, and somehow got said jobby smeared all over his naked, tattooed body. A riot broke out in the club and Mr Allin ran out the fire escape into the street, and tried to stop a taxi. Strangely enough, no taxis seemed willing to stop for the shaven headed, tattooed, heavily bleeding, excrement smeared gentleman.

Last edited:

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Given a choice between having a painful and unnecessary surgical procedure, or dating Dita von Teese:

SIL_Dita_Daytime_Glamour2_1024x1024.jpg

... I think I'd be inclined to outsource my throat yoghurt disposal.

maximus otter
Classy of you.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I saw a clip of GG Allin once where he had self-harmed and done a jobby onstage, and somehow got said jobby smeared all over his naked, tattooed body. A riot broke out in the club and Mr Allin ran out the fire escape into the street, and tried to stop a taxi. Strangely enough, no taxis seemed willing to stop for the shaven headed, tattooed, heavily bleeding, excrement smeared gentleman.
I'm amazed he's no longer with us.

Oh wait, no I'm not.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
New evidence suggests that Richey Edwards staged his disappearance
The new evidence includes previously unreported sightings of Edwards, alongside a long-held fascination with disappearance that he apparently enjoyed since his school days. The book also details an important meeting between Edwards and a woman at Cardiff’s Whitchurch Hospital, who later moved to Israel.

“By coincidence, the link came up again when co-author Leon went for a haircut in Cardiff and started talking about Richey”, WalesOnline reports.

“The lady cutting his hair said ‘he’s actually living in a kibbutz in Israel, everybody knows’,” Sara says. “As you can imagine it took him aback.

“We gave this theory no particular credence until Rachel raised the same idea – yes Richey had been going on about heading to that part of the world just before he vanished.”
https://www.nme.com/news/music/new-...ged-disappearance-2438975#9Pbgmw59wAJCcmGC.99

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I'll take that with a pinch of salt, there were fewer surveillance cameras around back then, but how would Richey have made it all that way with nobody recognising him, especially when the news was full of the report of his disappearance? He wasn't exactly the most well-balanced individual, and seemed to romanticise his depression, so what better conclusion in his mind than ending it all dramatically?

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I will add a pinch of salt too.
Whilst there are some workers on Kibbutzes from Thailand, permanent residents from Europe are heavily vetted.
To become a member of the Kibbutz you have to be voted on by the residents' committee, who are notoriously fussy.
Especially about people with known mental health issues.
Also if Edwards was not Jewish, he would have had only a temporary residence permit, and would not be eligible for full citizenship.

If Edwards was Jewish, or even had one Jewish grandparent, then applying for citizenship would be possible.
It is a lengthy process, can take six months, and involves a significant amount of verification of family background and health.
He would need to have references from people who knew him i.e Rabbi/Doctor etc so they would have been aware in advance that he was planning to go to Israel, where he would receive his Israeli ID card and passport.

Too many people would have been involved in this process and the production of these documents for it to have gone unremarked on, unless he was somehow involved in the world of espionage.

XBergMann

Fear not, I mean no harm to your planet
Reaction score
This is a curious one. Ms Torry seems an elusive figure . There is only ever the same pic of her - on the web and they couldn't find any other pics or interview her for a recent programme on the making of "Dark Side" .

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0407082.html

Not that elusive she even got Robin Gibb to produce one of her singles in 1969 and there are plenty of pics of her with RG on its release

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
I know they were almost certainly not being serious, but Freddie Mercury and Rod Stewart both separately claimed that in the mid-80s they were going to form a band with Elton John called Hair, Nose and Teeth, but they couldn't agree on what order the words should be in.

I really want that to be true.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I know they were almost certainly not being serious, but Freddie Mercury and Rod Stewart both separately claimed that in the mid-80s they were going to form a band with Elton John called Hair, Nose and Teeth, but they couldn't agree on what order the words should be in. ... .

Rod Stewart mentioned this in his 2012 autobiography, and the story emerged again in January 2019 based on comments by Austrian filmmaker Rudi Dolezal (who filmed Mercury quite often).

https://nypost.com/2019/01/17/fredd...-and-rod-stewart-wanted-to-form-a-supergroup/
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/freddie-mercury-elton-john-rod-stewart-supergroup/
https://www.nme.com/news/music/elto...-once-considered-forming-a-supergroup-2434833

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Rod Stewart mentioned this in his 2012 autobiography, and the story emerged again in January 2019 based on comments by Austrian filmmaker Rudi Dolezal (who filmed Mercury quite often).

https://nypost.com/2019/01/17/fredd...-and-rod-stewart-wanted-to-form-a-supergroup/
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/freddie-mercury-elton-john-rod-stewart-supergroup/
https://www.nme.com/news/music/elto...-once-considered-forming-a-supergroup-2434833

It's not the fact that they talked about their supergroup that I love, it's that the reason Mercury gave in an interview (that I have tucked away somewhere) for it not going ahead is that they each wanted their own anatomical feature to be first in the group's name! I suspect they weren't 100% serious about any of it though!

https://www.dvhn.nl/extra/27-Freddi...html?harvest_referrer=https://www.google.com/

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I know they were almost certainly not being serious, but Freddie Mercury and Rod Stewart both separately claimed that in the mid-80s they were going to form a band with Elton John called Hair, Nose and Teeth, but they couldn't agree on what order the words should be in.

I really want that to be true.

I seem to remember that being said by Elton John on a TV chat show.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I see in the paper recently that the story about The Scorpions' biggest hit Wind of Change has re-emerged. Supposedly it was written for them by the CIA to capitalise on the fall of the Berlin Wall/The Soviet Union and give the USA a cultural advantage. Anyway, the lead singer says that is nonsense, but I doubt that'll stop the CTs.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Did a search to see if this had been mentioned and this thread came up.
A highly amusing description of Gram Parson's ... er ... post-decease shenanigans, from the You Tube channel "Ask a Mortician".

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Did a search to see if this had been mentioned and this thread came up.
A highly amusing description of Gram Parson's ... er ... post-decease shenanigans, from the You Tube channel "Ask a Mortician".
I remember that happening.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
So far as I know, although Halford was quite obviously gay, his sexuality was considered an "open secret" for years. That is to say, he only 'officially' and publically announced that he was gay in about the mid 1990s. Roddy has been out for most of his career, eg, since the mid 1980s.
I remember when Rob Halford came out. I was in a mate's house with some fellow metal-enthusiast friends, listening to music and someone said that Halford had come out as gay.

Everyone said pretty much the same thing: that we had all just assumed he was gay all along.

The metal community just collectively said "oh" and moved on. No-one was particularly bothered. Heavy-mettalurgists tended to be much more tolerant of difference than most sub-cultures back then and I'm happy to say it seems to be the same now.

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
It helps that wearing chains, studs, leather (or of course, faux leather for our vegetarians), and/or spandex is totally normal, mind

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Metallers, as a rule, don't care about sexuality as long as you aren't sanctimonious about it and, above all, you rock.

The various music tribes of my youth, goth, punks, hippies, ravers, metallers, etc didn't give a shit about sexuality really. Although LGBT was nowhere near as common as it is now, it was never an issue.

The common theme for us was getting off our heads and listening to music.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I remember when Rob Halford came out. I was in a mate's house with some fellow metal-enthusiast friends, listening to music and someone said that Halford had come out as gay.

Everyone said pretty much the same thing: that we had all just assumed he was gay all along.

The metal community just collectively said "oh" and moved on. No-one was particularly bothered. Heavy-mettalurgists tended to be much more tolerant of difference than most sub-cultures back then and I'm happy to say it seems to be the same now.
We saw that TV documentary about Judas Priest where he described going to San Francisco and buying up piles of strappy leatherwear, biker caps, studded wristbands etc for that macho metal onstage look and starting the fashion for it among fans. :evillaugh:

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
One enduring myth is that Neil Young and Lynyrd Skynrd forever hated each other, due to their respective songs “Southern Man”, “Alabama” and "Sweet Home Alabama".

The truth is that Neil Young regretted his blanket condemnation of people from the South and admitted "I richly deserved the shot Lynyrd Skynyrd gave me with their great record. I don't like my words when I listen to it. They are accusatory and condescending, not fully thought out, and too easy to misconstrue.”

Neil Young and Ronnie Van Zant became firm friends and were even planning musical collaborations together before Van Zant's tragic death in the 1977 air crash.

Here's Neil Young wearing a Skynrd t-shirt:

neil.JPG

... and Ronnie Van Zant with a Neil Young T-shirt:

van.JPG

The myth of the continuing hatred still gets reported in the music media though - I last heard it mentioned on Planet Rock radio last year.