• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rocketry, Rockets & Rocket Launches

skinny

Nigh
Thinking forward here, but looking back to launch the thread.

The SatV has been the strongest thruster ever made. What's next to get us to Mars and beyond? I went to a lecture a few years ago where the Atlas booster was pimped for the next lunar ventures. What will get us out of the local orbits? Who has the hardware? When will we see it take off?

Anybody been to a rocket launch? I understand they are very emotional affairs. The gunpowder booming through the earth gets into your gut and shakes your foundations.

Last edited:
Was this an actual launch or a depiction? Looks like a cartoon.

SpaceX has tested its engines on its FalconX Heavy carrier. Won't hold my breath for a launch test. It is SpaceX after all.

Falcon Heavy: Big SpaceX rocket lights 27 engines
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42692673

636493700092785276-DRezf3DUEAAubA3.jpg

Last edited:
... Anybody been to a rocket launch? I understand they are very emotional affairs. The gunpowder booming through the earth gets into your gut and shakes your foundations. ...

I attended one of the early Shuttle launches back in the Eighties, witnessing the launch from one of the guest areas out on the Cape.

Have you ever pushed a stereo system hard, to the point the speakers give up at the high and low extremities and yield only ripping snarls where their reproduction capabilities fail?

Now imagine something sonically powerful enough to induce that same overdrive / hitting-the-limit effect on the air around you and your ears themselves.

That's what it's like. Very little 'shock', but a helluva lot of 'awe' ...

I attended one of the early Shuttle launches back in the Eighties, witnessing the launch from one of the guest areas out on the Cape.

Have you ever pushed a stereo system hard, to the point the speakers give up at the high and low extremities and yield only ripping snarls where their reproduction capabilities fail?

Now imagine something sonically powerful enough to induce that same overdrive / hitting-the-limit effect on the air around you and your ears themselves.

That's what it's like. Very little 'shock', but a helluva lot of 'awe' ...
I can imagine it a bit. If I lived stateside I'd have been a Cape tragic, addicted.

The videos I posted above attest not to a consistent roar of smooth fuel combustion as depicted in hollywood fillums, but a relentless jackhammer pounding of multiple conglomerate explosions. The ultimate aural assault. What a ride. What a ride.

Here's another descriptive angle on a launch event ...

The sound is so powerful it violently stirs the air into a myriad of eddies. When the roar subsides you can still hear the whooshing / whistling susurrations around your head.

The only other phenomenon that's given me this whooshing eddies effect was sitting on the end of an airport runway and watching jetliners come in circa 30 feet overhead.

A big rocket launch rips the air at a distance of 1 - 1.5 miles like a flying jetliner does at circa 30 feet.

Madly catching screenshots of this event. Will post images later. Have the 46" TV screen plugged in as my monitor and being awed. Mesmerising stuff.

Uploading screenshots. Bit of spamming but very nice views.

Attachments

• spx  moon.jpg
    spx moon.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 9
  • spx bell.jpg
    spx bell.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 9
  • spx earth man.jpg
    spx earth man.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 9
  • spx geeks.jpg
    spx geeks.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Part 2

Attachments

• spx launch.jpg
    spx launch.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 9
  • spx lens flares.jpg
    spx lens flares.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 10
  • spx starman rising.jpg
    spx starman rising.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 11
  • spx1.jpg
    spx1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 12
  • spx2.jpg
    spx2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 11
  • spx3.jpg
    spx3.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Part 3

Attachments

• spx5.jpg
    spx5.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 8
  • spx6.jpg
    spx6.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 8
  • spx7.jpg
    spx7.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 12
  • spx8.jpg
    spx8.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 7
  • spx8.jpg
    spx8.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 8
Part 4

Attachments

• spx9.2.1.jpg
    spx9.2.1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 8
  • spx9.2.2.jpg
    spx9.2.2.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 11
  • spx9.2.3.jpg
    spx9.2.3.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 12
  • spx9.2.4.jpg
    spx9.2.4.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 8
  • spx9.2.jpg
    spx9.2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 9
  • spx9.3.jpg
    spx9.3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 8
Part 5

Attachments

• spx9.4.jpg
    spx9.4.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 8
  • spx9.5.jpg
    spx9.5.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 8
  • spx9.6.jpg
    spx9.6.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 9
  • spx9.7.jpg
    spx9.7.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 9
  • spx9.8.jpg
    spx9.8.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 10
  • spx9.9.1.jpg
    spx9.9.1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 11
Part 6

Attachments

• spx9.9.2.jpg
    spx9.9.2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 10
  • spx9.9.3.jpg
    spx9.9.3.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 8
  • spx9.9.4.jpg
    spx9.9.4.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 7
  • spx9.9.5.jpg
    spx9.9.5.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 8
  • spx9.9.8.jpg
    spx9.9.8.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 7
  • spx9.9.9.jpg
    spx9.9.9.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 9
  • spx9.9.jpg
    spx9.9.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 9
  • spx9.jpg
    spx9.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 10
Here's another descriptive angle on a launch event ...

The sound is so powerful it violently stirs the air into a myriad of eddies. When the roar subsides you can still hear the whooshing / whistling susurrations around your head.

The only other phenomenon that's given me this whooshing eddies effect was sitting on the end of an airport runway and watching jetliners come in circa 30 feet overhead.

A big rocket launch rips the air at a distance of 1 - 1.5 miles like a flying jetliner does at circa 30 feet.

A friend who saw a shuttle launch from some distance away (basically a bright light on top of a plume of smoke) described to the sound to me "remember we were at the end of the runway when the Vulcan took off? Well it was way louder than that!"

The SatV has been the strongest thruster ever made. What's next to get us to Mars and beyond?
We may have shot ourselves in the foot somewhat by banning nukes in space, because they might be just the ticket to drive long-distance space engines.

Yep. Can't see it happening in our crude current era of rockhopping. Once the lateral thinkers get the uranium under command, we'll be away. The resources are there, but not yet a suitable channel.

Part of the problem is getting the nuclear material into space in the first place. Imagine a rocket accidentally exploding on the way up, loaded with uranium. Not good news for the rest of us.

There just isn't enough nuclear material available for such a thing.

Back