Royal News

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Sorry this is getting off topic but I just have to say, there is... nothing worse..... than overuse of...... ellipsis and....... long........... unnecessary............ strings of dots. It makes me uneasy, or perhaps queasy is the correct word.

The verbal equivalent (for me) is when someone raises the intonation of their voice of the end of every sentence so every statement sounds like a question? I sat next to classmate who spoke like this for a whole year in school and my ears were practically bleeding by the end of the year?
You should try dealing with the 'Erma's' ... they walk up to you, you say "Hello" .. now this isn't a taxing social interaction but they reply with "Errrm" .. "How can I help you?" .. "Errrm" ... well we do this, and this and this : "Errrm" .... a golden rule in customer service is never let the customer control the speed of service .. which is what 'Erma's' are actually doing .. I just walk off, come back 10 seconds later and by amazing coincidence, they drop the theatrics and tell you what they want instead. Otherwise they might be made to wait other 10 seconds. 'Erma's' ..

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Okay so the duchess isn't flying over, but they could arrange some kind of remote presence couldn't they?
She could 'zoom' in, or 'skype' or whatever the high tech thingumabob is.
And have it displayed on one of those 'telepresence' robot things.
It's not beyond the wit of science to enable it, is it?

Robo-Meg.png

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Okay so the duchess isn't flying over, but they could arrange some kind of remote presence couldn't they?
She could 'zoom' in, or 'skype' or whatever the high tech thingumabob is.
And have it displayed on one of those 'telepresence' robot things.
It's not beyond the wit of science to enable it, is it?

View attachment 37983
She could bring a date...
S04E02GLantern.jpg

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Network Rail/Nation Rail websites removed colour from their booking websites - turning them grey in memory of Prince Philip - and rendering them unusable by visually impaired users. Talk about not thinking it through. As for the BBC simulcasting the same stuff on both the main channels, the mind boggles. One channel coverage, fine. But we're not a flippin' banana republic. And Mrs Cycleboy listens to Radio 2 a lot, and they made their music even blander than usual - all sad, mournful, trite stuff. It did stop Steve Wright singing over the end of songs, though even that small benefit is surely temporary.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...omplain-rail-websites-greyscale-prince-philip

feinman

Asymmetric Contact From Hyperdimensional Aliens.
Reaction score
Not as bad!!!!!!!!!!! As the overuse of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One might even say it decreases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Impact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like totally agree!! I find their use like totally annoying!! It's like --one is enough, right?!! But they just like keep on adding them!!!
It's like sort of very annoying when they use so many exclamation marks!! Stop, right?? :twisted:

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Network Rail/Nation Rail websites removed colour from their booking websites - turning them grey in memory of Prince Philip - and rendering them unusable by visually impaired users. Talk about not thinking it through. As for the BBC simulcasting the same stuff on both the main channels, the mind boggles. One channel coverage, fine. But we're not a flippin' banana republic. And Mrs Cycleboy listens to Radio 2 a lot, and they made their music even blander than usual - all sad, mournful, trite stuff. It did stop Steve Wright singing over the end of songs, though even that small benefit is surely temporary.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...omplain-rail-websites-greyscale-prince-philip
You would've thought that the Comms and Web Design staff would be aware of the issues caused by changing the colour scheme. I'm no expert, but I wonder whether they may have breached legislation. Perhaps instructed by someone much further up the tree.

In other news, kick off times for football matches all over the UK have been changed in order to avoid a clash with the funeral.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You would've thought that the Comms and Web Design staff would be aware of the issues caused by changing the colour scheme. I'm no expert, but I wonder whether they may have breached legislation. Perhaps instructed by someone much further up the tree.

In other news, kick off times for football matches all over the UK have been changed in order to avoid a clash with the funeral.
That would be my guess re the rail websites. Ooh, got to be seen to be doing something. No! You're flogging tickets to people.

None of my comments here are meant to show any disrespect to Prince Philip, just the way that certain aspects of the country are reacting to it. I turn on Radio 4 in the morning and I hear about his library, his art, his love of poetry and I really, really don't care. If I was interested I'd search this out. It's as if he was single-handedly responsible for curing cancer and bringing world peace. No, he was the queen's much-loved consort.

The BBC, for example, received so many complaints about their coverage that they had to remove the complaints form from their website. So I'm not the only one.

Rant over. I'll shut up now before I go off one one!*

(*Like I did while watching The Chase recently when a contestant was asked in which continent were May, Merkel and Macron political figures. And got it wrong. I do wonder why some people go on quiz shows...)

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I quite enjoy this outcome. It's like payback for all of the times that MY programs have been cancelled for sports, usually Olympics, or, when I was a kid with only one channel to watch, "Hockey Night in Canada". Finally sports isn't the be all and end all of the world. :chuckle:

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I quite enjoy this outcome. It's like payback for all of the times that MY programs have been cancelled for sports, usually Olympics, or, when I was a kid with only one channel to watch, "Hockey Night in Canada". Finally sports isn't the be all and end all of the world. :chuckle:
I like your thinking here and I totally agree with you! :hapdan:

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
It displeased me a little, mainly because my team is now playing at noon rather than 3pm. It means I'll be grumpy for more of the day.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
BBC 'receives 100,000 complaints' over Prince Philip coverage https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56721078

The BBC coverage of the death of the Duke of Edinburgh has attracted 100,000 complaints, making it the most complained about piece of programming in BBC history.
It would appear that viewers objected to the removal of East Enders and Master Chef.

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score
If they're upset about this just wait until the queen dies. I'm not really making a comment on whether I agree with it, but you can bet when Operation London Bridge occurs it'll generate a tsunami of coverage for many weeks.

(Link leads you to relevant Wikipedia page for anyone interested)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
If they're upset about this just wait until the queen dies. I'm not really making a comment on whether I agree with it, but you can bet when Operation London Bridge occurs it'll generate a tsunami of coverage for many weeks.

(Link leads you to relevant Wikipedia page for anyone interested)
I'll be sure to get in a stock of DVDs.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I know some will disagree, call me old fashioned, but an interruption to normal programmes on BBC1, to cut to breaking news, the presenter wearing black, and a weekend of connected programmes...that is what I want from the BBC when someone like Prince Phillip dies.

I think it is the correct response to the death of the sovereign's consort.

As to whether Prince Philip would have wanted it, is a moot point.
Perhaps he'd be OK with it as long as it did not interrupt the cricket.

Last edited:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I know some will disagree, call me old fashioned, but an interruption to normal programmes on BBC1, to cut to breaking news, the presenter wearing black, and a weekend of connected programmes...that is what I want from the BBC when someone like Prince Phillip dies.

I think it is the correct response to the death of the sovereign's consort.

As to whether Prince Philip would have wanted it, is a moot point.
Perhaps he be OK with it as long as it did not interrupt the cricket.
I think the main complaint was that the same programmes were being shown simultaniously on both bbc1 and bbc2, which did seem a bit excessive.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the main complaint was that the same programmes were being shown simultaniously on both bbc1 and bbc2, which did seem a bit excessive.
And BBC News and BBC Scotland. So four channels showing the same thing.

That's the impression I've been getting from reports about the complaints. The main problem wasn't that there was extended news coverage about Philip's death, but rather that it was duplicated across multiple channels and denying viewers any alternative.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
And BBC News and BBC Scotland. So four channels showing the same thing.
From the Guardian:

"BBC Four was taken off air and replaced with a notice urging viewers to switch to BBC One. It had been due to show the England women’s football team play France in an international friendly – the game aired on the BBC’s iPlayer service and BBC Sport website, apparently in the belief that showing women’s sport online is more respectful than allowing it on linear television channels. On CBBC, children were greeted with a banner encouraging them to watch the news."

Madness. Total and utter madness.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It was also on Radio 4, 4xtra, 1. Identical broadcasts. You had to try hard to get away from it. Some other radio stations weren't any better - LBC had it as their only topic for about 3 days.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was not aware that the coverage was simultaneously on so many channels.
BBC1 and BBC News would have been fine, and not identical broadcasts.
I had BBC News on only.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
From the Guardian:

"BBC Four was taken off air and replaced with a notice urging viewers to switch to BBC One. It had been due to show the England women’s football team play France in an international friendly – the game aired on the BBC’s iPlayer service and BBC Sport website, apparently in the belief that showing women’s sport online is more respectful than allowing it on linear television channels. On CBBC, children were greeted with a banner encouraging them to watch the news."

Madness. Total and utter madness.

I hope the Tellytubbies were in black and conducted themselves in an appropriately sombre manner.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
The schedule for CBeebies last Friday appears to have remained intact although the BBC website largely shows the schedule for CBBC as normal, which of course wasn't the case.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The inhabitants of the South Sea island of Tanna worship him as a god. Not sure how they'll take the news.

Here's how they're taking it ...
Prince Philip: The Vanuatu tribes mourning the death of their 'god'

For decades, two villages on the Vanuatuan island of Tanna have revered the Duke of Edinburgh as a god-like spiritual figure.

A formal period of mourning is now under way.

On Monday, scores of tribespeople gathered in a ceremony to remember Prince Philip.

"The connection between the people on the island of Tanna and the English people is very strong... We are sending condolence messages to the Royal Family and the people of England," said tribal leader Chief Yapa, according to Reuters news agency.

For the next few weeks, villagers will periodically meet to conduct rites for the duke, who is seen as a "recycled descendant of a very powerful spirit or god that lives on one of their mountains", says anthropologist Kirk Huffman who has studied the tribes since the 1970s.

They will likely conduct ritualistic dance, hold a procession, and display memorabilia of Prince Philip, while the men will drink kava, a ceremonial drink made from the roots of the kava plant.

This will culminate with a "significant gathering" as a final act of mourning. "There will be a great deal of wealth on display" which would mean yams and kava plants, says Vanuatu-based journalist Dan McGarry.

"And also pigs, because they are a primary source of protein. I would expect numerous pigs to be killed for the ceremonial event." ...

FULL STORY: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56713953

Trevp666

Reaction score
IMO the coverage of the death of the DoE was fitting, but too extensive and repetitive.
Something like a 'newsflash' (remember those?) on all channels would have been appropriate at the time, followed by a sympathetic change to programming. And possibly some extended reports on just the BBC News channel only. Then you could rightly expect that most of the population would know about it, if not through seeing/hearing broadcast reports of it but by 'word of mouth'.
There was absolutely no need whatsoever to have hours and hours of coverage, across at least 3 of the BBC channels, with similar coverage on other media, and the removal of broadcasting altogether in some instances.
There were points when I was fully expecting to see an interview with the bloke that runs his local Pizza delivery company and a discussion about what his favourite toppings were.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
IMO the coverage of the death of the DoE was fitting, but too extensive and repetitive.
Something like a 'newsflash' (remember those?) on all channels would have been appropriate at the time, followed by a sympathetic change to programming. And possibly some extended reports on just the BBC News channel only. Then you could rightly expect that most of the population would know about it, if not through seeing/hearing broadcast reports of it but by 'word of mouth'.
There was absolutely no need whatsoever to have hours and hours of coverage, across at least 3 of the BBC channels, with similar coverage on other media, and the removal of broadcasting altogether in some instances.
There were points when I was fully expecting to see an interview with the bloke that runs his local Pizza delivery company and a discussion about what his favourite toppings were.
I expect they were crudely trying to take everyone's mind off covid news reports at the same time UK restrictions are being lifted/ relaxed a bit ?..

Last edited by a moderator:

Trevp666

Reaction score
Possibly but I think it more likely that they were going with sticking to a plan they already had in place for his passing.