• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Romero's Dead Films

Zombies Explained:
Wed Jun 10 2009,

"In Night of the Living Dead, zombies are brought back from the dead by a "mysterious force" that allows their brains to continue functioning. But how exactly does a zombie brain function? Finally, a Harvard psychiatrist has the answers.

Through education Dr. Steven C. Schlozman is an assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and a lecturer at the Harvard School of Education. He is also an avid sci-fi and horror fan - and, apparently, the world's leading authority on the neurobiology of the living dead. He has even drafted a fake medical journal article on the zombie plague, which he calls Ataxic Neurodegenerative Satiety Deficiency Syndrome, or ANSD (the article has five authors: one living, three "deceased" and one "humanoid infected").

Schlozman's foray into necro-diagnostics began when he volunteered to give a talk for the "Science on Screen" lecture series at the Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, MA. He conducted extensive research by talking with George Romero and immersing himself in genre literature and memorabilia - which is why the alternate title for his lecture is "A Way Cool Tax Deduction for a Bunch of Cool Books, Action Figures and a Movie.""

more:
http://io9.com/5286145/a-harvard-psychi ... robiology/

This is pretty big - nothing confirmed yet, but a possible extra 9 minutes in Night of The Living Dead!
George Romero dropped huge news at Monster Mania yesterday! Apparently he has found a 16mm work print which includes the roughly 9 min. scene never before released on home media. This was a scene that takes place at the jump cut in the basement, including the largest zombie scene in the film!
http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/60770#.ViI5zNKrQsY

I love zombie stuff, I'm going through pretty much every audible zombie book I can get my hands on but I've said before the zombie thing is hitting saturation point.

I thought the episode of the walking dead that started after the break almost jumped the shark for me when Daryl pulled out the RPG.

Zombies and vampires??

I don't want the whole thing to flop and TWD to be canned but I can see it happening.

Good find though Sherbet.

Part one of twenty clips lasting in total four and a half hours .. Behind the scenes of Romero's Day Of The Dead.

Very sad news :(

George A. Romero dies aged 77: Night of the Living Dead creator 'passes away listening to favourite soundtrack'

• 22:27, 16 JUL 2017
UPDATED 22:38, 16 JUL 2017

Night of the Living Dead director George A. Romero has died aged 77, according to the LA Times.
The Hollywood icon reportedly lost his battle with lung cancer on Sunday night, and passed away whilst listening to his favourite soundtrack.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/george-romero-zombie-director-dead-10811715

Seems so.

Night of the Living Dead is the film immediately brought to mind.

It was Martin which I will remember him for. It was part of Weird Night, way back.

For a long time, I had only half of it on videotape. What better way to make the rest seem like gold-dust!

RIP. :(

For an indie filmmaker creating low budget movies in the way he wanted, he was one of the most influential of all time. He built on Richard Matheson's I Am Legend and manufactured an entirely new horror genre that even now he doesn't get enough credit for (see him mentioned in the credits of The Walking Dead? Of course not!). Very humane talent considering he dealt in movie violence. Such a shame we didn't get his Tarzan pet project. RIP.

Thank you, George, for one of my top favorite movies. RIP and please don't come for me or Barbara.

george.JPG

R.I.P. mate ..

Last edited:
I'm sort of glad George got to see such a vibrant revival of a genre he practically created. It's a testament to his work that it's being copied, parodied and expanded upon to the degree that it is (with varying success) more now than ever.

R.I.P. Master of zombie horror fiction. :( (What, with all these emoticons we don't have a zombie one? I'll get to work on it as soon as I'm home this weekend.)

I looked for a zombie smiley, all to no avail.
Anyhoo, the mods seem to have given up adding new smileys for now.

US Criterion Blu-Ray of NOTLD to feature unseen workprint -

Disc Features
New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director George A. Romero, coscreenwriter John A. Russo, sound engineer Gary R. Streiner, and producer Russell W. Streiner
New restoration of the monaural soundtrack, supervised by Romero and Gary R. Streiner, and presented uncompressed on the Blu-ray
Night of Anubis, a never-before-presented work-print edit of the film
New program featuring filmmakers Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, and Robert Rodriguez
Never-before-seen 16 mm dailies reel
New piece featuring Russo about the commercial and industrial-film production company where key Night of the Living Dead filmmakers got their start
Two audio commentaries from 1994, featuring Romero, Russo, producer Karl Hardman, actor
Judith O’Dea, and more
Archival interviews with Romero and actors Duane Jones and Judith Ridley
New programs about the editing, the score, and directing ghouls
New interviews with Gary R. Streiner and Russel W. Streiner
Trailer, radio spots, and TV spots

https://www.criterion.com/films/29331-night-of-the-living-dead/

Plus an unreleased film from 1973, which is not about zombies but might be interesting.
Two years on, we should get to see it...

George A. Romero’s Restored Lost Film Is Ready for Release: ‘His Most Terrifying Movie’
Horror movie fans might get the chance to see George A. Romero’s long lost 1973 feature “The Amusement Park” on the big screen. According to a report published this week from Bloody Disgusting, Yellow Veil Pictures has come on board the project to handle the movie’s worldwide distribution rights. Producer, and Romero’s widow, Suzanne Desrocher spearheaded a 4K restoration of the film alongside the George A. Romero Foundation. The restoration was completed by IndieCollect in New York.

“The Amusement Park” stars Lincoln Maazel as “an elderly man who finds himself disoriented and increasingly isolated as the pains, tragedies, and humiliations of aging in America are manifested through roller coasters and chaotic crowds.” Romero was originally commissioned to direct the project by the Lutheran Society, which wanted to create a film to raise awareness about ageism and elder abuse. The director delivered an allegory about growing old that Desrocher says is “George’s most terrifying film…It has Romero’s unique footprint all over it!”
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/06/g...-lost-film-amusement-park-release-1234569807/

All three versions of Dawn of the Dead are out on an extras-packed Blu-ray box set in time for Christmas, but what would the jury say was the best version: Theatrical, Extended Cannes, or European Argento? Any expert opinions? It's been so long since I saw it I can't remember which ones I've seen - the first two, maybe.

Theatrical is probably most peoples favourite. The Cannes Cut is before Romero refined it - so if you don't mind baggy extended versions... (it has a short scene with Joseph Pilato, who played the psychotic Captain Rhodes in Day of the Dead). Dario Argento's European cut loses some philosophical discussions, ups the gore, and cranks Goblin on the soundtrack. So take your pick... I'd start with Theatrical if you are going to refamiliarise yourself with it.

Excellent advice, thanks. Must admit I'm curious about the Argento! I'm guessing the Goblin score omits The Gonk?!

Back