• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Romans In Britain

A

Anonymous

The romans didnt fear the scots+irish in particular they just never quite got round to conquering them as there wasnt much wealth in Scotland to be had and the landscape didnt suit their economic system. Also the conquest of Britain was the highwater mark of the empire's expansionist phase. Hadrians wall was in part a defensive structure but its only about 8 feet tall, recent historians think of it more as a civilising influence on both sides of the border, a kind of "roman shopping mall"

I think you will also find that the Romans did infact fear the picts and there are many legends in which whole legions disappeared without a trace in Caledonia.

The romans made many successful expeditions not just beyond hadrians wall but beyond the Antonine wall as far north as Perthshire. Missing 9th (5th?) legion did return to York and later got anhilated in Germania, thats the only legend I know of.
I dont deny there were soldiers there but the main use of the wall was as a centre of "romanitas", the Antonine wall serving a more defensive purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
durriti said:
The romans made many successful expeditions not just beyond hadrians wall but beyond the Antonine wall as far north as Perthshire. Missing 9th (5th?) legion did return to York and later got anhilated in Germania, thats the only legend I know of.
I dont deny there were soldiers there but the main use of the wall was as a centre of "romanitas", the Antonine wall serving a more defensive purchase.

oh is that so? is this map wrong then??
look at this map
I was always under the impression that hadrians wall was built first to defend the romans against the picts and then after they where brave enuff to venture further forward they built the Antonine wall .. but then again what do i know?!? youve obviously looked into this subject alot more than i have, i bet you have watched Gladiator more than 3 times.

A lengthy article which may be of interest:

Roman Empire Strikes Back

Source: heritagedaily.com
Date: 6 March, 2020

The accepted date for the collapse of the Western Roman Empire was approximately 476 CE, when the last true Roman Emperor Romulus was overthrown by Odoacer, the Germanic leader who became the first Barbarian to rule Rome.

As the sun was setting on the west, in the east an enduring legacy carried on with the Byzantine Empire, otherwise known as the Eastern Roman Empire.

The Eastern Empire was spared many of the difficulties faced by the west, in part to an established centre of trade, greater financial resources and investment in defending its borders through both construction projects, diplomacy and tributes. The borders of the Empire evolved significantly over time, as it went through several cycles of decline and recovery.

Whilst never fully matching the glory of Imperial Rome in terms of territories in Byzantine control, the Eastern Empire would still grow to become one of the most powerful economic, cultural and military forces across Europe.

It wasn’t until the reign of Justinian I that thoughts turned to “renovatio imperii” – restoration of the Empire. The Byzantines still referred to their empire as “Imperium Romanum” (Roman Empire) and to themselves as “Roman”.

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2020/03/roman-empire-strikes-back/118039

Back