• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Romero's Dead Films

I saw Day for the first time ever a few days ago, and there's sdome interesting comments in the film regarding "smart zombies". The Jamacan guy mentions that he's even seen one trying to drive a car. Beats running, right?

And did anyone else think the lead military guy looked just like Bono from U2?

'Smarter' zombies are the way the movies where heading anyway (surely that's the point of Bud in Dawn?) and I always felt that the subtext was that they would end up forming the next civalisation.

BTW: the dead where reanimated by radiation from a probe from...I think it was Venis reentering Earth's atmosphere (it's in the news reports in Night.)

4 discs?!? My Dawn of the Dead DVD has but ONE!

THREE! Count them, THREE! versions of the film and a reprint of issue one of the comic book (I didn't even know there was a comic book). Plus whatever the other things on the fourth bonus disc all in glorious DTS too.

I'm drooling already.

To Hell with the budget I just placed my order.

The Zombies Brought Him: George Romero Is Back

By LEWIS BEALE

Published: November 3, 2004

George A. Romero, grand master of the undead, was not pleased with the quality of fear showing on a pair of extras, costumed as security guards, in the face of an invading zombie army here last week. "These guys aren't acting like there's a war going on," Mr. Romero moaned, after directing perhaps the 10th take of what should have been a two-take shot. "Can we rehearse them, please?"

If anyone knows what film terror should look like, it is Mr. Romero. In 1968, he reinvented the horror genre with his "Night of the Living Dead," a cult classic that made its way onto the prestigious National Film Registry of the Library of Congress. His subsequent career had its ups and downs. Of the dozen pictures he later directed, none matched the status of his first, and the last of them, "Bruiser," went straight to video in the United States.

Like one of his own unstoppable zombies, however, Mr. Romero, now 65, is back. He is in Toronto directing a fourth installment of his "Living Dead" series, called "Land of the Dead. " And with support from Universal Pictures, he is riding a wave partly of his own making.

Horror films in general, and zombie flicks in particular, are in vogue at the moment. In the past year alone, four medium- to low-budget zombie movies - Zack Snyder's remake of Mr. Romero's 1978 "Dawn of the Dead" for Universal, the zombie spoof "Shaun of the Dead" (Focus Features), "28 Days Later" (Fox Searchlight) and "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" (Sony Pictures) - have taken in more than 5 million at the North American box office.

In the last two weeks, Sarah Michelle Gellar's unheralded horror movie "The Grudge" has taken in million for Columbia Pictures, while "Saw" (Lions Gate), another relatively inexpensive bloodfest, had more than million in ticket sales last weekend. Sequels to both "Saw'' and "28 Days Later" have already been announced, and at least two other zombie movies, including a Dutch-produced film featuring Nazi undead, are in the works.

A tall, shaggy bear of a man with a beard, ponytail and oversize, square black glasses, Mr. Romero believes the current revival says more about Hollywood than the culture at large. "If one horror film hits,'' he said in an interview, "everyone says, 'Let's go make a horror film.' It's the genre that never dies.'' In addition, he said, he thinks the "Resident Evil'' video games "woke everyone up."

But others see larger forces at work. John Leguizamo, who co-stars in "Land of the Dead" with Dennis Hopper, Simon Baker and Asia Argento, said he believed the renewed popularity of horror "has to do with our times, when things are unsure, and there's so much violence in places like Iraq."

Indeed, Mr. Romero - who spoofed consumer culture in "Dawn of the Dead" and informed the original "Night of the Living Dead" with eerie echoes of the Vietnam War and 60's racial violence - consciously redesigned his new film to accommodate post-9/11 fears about terrorism, after studios rejected his initial script as too downbeat in the immediate aftermath of the 2001 terrorist attacks.

"The idea of living with terrorism - I've tried to make it more applicable to the concerns Americans are going through now," Mr. Romero said. The reworked script immediately attracted attention from 20th Century Fox. But negotiations dragged on for a year, until the producer Mark Canton had lunch with Mr. Romero's agent and asked about the director.

"After all these decades, he has figured out the final story in the zombie marathon," Mr. Canton recalls being told. "I read the script, and said I wanted to do it. As soon as the news got out, Universal called me right away. They were on fire about it. It came together that fast." The deal, in fact, was sealed in one month, with Universal retaining distribution rights on the million picture.

In the new story, Mr. Romero said, "the fat cats live" in a high-security complex called Fiddler's Green, which the director is conjuring inside BCE Place, an indoor office and shopping mall here with a futuristic, vaulted ceiling that makes it look like a true cathedral of commerce. On the outside, zombie hordes roam almost unimpeded throughout the earth.

"People are aware of what's going on outside," Mr. Romero said, "and they're willing to listen to a government entity calling Fiddler's Green a safe haven, but it's not really providing everything they need. So some of the protagonists have to go out into the real world to get things like food - and deodorant."

As Mr. Romero's first "undead" film in 20 years, "Land of the Dead," which will most likely be released next summer, is already mobilizing a fan base that has been hungering for the director's special brand of bloodshed. Anticipation, said Tony Timpone, editor of the horror magazine Fangoria, is "extremely high."

"All the other zombie films are just a warmup for Romero's zombie film," Mr. Timpone said. "George is the godfather of the zombie movie."

At 2 a.m., "lunch time" on the 12th of 33 consecutive night shoots, Mr. Romero's immediate concern over the lackluster security guards has been solved: he has decided to eliminate the shot, to cut instead to zombies breaking the windows of Fiddler's Green, and then cut back to an interior shot of civilians and security personnel fleeing from the rampaging undead.

As for future prospects, Mr. Romero was reasonably upbeat. "Will this be a calling card?'' he said. "It might be."

"If this film opens big, the phone's going to be ringing off the hook - not necessarily for the right stuff, though," said Mr. Romero, who says he has turned down his share of projects about "guys with hockey masks and knives."

"But I might be able to sell some of my other ideas."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/03/movies/03zomb.html

I'm going to be an anorak.

'The Infected' in 28 Days Later aren't zombies, they're not dead and have never been dead, the infection is killing them slowly as is seen at the end of the film but they're still alive.

As for Resident Evil: Apocashits don't even get me started on that steaming heap of pig bile.

Free NotLD

Just picked this up elsewhere.

If you are in the UK go here:

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/index.php?page=BensonsWorld

Clink the link, click on the box cover and fill in your name and address and confirm it.

You should now have your very own copy of this classic winging its way to your door.

As I've said it is public domain and can be downloaded form here but its an absolute classic so get it now while you can!!!

[edit: In case anyone asks I can't see a catch although I'm sure they will send you some more junk mail.

As we've discussed elsewhere these PD films can now be produced for pennies and so it is quite a nifty scheme for promotion - they do have some good prices on their DVDs - both Versus and Battle Royale are far cheaper than I've seen elsewhere in the UK so they might have got themselves a customer at some point in the future ;) ]

[edit2: I'm inofmred it has been run beofre and the DVD should arrive fine - it is probably the redone version with those crappy bits stuck on and it doesn't come in a box but what do you want for free!!! ]

Romero also made a film about quasi-zombies, The Crazies (1973). People in a small town become infected with a top secret bioweapon that turns them into mindless murdering maniacs. Generally disappointing.
The theme of disease-ridden almost-zombies was also explored in Cronenberg's equally-disappointing Rabid (1977), unsuspecting people become infected with a disease that, well you know, foaming at the mouth and biting and yowling, etc.

dreeness said:
Romero also made a film about quasi-zombies, The Crazies (1973). People in a small town become infected with a top secret bioweapon that turns them into mindless murdering maniacs. Generally disappointing.

Yep it often gets included in lists of zombie movies (e.g. its not in the Zombie Movie Encyclopedia but it is The Dead Walk) as it touches on similar themes.

His Creepshow:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0083767/

also touches on the same territory as you might expect as it is a tribute to EC Comics which were very influential on his films.

Done.

Hmm, I wonder if this is because of Land Of The Dead filming? A few days ago, I got given a copy of Night Of The Living Dead by a friend - it had been given away free with the News Of The World. That, however, was the colourised version (I've not watched the DVD yet, but if it's the same as my video version, then Ben will spend about half the film coloured purple).

This one won't be the new edition with the extra footage, if the info given on that page is accurate, because it's listed as running 95 minutes. The original is 96 and the 30th anniversay edition is 92.

River_Styx said:
Question. If he wanted to make a zombie movie then why not just go out and make one like Romero did?

Answer. He wants the money and big bucks associated with making a high profile film.

Actually, he'd been trying to get this film made for yonks, but noone was interested. Eventually, after there was something of a new zombie craze, the studio greenlit the film, but only if the middle was re-written to take place in a mall and if it was touted as a remake of Dawn Of The Dead. Even then, it only had a budget of a million. He only agreed to this because it simply wouldn't have got made otherwise.

Oh, and having read all of this thread now, I've got two comments to make. First, Sarah Polley is gorgeous.

Second, Return Of The Living Dead Part 3 is the best of the series, with the first one second, and the 2nd really quite low down the list. It's good in a Troma-esque way, but there's far too many scenes of people shouting at each other in lieu of actually being funny.

Oh and, FWIW, rumour has it that Return Of The Living Dead 4 and 5 are being filmed back-to-back. They should be comedy again, and will feature (wait for it) running zombies doing kung-fu. Really.

What the world needs now is Godzilla vs Zombie-Rodan.
:)

Seems ot be a trend for newspaper articles about the reporter being an extra in a major zombie movie - first RotLD 4 and now Land of the Dead:

Posted 12/1/2004 9:58 PM Updated 12/2/2004 11:09 AM

'I was a middle-aged zombie'

By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY

TORONTO — My body is shivering hard enough to qualify as an aerobic activity. It's freezing outside. But that doesn't discourage a horde of what appear to be homeless people, in dire need of plastic surgery and a tanning booth, from gathering on a downtown side street this Saturday night.

I don't look too hot, either. My secondhand outfit of wrinkled cargo pants, tattered dirt-blue sweater and too-big sneakers could have been plucked from a roadside mud puddle. My hair is caked with goo. But my face is the real disaster, blood-splattered and pitted with rot. (Related gallery: Witness Susan Wloszczyna's, um, makeover)

I'm in a zombie movie. Not just any zombie movie, but Land of the Dead, directed and written by a man who has done more for the deceased than embalming fluid, Forest Lawn and HBO's Six Feet Under put together. To be in a George Romero zombie film, his first in almost 20 years, is like being in a Clint Eastwood Western or a Martin Scorsese gangster epic. It doesn't get much better than this.

I do have to contend with a hideous beak that monopolizes my cadaverous features and reminds me of the Wicked Witch's nose in The Wizard of Oz — after she melted. The cold air causes my own nose to run non-stop, and I dab gingerly lest stray bits of tissue cling to my spongy nasal passages. Almost as disconcerting are the full-eye contact lenses that I am required to wear to earn a camera close-up.

Having spent nearly an hour and 45 minutes in a makeup chair, breathing in noxious paint and glue fumes, I woozily rush onto the set to claim a spot. We wait. And wait some more. Someone comes by to spray mint-flavored black dye on my teeth for that dental-nightmare look. After a couple of rehearsals, a man with a megaphone at last shouts out these words of inspiration: "Remember, you're angry, you're hungry, you're dead, and all you want to do is eat human flesh."

Then he adds, "Action!"

We shamble forth en masse. Afterward, I sidle up to my fellow extras, assure them that behind this vile visage is a respectable reporter and ask a few questions. I quickly discern a distinct division among the 90 or so zombies: die-hard fans, who consider the experience a labor of love, and working stiffs, out to make a relatively easy buck. A non-union zombie can collect $9 an hour, and $158 for a minimum eight hours if union.

Getting inside a zombie's head

Falling firmly into the first camp is a blood-streaked trio from Austin. Eric Vespe, 23, and his married friends, Aaron and Michaela McGuffey, both 26, are budding filmmakers. Their vampire short, Blind, attracted the services of Greg Nicotero, the head effects-and-makeup wizard on Land of the Dead. "When we heard he was doing this," Vespe says, "we were just like, 'Zombie duty!' He said come on up, we did, and he threw stuff on our face and made us look dead."

Michaela is a bit of a zombie-come-lately. "I wasn't into horror films until I started dating my husband." Now she isn't just into them, she is in one of them.

Landmarks of the 'Dead'

Land of the Dead grandly expands George Romero's zombie universe into an entire cityscape. Protected behind a massive barricade are the human survivors, including Simon Baker of TV's The Guardian and Asia Argento of XXX, who are rapidly depleting while the ever-evolving zombies now number thousands (digital zombies will fill in the blanks) and are learning to use weapons.

The budget is one of Romero's biggest at about $17 million, which is puny for anyone else, although financial concerns nixed the tradition of filming the zombie action in Pittsburgh.

But the trademarks that make Romero's monsters a superior breed remain:

They move slowly. Always. Never mind those MTV-era turbo creatures in 28 Days Later or the Dawn of the Dead remake.

They are fed up. Romero's cannibalistic zombies may not hurry, but they are relentless and increasingly aggressive, unlike those subservient voodoo-controlled sleepwalkers of early cinematic lore.

They can be stopped. Remember, there is only one way to halt them. As they say in Night of the Living Dead, "Kill the brain, and you kill the ghoul." A bullet in the head is most effective.

— Susan Wloszczyna

"I jumped at the chance to be a Romero zombie," Aaron adds. "It's not just about flash and gore. He puts a lot of heart into it."

Yes, and other eviscerated organs. Vespe, a contributor to the Web site Ain't It Cool News whose nom de Net is Quint, passes along these pointers for fledgling fiends: "Don't walk like Frankenstein. Everyone seems to do that. And no re-enacting the swim," which he demonstrates by rotating his arms in aquatic fashion. Instead, he says, "be very drunk and sleepy."

I stare at the tall, reed-thin gent behind me with wispy gray hair. He exudes grandfatherly ghoulishness. Asked how he is doing, Peter Schoelier, 60, of Kitchener, Ontario, gummily replies, "I'm enjoying it." He plops his teeth back in, the better to explain how he got his first movie job. "They said I have the perfect face for this role." His motivation is simple: "I'm looking for brains to eat."

As for my reason for hunting for human snacks, well, I admit it is strange that a middle-aged woman who hardly ever goes out in public minus mascara and lip gloss has sublimated her vanity for the sake of imitating a moldy corpse.

But I hungrily plotted for this opportunity ever since learning that Romero was adding a fourth chapter to his skin-crawling saga about the recently expired coming back to life that began with 1968's cult classic Night of the Living Dead. Then there was the second, gorier helping, 1979's Dawn of the Dead. But the genre was all but laid to rest after 1985's Day of the Dead.

Who would have guessed a new day would dawn for the movie dead? First there was video-game-inspired Resident Evil in 2002, followed by the Brit hit 28 Days Later the next year. After the remake of Dawn of the Dead opened at No. 1 this past spring, Romero, who last directed the straight-to-video Bruiser in 2000, was about to see his career resurrected as well.

Expectations run high for Romero's first zombie effort distributed by a major studio, Universal, which has claimed the prime release date of Oct. 21, 2005, right near Halloween. Says Universal vice chairman Marc Shmuger, "When we read in Variety that Atmosphere (a production company) was setting up a new George Romero zombie picture, I called Mark (Canton, co-founder of Atmosphere) within seconds of finishing the article."

My personal obsession with the filmmaker's grisly fantasies began as a teen in the early '70s when I was introduced to the frightful delights of Night of the Living Dead at a suburban Buffalo drive-in. As a handful of humans took shelter in a farmhouse while zombies loomed, I was transfixed by the amateurish yet compelling performances and the shadowy terrors.

Some jokers abandoned their cars and began to imitate the toddler gait of the zombies, tapping on our windows. Never, ever had I been more scared. At home, I begged my pal Tom to help me check on my sleeping parents to make sure they weren't eaten, too. They were, of course, unmunched. But I was consumed by zombie desire and craved more. Now, I am finally getting my fill.

I find my zombie zealot match in Nicotero, who got his start doing effects on Day of the Dead and who has gone on to work with the best in the biz, from Quentin Tarantino (both Kill Bill movies) to Sam Raimi (Army of Darkness).

The onetime pre-med student, 41, turned down the chance to do Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds to reteam with the 64-year-old horror master. His most surprising revelation: Romero doesn't bother to direct the zombies.

"If you have 60 people dress like zombies and you show them something that you like, you get 60 people doing the exact same thing," he explains. "My opinion of a good zombie walk is to loll your head as if it's a little too heavy and the muscles have begun to atrophy." I tuck the handy advice away.

My second scene is about to start. We are asked who among us has been fitted for lenses, and I raise my hand along with extra Michael Abrams, 32, of Toronto. We're trotted off to get our creepy peepers, which cause us to be half-blind as we stumble back to the street.

Besides stopping me from falling off curbs, Abrams tells me how to find your mark — pick an object as a guide to return to after each take. At least the lenses keep me focused as I hang my head and scowl menacingly while keeping pace with my silent brethren.

My taste of immortality

I feel good about this effort. Sure enough, one of the producers later informs me that, after watching the playback, Romero told him, "I want to give her a feeding scene."

Victory is mine. However, it's 11 p.m. and that means lunch. And a quick bathroom break. As I reach for the door, a woman comes out and jumps back. "You scared me," she says nervously. Her words are like an Oscar to my bruised purply ears. I look in the mirror as I wash my hands. I scare myself.

I then get an audience with Romero, my idol. He greets me warmly and shares his take on zombies: "They are just us with quirks." We chat for a while before he does a double-take and says with a snort, "It is so weird talking to a zombie." Which is like a second Oscar.

The moment comes for my "gag," or stunt. It's not so much a feeding as feeding foreplay: another female zombie and I must attack a human. Albert, aka our designated dinner, turns out to be a geek of annoying proportions as he counts down out loud how many hours are left before he can buy the DVD of The Chronicles of Riddick. Not even Vin Diesel's mother should be this eager. Then he brags about how he has found his mark. I want to say, "I've found my mark, too, and you are it, dead meat."

I enter the zombie zone and before I realize it, it is 4:30 a.m. Quitting time. Off I go to be stripped of the muck on my face, which lasts about an hour and 15 minutes.

Exhausted, I drive 90 minutes to my parents' home outside Buffalo. The sun rises as I cross the bridge. As the customs inspector quizzes me, I decide it wise to skip the deadly details of my visit. He asks what I do for a living. "I'm a reporter," I say. "Where?" "USA TODAY."

"Wow," he exclaims. "Is it fun?"

I flash my best zombie smile, remnants of dye still staining my teeth, and say: "You have no idea."

Source

Gallery from USAToday

Another gallery of pictures

I wanna be a zombie!!!

Has it been mentioned that Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright are zombie extras in the film, after Romero liked Shaun Of The Dead? No?

Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright are zombie extras in the film, after Romero liked Shaun Of The Dead.

Roy Frumkes, the Director of "Document of the Dead":

www.imdb.com/title/tt0173771/

the documentary about the making of Dawn of the Dead has been invited onto the set of Land of the Dead where he is amking a new one about the new film. He has written a report here:

www.cinemaeye.com/index.php/weblog/more/974/

-----------
Nice bit of Fortean trivia from the Document of the Dead IMDB entry:

While editing the movie, the creators discovered that 10% of the negative from the original footage, including 66 shots, had disappeared. When the filmmakers didn't get a response from the New York school of visual arts, director Roy Frumkes resorted to contacting a psychic therapist (Nancy Orlen Weber) to see if she could help. Though she suspected most of the missing film had been maliciously destroyed, she did pick up on the fact one small roll of film had been misplaced at the Technicolor laboratory. It was not until years later a can of film resurfaced, where it had been stored under the wrong title was the film finally edited and put on the market.

Re: Free NotLD

Emperor said:
Just picked this up elsewhere.

If you are in the UK go here:

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/index.php?page=BensonsWorld

Clink the link, click on the box cover and fill in your name and address and confirm it.

You should now have your very own copy of this classic winging its way to your door.

As I've said it is public domain and can be downloaded form here but its an absolute classic so get it now while you can!!!

[edit: In case anyone asks I can't see a catch although I'm sure they will send you some more junk mail.

As we've discussed elsewhere these PD films can now be produced for pennies and so it is quite a nifty scheme for promotion - they do have some good prices on their DVDs - both Versus and Battle Royale are far cheaper than I've seen elsewhere in the UK so they might have got themselves a customer at some point in the future ;) ]

[edit2: I'm inofmred it has been run beofre and the DVD should arrive fine - it is probably the redone version with those crappy bits stuck on and it doesn't come in a box but what do you want for free!!! ]

Got the DVD today in the post - it is only the disc but hey its free ;)

Romero's Land Of The Dead

Land Of the Dead
So this must be someway through production judging by some of the photo's and stories appearing on the net, including a pissed up Simon Pegg and Edger Wright on set (they're extras) meeting Dario Argento's lovley daughter Asia. I know the outline of the story but what is the coup regarding the masses of zombies becoming more intelligent-like how intelligent...i trust Romero implicitly with zombie stuff, but what does he have up his sleeve. Also how long after Day of the Dead is this...someone mentioned Land is 3 years after Dawn, but surely Day is about 3 years after Dawn, anyone with a definative timeline.....Oh and lets not get bothered about the dodgy "sequel" to Day of the Dead called Contaguim or something it looks appalling, dunno about the Return of the Living dead sequels 4 and 5, one looks kinda of OK (i.e not the one set in a rave). I've never really minded O'Bannons/Russo's ROTLD 1, i just saw it as parrell future to Night of the Living dead....however I have a major issue with the Night of the Living Dead reissue with added bits and that utterly horrendus "sequel" Children Of the Living Dead-oh my gawd!!

Redneck: I'm currently doing my level best to avoid most of the spoilers but from what I hear it seems like there will be no attempt to make them fast zombies (in fact they will largely be more rotten than previously and hence less agile) but they might be a bit smarter carrying on the story arc from Bub in Day of the Dead.

My main concerns are that there is such high expectations for a new Romero film that he can't possibly deliver but zombie films are hot at the moment and I bet it'll do well whatever (his name will guarantee good box office) and so thats why I'm avoiding getting excited too early so I can enjoy all the more ;)

There is also talk of a (now lets see if I can get this right) Dawn of the Dead 2004 2 film - its enough to make one's head spin. :spinning

Emperor, Tell me about it, I for one welcome a sequel to Zack Synders Reimagining of Dawn,I thought it was brilliant and inspired ( i wish the soundtrack was availible) and he is at the helm of the sequel, which he himself thought would be a reimagineing of Day, but was specifically told by TPTB that it was going to be a whole new sequel!
I understand the whole premise with Bub etc but can't get my head around exactly HOW intelligent thses new zombies will be, I mean turning handles on doors due to past life instinct is probaly pushing it to far for me (this is apperantly the level of intelligence he means) but hey. its Romero, the Godfather of the Zombie movie. I kinda like the idea the zombies are going to be really really rotten but that will but the FX budget up 2 fold surely...anyways we will all have to wait and see.
I hope it does do well at the box office, I feel a little less optimistic,thinking that Romero is really a fanboy favorite and the masses couldn't give a shit.....I guess if its a fantastic film in its own right it will have a fighting chance (not to mention a great publicity department)

We'll have to see how well he does it I suppose - as long as he stops short of "Send more cops". Lets be honest velociraptors were able to use simple door handles that in Jurrasic Park ;)

I also hear that it might also have a dig at the post-911 Fortess America mentality I just hope its not laid on too thick ;)

In an interview on the City of the Dead game Romero is helping to develop he mentions the possibility that they are already planning for a fifth Dead movie:

Your zombie movies often see prominent characters eventually dying yet, in videogames, the players objective is commonly to keep people alive, What's your take on this apparent conflict?

I don't think it's a conflict. I've kept people alive since Dawn and, in the film I'm finishing now I conciosly kept some humans and zombies alive so I could continue their story. This will have a much bigger release than any of my other films. If it's lucky enough to be a hit, they're going to want to see a sequel so I left it open that way.

Source

I suspect if Land of the Dead does well the sequel will be produced relatively quickly and it sounds like he will break with tradition and possibly bring some of the characters back in the sequel. They'll probably want to cash in on the current boom in interest.

Remember when video recorders started to become the latest rage in the late 70's/early 80's.
As expected all the experts warned us against the terrible and disgusting movies people would be able to watch.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre was one of the first movies the media and the experts warned us against.

When the movie became available on DVD I finally purchased it and got to see it.
Can't say I was too shocked.

Seems like Land has been bumped up the schedules to a June release:

Our scoop has been confirmed over on Universal's official website that George Romero's Land of the Dead was moved up to a June 24th release from it's originally planned October 21st date (which we first rumored here along with reshoot news). In Romero's new pic, the zombies having taken over the world and those left alive are confined to a walled-in city that keeps out the corpse corps. Anarchy rules the streets, with the wealthy insulated and living in fortified skyscrapers. Drama revolves around a group of scavengers who must thwart an attempt to overthrow the city while the dead are evolving from brainless slow-moving creatures into more advanced creatures. Doom will take the place of Land on October 21st.

www.bloody-disgusting.com/index.php?Sho ... e=newsfull

I don't know much about movie release times but I assume this means either they got it finished early or the Universal execs have decided to put it out in the Summer to get maximum returns.

The trailer for Land is out:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/georgea ... edead.html

And Empire have a rundown

www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsst ... s_id=16748

which held this interesting little nugget:

If you think that shots showing the zombies invading the community are spoilerific, well, they’re not – if the zombies didn’t invade, there would be no movie. However, word to the wise – if you slow the trailer down, frame by frame, there is an almighty spoiler in there. And we mean almighty – we’re talking third act stuff here. So by all means watch the trailer, but proceed with caution.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The trailer makes me cringe a bit, but I'll probably be eating my words (or brains).....the zombies look awful, I think it has the feel of Ghost of Mars..remember that little nugget from once seminal horror director John Carpenter...believe me I really do want this film to be great, i've been waiting for it since mid 80's fors godsake!!

I think the trailer may be aimed at the fiar weather film fans so its probably wise to wait for the film if you want the full on zombie action.

There are more pictures available around:

www.moviesonline.ca/movie_gallery_pic.php?id=1

Including Tom Savini's zombified Blades:
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie_pic.php?id=3049

Is that a zombie hanging around in the background with his hands in his pockets???

--------------
Anyway the premiere:

Romero's Zombies Hit Vegas

Tue, May 10, 2005, 10:05 AM PT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com)- "George Romero's Land of the Dead," the latest zombie epic from genre godfather George Romero will close the CineVegas Film Festival in Las Vegas on Saturday, June 18.

The screening of the film will mark its world premiere and will be attended by the director and some of his stars. The Universal Pictures release is scheduled to hit theaters around the country on Friday, June 24.

"George Romero's groundbreaking films fused un-dead terror with social commentary to create an entirely new genre --- 'The Zombie Movie," says Trevor Groth, the festival's director. "They have inspired some of the greatest horror directors of all time and have garnered him a rabidly devout fan base. CineVegas is truly honored to be able to present the world premiere of his newest film that is destined to become another classic."

In addition to screening Romero's new opus, CineVegas will present the director with the Vanguard Director Award, which "celebrates a director whose compelling visions and groundbreaking style challenge convention and whose distinctive films are at the forefront of cinematic innovation." David Lynch and Julian Schnabel are among the previous winners.

A follow-up to Romero's classics "Night of the Living Dead," "Dawn of the Dead" and "Day of the Dead," "Land of the Dead" stars Asia Argento, Simon Baker, Dennis Hopper and John Leguizamo. The film is currently in post-production.

Source

Back