Roleplaying

PeniG

Justified & Ancient
I'm not familiar with those two games, but I've been playing tabletop RPGs consistently since 1979. In fact, I was playing Deadlands this afternoon. My schoolmarm, Miss Agnes Cranthorp, attacked an earth monster with a shovel and hollered up the shaft to the claustrophobic frontiersman, Texas Jack: "We need that dynamite down here!"

Call of Cthulhu, played properly, is a brilliant, brilliant, game, but it's hard to sell people on it, especially if they're accustomed to power-fantasy RPGs or computer-based games (which IMHO are far too limited to be roleplaying in any true sense). "Okay, so you should make a back-up character, because the odds of either dying hideously or being rendered too insane to function within a few sessions are high." "Um - pass." "No, no, really! It's very liberating." The lack of reward and absurd highness of the typical states make things like walking straight off skyscraper roofs and hoping you're dreaming, sticking a couple of lit sticks of dynamite into your belt and leaping into the maw of a monster, blowing your cover by pulling a .50 caliber out of your handbag, yelling "Remember the Alamo," and firing pointblank at a cultist who's about to sacrifice a ten-year-old Girl Scout (adult virgins being hard to come by in the Roaring 20s) when outnumbered two dozen to one, etc. into desirable options. If you're going to die anyway, you may as well do it in style!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :)
Staff member
[QUOTE="PeniG]....either dying hideously or being rendered too insane to function... (snip) If you're going to die anyway, you may as well do it in style![/QUOTE]

this pretty well sums up so much! :D

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
I'm not familiar with those two games, but I've been playing tabletop RPGs consistently since 1979. In fact, I was playing Deadlands this afternoon. My schoolmarm, Miss Agnes Cranthorp, attacked an earth monster with a shovel and hollered up the shaft to the claustrophobic frontiersman, Texas Jack: "We need that dynamite down here!"

Call of Cthulhu, played properly, is a brilliant, brilliant, game, but it's hard to sell people on it, especially if they're accustomed to power-fantasy RPGs or computer-based games (which IMHO are far too limited to be roleplaying in any true sense). "Okay, so you should make a back-up character, because the odds of either dying hideously or being rendered too insane to function within a few sessions are high." "Um - pass." "No, no, really! It's very liberating." The lack of reward and absurd highness of the typical states make things like walking straight off skyscraper roofs and hoping you're dreaming, sticking a couple of lit sticks of dynamite into your belt and leaping into the maw of a monster, blowing your cover by pulling a .50 caliber out of your handbag, yelling "Remember the Alamo," and firing pointblank at a cultist who's about to sacrifice a ten-year-old Girl Scout (adult virgins being hard to come by in the Roaring 20s) when outnumbered two dozen to one, etc. into desirable options. If you're going to die anyway, you may as well do it in style!
Haha brilliant!

I'm a big fan of console RPGs, but then I'm a big video game fan full stop.

I always try and play RPGs with a single save, so once you've made a choice you're stuck with it. I never reload an old save, seems like a waste of time if you're going to do that....not really 'role-playing'. Like playing a Choose Your Own Adventure / Fighting Fantasy book with you finger constantly marking the last page you were on....

I think we need a board-funded trip to the States so you can show us how it's done. :)

Monstrosa

Justified & Ancient
You might enjoy Don't Starve, you have one life and once you're dead you're dead.It overwrites the previous save for that life so no going back.

I always try and play RPGs with a single save, so once you've made a choice you're stuck with it. I never reload an old save, seems like a waste of time if you're going to do that....not really 'role-playing'.
One of the reason I'm a fan of ZombiU on the WiiU. You're given a character and the challenge is to hold onto that character for the whole game without them dying. The upside to it is that if your character dies your new character can navigate to where the last character died, find them shuffling around as the undead, take 'em out and then take back the items they were carrying when they bought the farm. To date I've been unable to survive with the same character the whole game always dying in the abandoned nursery down the Mile End.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Ohh, me too.

Im currently consolidating my GW collection...andone with fortean books to trade for metal Eldar??

Password_denied

Devoted Cultist
I used to play once in a while, a long time a go. But now I just collect the older books/games 1st/2nd editions. Easily picked up for a few quid from charity shops etc.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Anecdote: while back in Blighty this summer I called into my local Games Workshop to show Miss Yith the figures. The manager (they're mostly single-staff stores now, I think) came over to give me the whole intro and I told him that I used to work there (actually the shop next door--it moved), but he said point-blank that he didn't believe me! He recognised a couple of names that I mentioned but told me that I wasn't old enough and then cocked an eyebrow when I told him I was in my 40s!

Anyway, here's a bit of a classic.

It was penned for WFRP back in 1987, but it can simply be adapted for any fantasy or medieval setting. The GM has to do some proper planning to make it work, but seeing the players get lost in so many plots in a single locale will be great fun. This is definitely one in which you will want to 'spill the beans' when the game is over to hear the groans of realisation.

A Rough Night At The Three Feathers [click filename to download]

Attachments

wolfie61

Stop pressing the what?
'back in the day' it was D 'n' D, cyberpunk, shadowrun, twilight 2000/merc 2000, gurps, the werewolf/vampire ones (cant remember the names). Then I moved onto 40k, Bolt Action and numerous others including Rogue Trooper (great fun)

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
Both roleplaying and wargaming were cornerstones of my teenage years (along with books, heavy metal and the later ale, they held up the roof of sanity). I bought my first models at age nine and started roleplaying and then live roleplaying at age eleven and twelve, but I've never played more than a handful of D&D sessions (which is the usual point of access to the hobby). My games of choice back in the day were Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia, and later the endlessly-expanding World of Darkness games. Along the way I've played a fair whack of Rolemaster, Middle Earth Roleplaying, Earthdawn, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk and a few other homebrew systems.

Any thoughts?
We are kindred spirits in many regards there Mr Yith, I too was into WFRP it's what the cognescenti enjoyed, D&D was for mere plebeians. I was also into Metal a little later, then ale. And books of course. I suspect most people around here are.

Tragically, I was one of the hardcore weirdos who read the rulebooks for their own sake as none of my friends were into it enough to make the effort to play. By the time I was in mid teens I was just reading the novels/short stories and by the time my late teens dawned I became a Literary Snob for a bit, I read some genre fiction now but no interest in the GW stuff, beyond retaining some childhood affection.

I wandered into a GW shop a couple of years ago with a friend and found I didn't recognise anything, a member of staff wandered over and explained GW have rebooted and rebranded the entirety of their line so they can own the copyright on the names. So dwarfs/dwarves are now "Duardin" and so on. I imagine that had many older roleplayers and a fair few younger ones pulling their hair out.

Krepostnoi

Crabbier than usual
I wandered into a GW shop a couple of years ago with a friend and found I didn't recognise anything, a member of staff wandered over and explained GW have rebooted and rebranded the entirety of their line so they can own the copyright on the names. So dwarfs/dwarves are now "Duardin" and so on. I imagine that had many older roleplayers and a fair few younger ones pulling their hair out.
When GW went all chaos-spiky-bits, it was a sad loss to the hobby, even if their bank managers were rubbing their hands. Warrior Knights and Talisman are stone-cold classic board games (I confess to spending way more time than is healthy playing the Android version of Talisman - recommended, if you don't have enough time sinks in your life already). I confess to a sneaky nostalgia for Battlecars, too - much more playable than Car Wars.

I used to cycle home past Tabletop Games in Nottingham every day, you know *wipes away nostalgic tear*

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
When did it go "all Chaos-spiky-bits"? Chaos was in WFRP in some form or another from the beginning wasn't it?

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
When GW went all chaos-spiky-bits, it was a sad loss to the hobby, even if their bank managers were rubbing their hands. Warrior Knights and Talisman are stone-cold classic board games (I confess to spending way more time than is healthy playing the Android version of Talisman - recommended, if you don't have enough time sinks in your life already). I confess to a sneaky nostalgia for Battlecars, too - much more playable than Car Wars.

I used to cycle home past Tabletop Games in Nottingham every day, you know *wipes away nostalgic tear*
Are there any independant gaming shops left at all?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
The Orc's Nest lives on:

https://www.orcsnest.com

Such happy memories of saving my money for weeks then taking the train up to London: HMV Oxford Street, Games Workshop Trocodero, Virgin Megastore (sizeable roleplaying section plus metal merchandise) and then a yomp across to Orc's Nest with a visit to the Chinese buffet in Leicester Square either before or after. If there's a personal paradise, it may involve my lying in a London park on a summer's afternoon, reading Call of Cthulhu adventures.

It's funny, but when you never had enough money for all you wanted and had to make those agonising decisions (a new Mission T-shirt, two blisters of chaos terminators or a Gaslight supplement), the final product seemed so much more precious once you finally had it in you hands.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
The Orc's Nest lives on:

https://www.orcsnest.com

Such happy memories of saving my money for weeks then taking the train up to London: HMV Oxford Street, Games Workshop Trocodero, Virgin Megastore (sizeable roleplaying section plus metal merchandise) and then a yomp across to Orc's Nest with a visit to the Chinese buffet in Leicester Square either before or after. If there's a personal paradise, it may involve my lying in a London park on a summer's afternoon, reading Call of Cthulhu adventures.

It's funny, but when you never had enough money for all you wanted and had to make those agonising decisions (a new Mission T-shirt, two blisters of chaos terminators or a Gaslight supplement), the final product seemed so much more precious once you finally had it in you hands.
...jumpers for goalposts...

I've been past ON umpteen times but only in a couple of times. It was a mythical place for me as a child/young teen growing up in Wales away from from the Bright Lights/Big Smoke.

Krepostnoi

Crabbier than usual
When did it go "all Chaos-spiky-bits"? Chaos was in WFRP in some form or another from the beginning wasn't it?
I daresay it was, although I never had that much exposure to WFRP, and having to throw gurt handfuls of d6 for the wargaming side put me off that aspect of it, too. But I dimly recall, probably in the early/mid-80s, Warhammer still had pretensions of being a "serious" (yeah, I know) fantasy wargame. Then, in either White Dwarf or one of the Citadel Miniatures catalogues, to great fanfare, they introduced the idea of chaos mutations, which ushered in the era of the dreaded "spiky bits". I can still remember the illustration of a headless goblin with its face in its stomach and a prehensile tale holding a mace. I may even have bought the miniature. Was there a double-headed troll, as well?

So there was this aesthetic decision taken, and it did seem to be accompanied by a dumbing-down of gameplay mechanics. Battlecars was a fun, dumb, boardgame that would help you pass an hour or so in an entertaining way. Dark Future, its successor, just seemed to be a cynical marketing exercise to set up future model lines and expansion packs, and it died a quick and well-merited death.

It's odd - I used to enjoy playing Reaper and Laserburn, which were clearly the spiritual ancestors of Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, if not the literal forebears: I think some of the authors of the first moved on to write for the second. While I did also get into historical wargaming, I didn't get all snobby about fantasy and sci-fi games per se: I'd regularly play all 3, and despite all the paperwork and counters involved I was always up for a game of Car Wars - and you certainly couldn't accuse Steve Jackson Games of being shy over releasing expansion packs... So my condescension only really used to appear around Warhammer. I wonder why that was.

ETA - as always, I posted before I googled. Here's a link to the two creatures I referred to in my first paragraph.

ZygorSnakeArms.png

And it seems the First Citadel Compendium dates all the way back to 1983. Judicious use of search engine services will bring you the full text in all its glory, but I presume I'd better not provide a direct link.

Last edited: