• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rock & Roll Myths

One of my favourite Ozzy stories was the time when police opened the boot of his car/van/whatever at an airport to find a dwarf inside. Ozzy was told off for this then replied "Fuck off .. he's my dwarf!" .. the dwarf added "Yeah, fuck off .. I'm his dwarf!" .. I'm Aston born myself, my Mum told me Ozzy was only a couple of streets away from us but I don't remember ever seeing him. Is he back with Sharon yet?.

Hope not.

The list of people she has fallen out within the rock world is long enough to prove she is problematic. It's impressive to have become so unpopular when your husband is literally venerated by the community (who is more personally popular and admired in hard rock and metal circles: Dio is gone, Jimmy Page? Halford? Probably not quite). Merely being married to (and possibly 'saving') Ozzy has afforded her a large amount of goodwill that she has succeeded in squandering over the years. I feel a tinge of guilt just typing that on an anonymous message board as
Ozzy is such a transparently genuine chap and it would grieve him to hear such an opinion.

And anyone who manages to piss Bruce Dickinson off must be unpleasant.

Last edited:
And anyone who manages to piss Bruce Dickinson off must be unpleasant.

Do you remember when Bruce took some time out? .. he was replaced by Blaze Bailey from Wolfsbane to be Maiden's lead singer. I was a film student at the time and filmed Wolfsbane's last gig at their local place in Tamworth, they were too tight to give me the token £20 so I kept the tape. My mate Justin always used to say it how it was .. Wolfsbane used to drink in the railway tavern pub in Tamworth and Blaze was full of himself at the time, sitting there gazing around like a rock star until Justin said "Blaze, why are you such a wanker?" :rofl: : "Because my public expect it" was the answer ..

In case anyone's curious ..

I always did enjoy Wolfsbane, and Bayley's albums with Maiden were by no means bad. Blaze looks a little different now, though!

Edit: sodding Android auto-correct. Who's Blaze Batley?

My mate Justin always used to say it how it was .. Wolfsbane used to drink in the railway tavern pub in Tamworth and Blaze was full of himself at the time, sitting there gazing around like a rock star until Justin said "Blaze, why are you such a wanker?" :rofl: : "Because my public expect it" was the answer ...
Reading between the lines of his Wikipedia entry, it looks like his numerous ex-colleagues began to have similar expectations...

I was about write something uncharitable about his weight, but it seems he lost his first wife two months after the wedding a few years back.

I wasn't being overly nasty about Blaze's appearance, I hope, more that I find it reassuring that hair-loss and middle-aged spread affect the famous, and not (to pick a random example) just me!

Do you remember when Bruce took some time out? .. he was replaced by Blaze Bailey from Wolfsbane to be Maiden's lead singer. I was a film student at the time and filmed Wolfsbane's last gig at their local place in Tamworth, they were too tight to give me the token £20 so I kept the tape. My mate Justin always used to say it how it was .. Wolfsbane used to drink in the railway tavern pub in Tamworth and Blaze was full of himself at the time, sitting there gazing around like a rock star until Justin said "Blaze, why are you such a wanker?" :rofl: : "Because my public expect it" was the answer ..

In case anyone's curious ..

VERY familiar main riff:

Blaze wasn't a total wanker to be fair .. he used to drive a Robin Reliant, canary yellow with red flames painted up the side for a laugh and also made a film of his band called 'In bed with m'dinner', a spoof namesake of Madonna's film 'In bed with Madonna'. His bestest mate (Rick Quay) was the singer in another Tamworth band called Rhythm Damage and an ex punk who got into techno in the early years of techno. Rick invited us to London to some do at The Hilton hotel sponsored by Rolling Rock beer (so we'd do some filming) but this was before everyone had mobile phones so we ended up staying at one of the band's sisters flat instead. Rick eventually found us and said he'd ended up in a hotel room crashed out next to a snoring Ozzy and others :cool: .... the greatest sounding party I ever missed.

Blaze wasn't a total wanker to be fair .. he used to drive a Robin Reliant, canary yellow with red flames painted up the side for a laugh and also made a film of his band called 'In bed with m'dinner', a spoof namesake of Madonna's film 'In bed with Madonna'. His bestest mate (Rick Quay) was the singer in another Tamworth band called Rhythm Damage and an ex punk who got into techno in the early years of techno. Rick invited us to London to some do at The Hilton hotel sponsored by Rolling Rock beer (so we'd do some filming) but this was before everyone had mobile phones so we ended up staying at one of the band's sisters flat instead. Rick eventually found us and said he'd ended up in a hotel room crashed out next to a snoring Ozzy and others :cool: .... the greatest sounding party I ever missed.
I've got to say, I thought his retort to your mate sounded pretty funny and self-aware. The reliant is another classy touch, and of course they were built in Tamworth. If I ever have another one, it will have Plug from out of the Bash Street Kids on the front - 'cos it's a three-pin-plug, innit? - and "Bash Street Hero" down the side, to wind up those who take a certain biker mag a litle too seriously :evil:

... Justin said "Blaze, why are you such a wanker?" :rofl: : "Because my public expect it" was the answer ..

LOL, that's very good - if Oscar Wilde, Groucho Marx, or Peter Cook had said it we would be seeing it repeated in volume after volume of famously erudite quotations :D

I idolised Wolfsbane when I was a callow long haired waster from Coventry - I spent hours in front of a mirror trying to read the backwards writing on 'All hell is breaking loose down at little Kathy Wilson's place'. I remember there was a long running semi-campaign in Kerrang! to get them to open Monsters of Rock. That would have been awesome ...

LOL, that's very good - if Oscar Wilde, Groucho Marx, or Peter Cook had said it we would be seeing it repeated in volume after volume of famously erudite quotations :D
When all's said and done, they were alright, normal down to earth Tamworth headbangers :cool: .. there 'howling mad shit head tour' provided you with the chance to buy badges, one reading "How does fuck off sound?", a line I've used since then .. his mate Rick was the one we liked more though, he created the 'Squidgy Gate' tune with Altern-8 and hadn't slept for two days when he called us around to listen to it. The deal was, if it got in the top ten (and Piers Morgan was involved in this), they got to take a U-Boat down the thames. It didn't get in the top ten.

Princess Diana remixed from those tapes wot were on the news by Rick :cool: ... old skool phone tapping ..

Last edited:
Saw Judas Priest playing in Portsmouth last night....they still bloody rock, amazing stuff.

I've seen a lot of the big 'uns, but Metallica and Priest are the most obvious exceptions.

AC/DC
Black Sabbath (most stoned)
Ozzy
Iron Maiden (fun-fun-fun)
Megadeth (tightest band)
Motorhead (drunkest)
Sepultura
Slayer (lethal)
Pantera

- A lot of big names and they all rocked.

AC/DC: the best show.
Sepultura: the most intense.

I'd love to see Tool and Alice Cooper before gigs become a distant memory.

Oh, and the silliest was Yngwie and the wildest was the Foo Fighters at the Reading Festival a few months after their first album. They were playing some secondary stage with open access and I'd estimate that five time the capacity were trying to force their way in. I was almost front a centre and I've never been more packed or concerned about the people going down in the pit, but the atmosphere was electric. Best sound, incidentally, was Roger Waters at the Wembley Arena with a quadrophonic sound system - you felt the gig as much as heard it.

Last edited:
Best sound, incidentally, was Roger Waters at the Wembley Arena with a quadrophonic sound system - you felt the gig as much as heard it.

Was that one of his recent gigs or back in the Radio Kaos era? Did his solo stuff sound any different live?

Last edited by a moderator:
It was 2002. This tour:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Flesh_(1999-2002_concert_tour_by_Roger_Waters)

(setlist near end of link).

His solo stuff had been slightly reworked, arrangement and sound-wise, so that it did not jar with the Floyd material. In general, I'm far less of a fan of his solo work, but it worked all the same. there was also a fantastic projector collage-display going on that was actually interesting, unlike many such things I'd seen. Lots of old photos and fancy effects. Whoever it was on the keyboards at that gig was also very talented.

Highlight was Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. It was terrifically reworked with hypnotic Arabic hints and Nick Mason guesting to boot.

The CD of the tour is a fair copy of what I heard that night, although recorded earlier.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Flesh_–_Live

As if by magic:
[but not quadrophonic!]

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of the big 'uns, but Metallica and Priest are the most obvious exceptions.

AC/DC
Black Sabbath (most stoned)
Ozzy
Iron Maiden (fun-fun-fun)
Megadeth (tightest band)
Motorhead (drunkest)
Sepultura
Slayer (lethal)
Pantera

- A lot of big names and they all rocked.

AC/DC: the best show.
Sepultura: the most intense.

I'd love to see Tool and Alice Cooper before gigs become a distant memory.

Oh, and the silliest was Yngwie and the wildest was the Foo Fighters at the Reading Festival a few months after their first album. They were playing some secondary stage with open access and I'd estimate that five time the capacity were trying to force their way in. I was almost front a centre and I've never been more packed or concerned about the people going down in the pit, but the atmosphere was electric. Best sound, incidentally, was Roger Waters at the Wembley Arena with a quadrophonic sound system - you felt the gig as much as heard it.

Saxon in 1980 in High Wycombe town hall. My ears rang for three days, loudest gig I ever went to, and I've been to Motorhead five times.

Rainbow, worst big band gig ever.
Slade in 1981 or thereabouts at Hammersmith, simply awesome.

Sepultura were better than I was expecting when I saw them.

Saw Spider once. Really really not very good...saw Queen in 1979 at the Rainbow theater, awesome and did front of stage security for the Damned, 'lively' in the mid 80's.

Not so much a myth, but in the "best laid plans" department: The story of Darby Crash of the punk band "The Germs".

Darby had decided to go out in style at the age of 22 with an intentional overdose of heroin. He would make national headlines securing his place in music legend.

He injected the lethal dose of heroin as he planned, but he never got that chance at postmortem fame that day on December 7th.

That went to John Lennon, December 8th 1980.

Here's an extract from the Wikipedia page on Allin.

The bit I've put in italics puzzles me -

The body would surely have been prepared for a post-mortem examination like anyone else's, including being washed. The mortician could have left out embalming and cosmetic work but the body would already be clean.
His mates partied with the corpse all night according to the police. No charges though.( couldn't prove he was already dead in the selfies that were allegedly taken by the partygoers ) .

I've heard for years that Robert Plant's "Big Log" was made as a joke where Plant said he could make a song about a bowel movement and turn it into a hit. Surely that’s just a joke…

It's as good (or bad) an answer as any. If anyone can work out what Big Log is about, I'd be surprised. The video is no help, either.

I've heard for years that Robert Plant's "Big Log" was made as a joke where Plant said he could make a song about a bowel movement and turn it into a hit. Surely that’s just a joke…

...and yet Coil managed to forge a twenty-year career in similar fashion.

I'm so sorry. That's not even my kind of humour...it must be the heat. :oops:

That whole 'Marilyn Manson was that kid from The Wonder Years' thing was debunked a longish time ago, the other fun urban myth about him 'back in the day' was that he'd deliberately had a rib removed so he could successfully suck himself off. I wonder if that's a recycled story that's also been attributed to previous rock and pop stars ? .. it sounds too good/stupid to be true ..

I've certainly heard the same accusation leveled at The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, and another rock 'n' pop fellow whose identity escapes me at the moment.

It wouldn't work on the NHS would it? Our hero pitches up in A&E complaining that, try as he might, he can't get the old fella into the cakehole: "No problem, sir - we'll organise an unnecessary surgical prodecure straight away."

I've certainly heard the same accusation leveled at The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, and another rock 'n' pop fellow whose identity escapes me at the moment.

It wouldn't work on the NHS would it? Our hero pitches up in A&E complaining that, try as he might, he can't get the old fella into the cakehole: "No problem, sir - we'll organise an unnecessary surgical prodecure straight away."
I doubt it's true either. I suppose with enough money, theoretically, you could pay to have a rib removed through some corrupt surgeon somewhere ?

https://medium.com/@danielralston/marilyn-manson-sucks-his-own-dick-the-oral-history-cee5ee2405f4

NSFW

...Marilyn Manson...had a rib removed so he could successfully suck himself off.

Given a choice between having a painful and unnecessary surgical procedure, or dating Dita von Teese:

SIL_Dita_Daytime_Glamour2_1024x1024.jpg

... I think I'd be inclined to outsource my throat yoghurt disposal.

maximus otter

Back