• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rock & Roll Myths

Rrose_Selavy said:
gerardwilkie said:
I've got a copy of Gimme Shalter. You don't actually see the killing take place though , bit you do see some scary looking Hells Angels . I've always been led to believe that it happened during Under My Thumb.

Isn't there a point near the end where Jagger et al are shown the rushes of the filming and they see the point at which the stabbing takes place? although blurred someone is spotted with the knife. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks -

That's right, it's at the end of the film. I remember Jagger saying onstage right after the killing, "Oh no, something always goes wrong when we play this song!" Anyone know the last time they played "Under My Thumb" live?

From Wiki

It may be the gun rather than the knife that is spotted in the film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimme_Shel ... mentary%29

Much of the film chronicles the behind-the-scenes dealmaking that took place to make the free Altamont concert happen. The action then turns on the concert itself, in which security was provided by the Hells Angels.

As the day progressed, with drug-taking and drinking by the Angels and members of the audience, the mood turned ugly. Fights broke out during performances by the Jefferson Airplane (at one point lead singer Marty Balin was knocked out by a Hells Angel) and the Flying Burrito Brothers. By the time the Stones hit the stage, the crowd was especially restless.

It was during "Under My Thumb" that a gun-toting fan, Meredith Hunter, was stabbed to death by a member of the Angels. However, "Sympathy for the Devil" is most often associated with the incident.

gncxx said:
Rrose_Selavy said:
gerardwilkie said:
I've got a copy of Gimme Shalter. You don't actually see the killing take place though , bit you do see some scary looking Hells Angels . I've always been led to believe that it happened during Under My Thumb.

Isn't there a point near the end where Jagger et al are shown the rushes of the filming and they see the point at which the stabbing takes place? although blurred someone is spotted with the knife. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks -

That's right, it's at the end of the film. I remember Jagger saying onstage right after the killing, "Oh no, something always goes wrong when we play this song!" Anyone know the last time they played "Under My Thumb" live?

Saw the Stones in Glasgow 2 years ago , and they played Under My Thumb . I'll see them again in a couple of weeks , so we'll see.

gerardwilkie said:
Saw the Stones in Glasgow 2 years ago , and they played Under My Thumb . I'll see them again in a couple of weeks , so we'll see.

I take it nothing terrible happened when they played it?

gncxx said:
gerardwilkie said:

I take it nothing terrible happened when they played it?

Didn't Keef R fall out of a tree?

-

Yeah but that was a few weeks ago and the concert in question was two years ago. Unless it's a slow acting curse.

gncxx said:
Yeah but that was a few weeks ago and the concert in question was two years ago. Unless it's a slow acting curse.

He might have been humming it before he fell.

gncxx said:
Is it true that one of the Bangles used to be a man? Dunno which one, but not Susanna, surely?

This used to be a man rumour is making a comeback, only in connection with Crunk singer Ciara. Scott Mills was denying it on his radio show today along with a similar one about The Pussycat Dolls.

It's a homosexual panic myth for straight males, I think, where the teller of the tale says, ah! You find her attractive but she's really a man! That means you must be gay!

Anyone heard any myths about male rock or pop stars who used to be women? It doesn't work the other way, does it?

It's been a long time, but ...

Back in the 1960's and 1970's there was an enduring rock 'myth scenario' in which entertainer X was claimed to have given up his seat at the last minute on the airplane in which Buddy Holly et al. died.

Over the years this most self-serving of good deeds was attributed to a variety of musicians - to the point it became something of a running joke. I think it was Waylon Jennings (himself one of the alleged 'bumpees') circa the late 1970's who quipped it would have taken a 747 to hold all the people who'd allegedly been assigned to the fatal flight.

I saw a documentary about Holly on the Biography Channel a couple of weeks ago which went into the crash scenario in some detail.

The version presented therein was that Holly hired the plane and pilot as he wanted to get to the next venue in time to do some washing and get a good night's sleep instead of napping on the tour bus.

But as seats were limited, there was some discussion among the rest of the group about who else would fly. So the blokes who died with Holly were not the ones who'd been expected to fly originally.

If this is right, then Holly was doomed all along, and only the 2 other seats were up for Reaper-dodging.

Read this one today: is it true that David Bowie owns the copyright to popular game Connect Four? It's easy to believe even if it isn't true.

More Altamont-related stories:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7274829.stm

Jagger 'escaped gang murder plot'

Rolling Stones frontman Sir Mick Jagger escaped an assassination attempt at the hands of Hells Angels in 1969, a BBC Radio 4 documentary has claimed.

A former FBI agent told The FBI at 100 series the gang tried to reach Jagger's home in Long Island, New York, by sea, but a storm almost sank their boat.

He said the singer had become a target in a dispute over security at concerts.

Presenter Tom Mangold said the FBI, who only learned of the plot afterwards, regarded it as a "serious attempt".

It is not clear whether Jagger was informed of the plot and his spokesman declined to comment.

The row with the gang began after the death of a teenage fan at a free gig at Altamont Speedway in California.

The Hells Angels were hired by Jagger to work as security at the concert, but were subsequently fired after the incident.

"They were going to kill him in retribution for his firing their security forces," former FBI agent Mark Young told the documentary.

"Their plan involved making entry onto his Long Island property, going by boat.

"As they gathered the weaponry and their forces to go out on Long Island Sound, a storm rolled up, which nearly sunk the watercraft that they were in, and they escaped with their own lives.

"They never went back and reinstituted the plan."

The programme will be broadcast on 11 March at 1545 GMT.

Could this be true? I know the Hell's Angels had no love for Jagger after what happened, but would they go that far?

A gang of bikers sailing in a boat to murder him doesn't strike me as the Hell's Angels style though. Couldn't they just have ''accidentally" ran him over with their bikes instead?

It does sound over the top, in a "so many things can go wrong" kind of way. There must be easier ways to assassinate celebs.

Well, it's not as bizarre as some the attempts by the CIA to kill Castro.

stuneville said:
Well, it's not as bizarre as some the attempts by the CIA to kill Castro.

The CIA are as successful as a boat full of Hell's Angels.

QED

http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article.htm ... _page_id=7

They both hail from Wales, have soulful voices and ooze sex appeal.

The similarities between Duffy and Sir Tom Jones may end there – but it has been enough to convince the US that the songstress is the secret love-child of the legendary crooner.

The 23-year-old has shot to the top of the US album charts – and is also trying to dispel rumours that her father is the veteran singer.

Fans say the proof is they both have powerful voices. Duffy told a US radio station: 'I know I'm dealing with this on a daily basis. It's kind of bizarre. You've just got to let go and almost laugh at it because you can't control what people say or assume.'

The singer, who is touring the US to promote her Rockferry album, added her father is actually John, who runs a bar in her home town of Nefyn, north Wales – more than 240km (150miles) away from the south Wales valleys town of Pontypridd where Sir Tom grew up.

She said: 'My dad is such a sweet guy. I don't know if he has read the accusations about potential fatherhood.'

Yeah, the resemblance is uncanny. Or maybe not. Maybe the rumour-mongers think there are only about fifty people in Wales?

Nonsense. Everyone knows she's the bastard offspring of Shakin' Stevens.

Two Welsh people, from Wales, who can sing! They must be related...

Nobody's tried to connect them together, with Dame Shirley Bassey and Sir Harry Secombe yet, either. :lol:

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Two Welsh people, from Wales, who can sing! They must be related...

Nobody's tried to connect them together, with Dame Shirley Bassey and Sir Harry Secombe yet, either. :lol:

Charlotte Church must be her sister!!!!

You know I was gunna say that and then I thought "shit, is she actually welsh? am i going to make a dick of myself if i say that? is it really going to add to the topic if i make a half-arsed comment anyway?"

what's funny is that i probably did just make a dick of myself and this anecdote really does add very little to the conversation. :D

LaurenChurchill said:

what's funny is that i probably did just make a dick of myself and this anecdote really does add very little to the conversation. :D
This being such an important, sophisticated and intellectual discourse, of course. :lol:

Just to clear this new one up (no, he's not Fatboy Slim but I bet he wishes he had his money):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7544933.stm

Mercury Prize nominee Burial has revealed his identity after keeping it a secret for several years.

On his MySpace blog, the dubstep musician told fans: "My name's Will Bevan, I'm from south London."

He added: "I wanted to be unknown because I just want it to be all about the tunes."

His announcement followed rumours in a newspaper that Burial might be a pseudonym for dance DJs Fatboy Slim or Aphex Twin.

Bevan has been known as Burial since his eponymous debut album was released in 2006 to critical acclaim.

He has consistently refused to be photographed and has rarely granted interviews or played gigs.

When his second album, Untrue, was nominated for the Mercury Prize two weeks ago, pressure grew on the artist to reveal his identity.

'Head down'

The Sun newspaper appeared determined to "out" him with a plea to readers to help "dig up the real Burial".

On social-networking site MySpace, Bevan wrote: "I'm a low-key person and I just want to make some tunes, nothing else.

"Over the last year the unknown thing became an issue so I'm not into it any more," he added.

As to what he was doing now, Bevan said: "I'm keeping my head down and just going to finish my next album.

"There's going to be a 12" maybe in the next few weeks too, with four tunes. Hope u like it."

You can trust The Sun to spoil your fun! If only he had actually been Jive Bunny...

Have these people even heard Burial? Fatboy Slim! Hahahaha!

I've been reading Simon Napier-Bell's 'Black Vinyl White Powder', all about what pop/rock musicians get up to.

:shock:

escargot1 said:
I've been reading Simon Napier-Bell's 'Black Vinyl White Powder', all about what pop/rock musicians get up to.
They get talc all over cheap seating?

Attention Conspiracy Theorists: Did John Lennon Sell His Soul?
A new book is coming in December from New Chapter Press that asks whether John Lennon sold his soul to Satan in exchange for his musical success. The Lennon Prophecy, A New Examination of the Death Clues of the Beatles by Joseph Niezgoda will interpret the hidden messages and symbols that have supposedly been littering the Beatles landscape for many years.

According to the press release, "Niezgoda dissects and examines the Beatles' and Lennon's recordings and album artwork and follows a fascinating and unique trail of sorcery, mysticism, numerology, backward masking, anagrams and literary and theological writings to explain his conclusions."

The Lennon Prophecy puts forth the theory that a 20-year-old Lennon, so disillusioned with a life of sadness and disappointment where he was abandoned by his father and stricken with the death of his mother, entered into a deal with the devil to achieve fame and fortune. Niezgoda alleges that a 20-year pact began in December of 1960, shortly before a night when Beatlemania first struck audiences on December 27, 1960, when the Fab Four played at Town Hall Ballroom in Litherland, England. During that performance, as Niezgoda writes, "The Beatles evoked a response noticeably different from anything in their past." From there, The Beatles inexplicably and immediately shot to global fame at a level never seen before or since. The 20-year pact came to its tragic conclusion on December 8, 1980, when Mark David Chapman, who testified he was possessed by demons, fulfilled the end of the contract by murdering Lennon outside of his apartment at The Dakota in New York City.

Clues foretelling the death of Lennon are revealed in album covers such as Rubber Soul, Yesterday and Today, A Collection of Beatles Oldies, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Yellow Submarine, Magical Mystery Tour, Abbey Road as well as Lennon solo albums Imagine and Walls and Bridges. Songs that also reveal the mysterious prediction of death and connections to the devil include Tomorrow Never Knows, I Am The Walrus, Come Together, One After 909, Let It Be, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Revolution No. 9, which Niezgoda reveals is in itself a step-by-step preview of the actual assassination. The video for the biggest hit off Lennon's last album (Just Like) Starting Over also reveals an intriguing clue that brings the literary world of James Joyce into the myriad clues.

Lennon's alleged anti-Christian behavior as well as his infamous declaration that the Beatles were "Bigger than Jesus" are also presented as evidence of a possible pact. Niezgoda also dispels the "Paul-is-Dead" mythology that theorized that the Beatles inserted clues in their songs how Paul McCartney was killed in a car crash.

http://collectingvinylrecords.blogspot.com/

Mighty_Emperor said:
9: Richey Edwards lives

Ten years on, Richey's disappearance remains imbued with a Lucan-like mythology by those who love a good mystery. Given the extent of his problems - self-harm, alcoholism, anorexia - and the fact that numerous sightings have amounted to nothing, it's safe to assume he's probably no longer alive, sadly. But don't expect the rumours to evaporate.

The Manics are releasing a new album later this month with the lyrics coming entirely from a binder of songs handed by Richey to the band just days before he disappeared.

No doubt will lead to a whole raft of 'interpretations' of the lyrics and hidden meanings, messages being found.

Personally I reckon his body is somewhere out in the depths of the Atlantic, having been washed out to sea by the tides of the River Severn.

Back