• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Roman Soldiers At The Treasurer's House, York

@Ghost In The Machine
the closed restaurant wouldnt be "La Piazza" by any chance? That's close to the Minster and closed a few years back. The last I heard it was being sold.

For us spook chasers, we'd jump at the chance to stay or eat in a haunted pub/restaurant/hotel but the proprietors don't see it that way. I was told recently by one guy that they feared it could damage their wedding business. And a few others have said they don't want to be associated at all with the paranormal.

@Ghost In The Machine
the closed restaurant wouldnt be "La Piazza" by any chance? That's close to the Minster and closed a few years back. The last I heard it was being sold.

For us spook chasers, we'd jump at the chance to stay or eat in a haunted pub/restaurant/hotel but the proprietors don't see it that way. I was told recently by one guy that they feared it could damage their wedding business. And a few others have said they don't want to be associated at all with the paranormal.
LOL I could take you to it but I can't remember the name of it. (It's changed hands since this family owned it, maybe multiple times, am not sure. I hardly get into town since covid but last time I walked past, it was still a restaurant but I don't know the name of it now).

I'd have thought ghosts would be good for business, tbh - seeing how good the Ghost Merchants are doing on The Shambles! Wedding business might be different, of course. I know a couple people who volunteer as medieval people at a place that is now sometimes a wedding venue - will have to ask them if they've experienced anything there!

I've attached a little map showing where it is (on Goodramgate):

HauntedYork.jpg

I think he went public with the story at the time, but it's one of these that bubbles away in the background, getting raised every few years as 'proof' of ghosts, or when York fancies another go at being 'Most Haunted City in Britain' or the like. Nationwide used to do bits like this, was that where you saw it?
Ah, sorry, I missed your question - but, yes, it was definitely on Nationwide now I think about it!

I like the way Nationwide has become ‘Boomer Memory Hole’.

Not the building society and its advertising. That’s more Doggerel Bank.
I loved Nationwide. It was fun. I was a bit sad when they stopped broadcasting it.
I even met Michael Barratt briefly, when I was a kid. I was with my friend and his mum walking around Bracknell, and she recognised Barratt. When we walked away, I asked if she knew him because she'd greeted him like an old friend. My friend's mum laughed and said that everyone knew who he was.

I loved Nationwide. It was fun. I was a bit sad when they stopped broadcasting it.
I even met Michael Barratt briefly, when I was a kid. I was with my friend and his mum walking around Bracknell, and she recognised Barratt. When we walked away, I asked if she knew him because she'd greeted him like an old friend. My friend's mum laughed and said that everyone knew who he was.

Michael Barratt is still alive! He's 94!

As a kid I loved Nationwide and when older was in a club and saw Frank Bough and was starstruck but something didn't seem right about him wearing suspenders.

The very best Nationwide item was them trailing the story that they’d be showing a man who could walk on water and jump on eggs without breaking them. We waited and waited until….

https://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/the-finest-moment-in-the-history-of-british-television/85117389/

His ‘Walking on Water’ involved a similar technique on the washing-up bowl of water you see at the side there. Still. His achievement has not been forgotten.

For the double, I’m going for ‘Sue Lawley’ as a Mondegreen for the Police.
Don’t say I don’t give you value for money.

Last edited:
I visited the Treasurer's House a couple of years ago. Didn't witness anything special. However, while I was touring around upstairs, looking at a an old chair, a museum staff approached me from behind and asked me : "Did you see the old lady" ? I wondered what she was talking about. I hadn't seen anybody, as the place was quite empty. So she added : "Oh sometimes people see an old lady, in a beautiful dress, sitting in this chair. It is quite common with little children". Obviously I was no longer a child. Fortunately, I had already got used to this for about 30 years.

Did anybody see the Treasurer's house upstairs' ghost ? Did you still have a pure child's mind ? :)

I visited the Treasurer's House a couple of years ago. Didn't witness anything special. However, while I was touring around upstairs, looking at a an old chair, a museum staff approached me from behind and asked me : "Did you see the old lady" ? I wondered what she was talking about. I hadn't seen anybody, as the place was quite empty. So she added : "Oh sometimes people see an old lady, in a beautiful dress, sitting in this chair. It is quite common with little children". Obviously I was no longer a child. Fortunately, I had already got used to this for about 30 years.

Did anybody see the Treasurer's house upstairs' ghost ? Did you still have a pure child's mind ? :)
But now you will never be able to visit that chair without thinking about the ghost of an old lady.... smart of the staff to prime expectation!

But now you will never be able to visit that chair without thinking about the ghost of an old lady.... smart of the staff to prime expectation!
You can even call a member of staff aside and say something like "Excuse me, could you bring a glass of water, I don't think the old lady in the chair is feeling very well" ;)

It's even worse. Now anybody reading this thread may expect to see the ghostly lady in the Treasurer's House. And since the thread is about the Roman soldiers, perhaps some will actually see a Roman soldier resting on a 18th century chair and addressing the passer-by : "O Caius, is that you ? I was so tired to march in the basement that I went upstairs to share a cup of coloured hot water with this youngster, the old lady with a bizarre dress. Can you imagine she never tasted garum ? By Jupiter ! She doesn't know what she misses !"

Back