• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rock & Roll Myths

Given a choice between having a painful and unnecessary surgical procedure, or dating Dita von Teese:

... I think I'd be inclined to outsource my throat yoghurt disposal.

maximus otter

There's an old trade school saying my instructor brought up when anyone suggested a unnecessary modification to some very expensive machinery:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Last edited:
i have heard that various people did not have their instruments plugged in for live performances (sid vicious, richey edwards).

John Deacon can be seen at Live Aid and on Queen's 84 and 86 tours singing backing vocals, but the sound engineers were apparently told to make sure his mike was kept turned off.

There is a YT clip of on occasion when his mike stayed on...

I don't think he's a bad singer, but his voice definitely didn't fit in with the harmonies of the other three.

Also, you know that tambourine that Stevie Nicks was always playing? It has been said that a roadie would tape the zills together to muffle the noise as Ms Nicks' sense of rhythm was not quite perfect...

I do recall hearing of Motley Crue touring with Ozzy Ozbourne. At one point Ozzy dared of the Crue members to go outside and have a pee in front of an old lady stood at a bus stop. Mortified, but not wanting to be outdone by Ozzy he proceeded to do so. Ozzy was a bit miffed that he had actually gone through with it. So he ran outside and started drinking it!

I have head an interview with someone from Motley Crue where they described what happened - they hadn't met Ozzy yet and Nikki Sixx desperately wanted to impress him, so decided to urinate on the floor of his hotel room when Ozzy entered then lick it up.

Ozzy arrives, Sixx passes water, but before he can get the chance to bend down, Ozzy himself drops to the floor at licks it up.

I think this was the same tour where, lying next to an outdoor swimming pool, Ozzy spotted a line of ants walking in single file, and snorted them up his nose.

GG-Alllin, heroin addict, punk rocker, scooped up his own crap off the stage and into his mouth so he could spit it at his audience, sometimes physically assaulted his audience, both male and female .. usually performed nude..
[/QUOTE]

I saw a clip of GG Allin once where he had self-harmed and done a jobby onstage, and somehow got said jobby smeared all over his naked, tattooed body. A riot broke out in the club and Mr Allin ran out the fire escape into the street, and tried to stop a taxi. Strangely enough, no taxis seemed willing to stop for the shaven headed, tattooed, heavily bleeding, excrement smeared gentleman.

Last edited:
Given a choice between having a painful and unnecessary surgical procedure, or dating Dita von Teese:

SIL_Dita_Daytime_Glamour2_1024x1024.jpg

... I think I'd be inclined to outsource my throat yoghurt disposal.

maximus otter
Classy of you.

I saw a clip of GG Allin once where he had self-harmed and done a jobby onstage, and somehow got said jobby smeared all over his naked, tattooed body. A riot broke out in the club and Mr Allin ran out the fire escape into the street, and tried to stop a taxi. Strangely enough, no taxis seemed willing to stop for the shaven headed, tattooed, heavily bleeding, excrement smeared gentleman.
I'm amazed he's no longer with us.

Oh wait, no I'm not.

New evidence suggests that Richey Edwards staged his disappearance
The new evidence includes previously unreported sightings of Edwards, alongside a long-held fascination with disappearance that he apparently enjoyed since his school days. The book also details an important meeting between Edwards and a woman at Cardiff’s Whitchurch Hospital, who later moved to Israel.

“By coincidence, the link came up again when co-author Leon went for a haircut in Cardiff and started talking about Richey”, WalesOnline reports.

“The lady cutting his hair said ‘he’s actually living in a kibbutz in Israel, everybody knows’,” Sara says. “As you can imagine it took him aback.

“We gave this theory no particular credence until Rachel raised the same idea – yes Richey had been going on about heading to that part of the world just before he vanished.”
https://www.nme.com/news/music/new-...ged-disappearance-2438975#9Pbgmw59wAJCcmGC.99

I'll take that with a pinch of salt, there were fewer surveillance cameras around back then, but how would Richey have made it all that way with nobody recognising him, especially when the news was full of the report of his disappearance? He wasn't exactly the most well-balanced individual, and seemed to romanticise his depression, so what better conclusion in his mind than ending it all dramatically?

I will add a pinch of salt too.
Whilst there are some workers on Kibbutzes from Thailand, permanent residents from Europe are heavily vetted.
To become a member of the Kibbutz you have to be voted on by the residents' committee, who are notoriously fussy.
Especially about people with known mental health issues.
Also if Edwards was not Jewish, he would have had only a temporary residence permit, and would not be eligible for full citizenship.

If Edwards was Jewish, or even had one Jewish grandparent, then applying for citizenship would be possible.
It is a lengthy process, can take six months, and involves a significant amount of verification of family background and health.
He would need to have references from people who knew him i.e Rabbi/Doctor etc so they would have been aware in advance that he was planning to go to Israel, where he would receive his Israeli ID card and passport.

Too many people would have been involved in this process and the production of these documents for it to have gone unremarked on, unless he was somehow involved in the world of espionage.

This is a curious one. Ms Torry seems an elusive figure . There is only ever the same pic of her - on the web and they couldn't find any other pics or interview her for a recent programme on the making of "Dark Side" .

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0407082.html

Not that elusive she even got Robin Gibb to produce one of her singles in 1969 and there are plenty of pics of her with RG on its release

Anyone remember this and the start of the video talk about threating and a ungrateful ego maniac and I know it's his right to refuse fan mail but could of went about better.

Anyone remember this and the start of the video talk about threating and a ungrateful ego maniac and I know it's his right to refuse fan mail but could of went about better.

I'm not sure how apocryphal the tale is, but I recall being told that at the height of Beatlemania John Lennon was asked by an adoring fan whether in his opinion Ringo was the best drummer in the world, to which he replied: Ringo's not even the best drummer in the Beatles.

I'm not sure how apocryphal the tale is, but I recall being told that at the height of Beatlemania John Lennon was asked by an adoring fan whether in his opinion Ringo was the best drummer in the world, to which he replied: Ringo's not even the best drummer in the Beatles.

I was told once that Ringo was so bad at drumming that Paul would go back into the studio and rerecord himself on drums. Specifically this was about the track Strawberry Fields. Like you, unsure how true it is as I really dislike the band and I am unwilling to verify any of it.

... Not all flash and technique, but just what is required and the kind of 'narrative drumming' that helps shape the tone and shape of the songs.

Exactly ... Ringo was always underrated as a drummer because the Beatles (once they'd 'hit') weren't a conventional rock 'n roll band featuring the percussion. He's hardly noticeable on many of the early hits, where the rhythm is carried as much or more by the guitars than his Ludwigs.

As time went on, he had to evolve new techniques for the sort of peer instrumentalist contributor role that was relatively unique to his situation and the context of Martin's production approach. If anything, Ringo was arguably the Beatle whose instrumental capabilities and chops evolved the most during the group's heyday.

He was a good drummer but Paul got so perfectionist toward the end that he did go back and rerecord the drum part.
My son works at a high end hotel in Atlanta and Mr. Starr came for a stay last year. By the end of which all the staff were talking about what an asshole he is.

I remember the ridiculous overreaction to his message, yes. He was refusing to sign anymore because people were sending him priceless objects and memorabilia through the post to be autographed, and he was concerned that many would be damaged or lost (and who would pick up the tab for that?). So he wasn't being an "egomaniac", he was being careful and thoughtful.

I wouldn't call the way he was acting careful and thoughtful more like to me anyway threating not karm and collected.

I know they were almost certainly not being serious, but Freddie Mercury and Rod Stewart both separately claimed that in the mid-80s they were going to form a band with Elton John called Hair, Nose and Teeth, but they couldn't agree on what order the words should be in.

I really want that to be true.

I know they were almost certainly not being serious, but Freddie Mercury and Rod Stewart both separately claimed that in the mid-80s they were going to form a band with Elton John called Hair, Nose and Teeth, but they couldn't agree on what order the words should be in. ... .

Rod Stewart mentioned this in his 2012 autobiography, and the story emerged again in January 2019 based on comments by Austrian filmmaker Rudi Dolezal (who filmed Mercury quite often).

https://nypost.com/2019/01/17/fredd...-and-rod-stewart-wanted-to-form-a-supergroup/
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/freddie-mercury-elton-john-rod-stewart-supergroup/
https://www.nme.com/news/music/elto...-once-considered-forming-a-supergroup-2434833

Rod Stewart mentioned this in his 2012 autobiography, and the story emerged again in January 2019 based on comments by Austrian filmmaker Rudi Dolezal (who filmed Mercury quite often).

https://nypost.com/2019/01/17/fredd...-and-rod-stewart-wanted-to-form-a-supergroup/
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/freddie-mercury-elton-john-rod-stewart-supergroup/
https://www.nme.com/news/music/elto...-once-considered-forming-a-supergroup-2434833

It's not the fact that they talked about their supergroup that I love, it's that the reason Mercury gave in an interview (that I have tucked away somewhere) for it not going ahead is that they each wanted their own anatomical feature to be first in the group's name! I suspect they weren't 100% serious about any of it though!

https://www.dvhn.nl/extra/27-Freddi...html?harvest_referrer=https://www.google.com/

I know they were almost certainly not being serious, but Freddie Mercury and Rod Stewart both separately claimed that in the mid-80s they were going to form a band with Elton John called Hair, Nose and Teeth, but they couldn't agree on what order the words should be in.

I really want that to be true.

I seem to remember that being said by Elton John on a TV chat show.

Well, Rod would be Nose and Freddie would be Teeth, but Elton John as Hair would have them under the Trades Descriptions Act at the time.

I see in the paper recently that the story about The Scorpions' biggest hit Wind of Change has re-emerged. Supposedly it was written for them by the CIA to capitalise on the fall of the Berlin Wall/The Soviet Union and give the USA a cultural advantage. Anyway, the lead singer says that is nonsense, but I doubt that'll stop the CTs.

Did a search to see if this had been mentioned and this thread came up.
A highly amusing description of Gram Parson's ... er ... post-decease shenanigans, from the You Tube channel "Ask a Mortician".

Did a search to see if this had been mentioned and this thread came up.
A highly amusing description of Gram Parson's ... er ... post-decease shenanigans, from the You Tube channel "Ask a Mortician".
I remember that happening.

So far as I know, although Halford was quite obviously gay, his sexuality was considered an "open secret" for years. That is to say, he only 'officially' and publically announced that he was gay in about the mid 1990s. Roddy has been out for most of his career, eg, since the mid 1980s.
I remember when Rob Halford came out. I was in a mate's house with some fellow metal-enthusiast friends, listening to music and someone said that Halford had come out as gay.

Everyone said pretty much the same thing: that we had all just assumed he was gay all along.

The metal community just collectively said "oh" and moved on. No-one was particularly bothered. Heavy-mettalurgists tended to be much more tolerant of difference than most sub-cultures back then and I'm happy to say it seems to be the same now.

It helps that wearing chains, studs, leather (or of course, faux leather for our vegetarians), and/or spandex is totally normal, mind

Back