Royal News

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
The Queen sitting with that huge hat covering her face. :tears:

I was quite touched by how upbeat some of the music was

Are you sure? I heard that Prince Edward would take over that title. He had already taken over some duties from Prince Philip.
When Mythopoeika posted I thought I will have to correct that as its Prince Edward, then I thought I would check and sure enough it is Charles, it seems only to have been made known this was the case yesterday. Prince Edward had indeed become head of the DoE scheme, presumably that will remain and when Charles becomes Kong Edward will be Duke of Edinburgh?

I watched it on the BBC and I was impressed that they had largely got Huw Edwards to keep his mouth shut. I was also impressed they didn’t have huge lingering close up shots on the mourners.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
and when Charles becomes Kong Edward will be Duke of Edinburgh?

This is a fabulous typo!

I think that one of the things about the british system is that while there is tradition and precedent, it's all actually in the gift of the monarch? Is that right?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
A topless protester has been detained after running in front of a crowd near Windsor Castle following the minute’s silence for the Duke of Edinburgh.

The woman sprinted on to the road shouting “save the planet” after the crowd began clapping, following the silence.

She jumped onto a statue of Queen Victoria before police officers removed her from the scene on Castle Hill.

Images later showed the police retrieving the woman's clothes.

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/topless-...2wboL6_P5DqCJ7flEanakyilSUQ2hMiL-6I2Z8sTZ4Lcv

Climate change nut or not, you have to give her some credit for making a protest seeing as she is obviously about 10 months pregnant!
Yet another attention seeker .. and capitalising at a person's wake ffs ... yawn .. :mad: .. jog on.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a fabulous typo!

I think that one of the things about the british system is that while there is tradition and precedent, it's all actually in the gift of the monarch? Is that right?
The title of Duke of Edinburgh was apparently given to Prince Philip by George VI.

From Wikipedia for simplicity.

“Pursuant to the Letters Patent issued for the third creation of the dukedom in 1947, the Prince of Wales, as the duke's eldest son, automatically inherited the title on his father's death,[11] becoming the second Duke of the third creation. Although the following individuals are in the line of succession to the Dukedom, they are also in line of succession to the throne. As a consequence, should one of the following individuals become king while Duke, the Dukedom of Edinburgh would cease to exist, as it would merge with the Crown. (If the first Duke had outlived the Queen, the dukedom would similarly lapse by passing to the future King.)

If and when the incumbent Duke of Edinburgh becomes King, he is expected to recreate the dukedom for his youngest brother the Earl of Wessex. Barring unlikely scenarios (such as the Queen outliving the Earl of Wessex, Prince Louis becoming Duke without becoming King on account of having an older sister ahead of him in the line of succession to the throne, or the Earl succeeding to the third creation of the dukedom and/or the Crown beforehand), Prince Edward will thus become the first Duke of the fourth creation”

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
when Charles becomes Kong

Nobody will take the piss out of him talking to plants :p
fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Are you sure? I heard that Prince Edward would take over that title. He had already taken over some duties from Prince Philip.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Edinburgh
Pursuant to the Letters Patent issued for the third creation of the dukedom in 1947, the Prince of Wales, as the duke's eldest son, automatically inherited the title on his father's death, becoming the second Duke of the third creation. Although the following individuals are in the line of succession to the Dukedom, they are also in line of succession to the throne. As a consequence, should one of the following individuals become king while Duke, the Dukedom of Edinburgh would cease to exist, as it would merge with the Crown. (If the first Duke had outlived the Queen, the dukedom would similarly lapse by passing to the future King.)

If and when the incumbent Duke of Edinburgh becomes King, he is expected to recreate the dukedom for his youngest brother the Earl of Wessex. Barring unlikely scenarios (such as the Queen outliving the Earl of Wessex, Prince Louis becoming Duke without becoming King on account of having an older sister ahead of him in the line of succession to the throne, or the Earl succeeding to the third creation of the dukedom and/or the Crown beforehand), Prince Edward will thus become the first Duke of the fourth creation.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
As long as he isn't 'Donkey Kong Edward'.
I can't imagine him (yes I can) standing atop Buckingham Palace, lobbing barrels of stuff at the tourists.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
By Appointment To The Queen.

British sex toy company Lovehoney has received a royal seal of approval.

The adult retailer this week was honored with The Queen’s Award for Enterprise “for outstanding continuous growth in overseas sales over the last six years,” according to a press release on its website. The accolade, announced by the official journal of record, The London Gazette, allows the company in Bath, southwest England, to fly The Queen’s Awards flag at their office and use its emblem on marketing and packaging materials for five years. Lovehoney also won the award in 2016.

“We are thrilled to have received official recognition from the Queen,” Debbie Bond, Lovehoney’s chief commercial officer, said in a statement. “Her Majesty has been a wonderful supporter of Lovehoney as we have grown into being the world’s leading sexual wellness brand.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sex-toy-company-queens-award_n_608bb97fe4b046202706053f

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

The adult retailer this week was honored with The Queen’s Award for Enterprise “for outstanding continuous growth in overseas sales over the last six years,” according to a press release on its website. The accolade, announced by the official journal of record, The London Gazette, allows the company in Bath, southwest England, to fly The Queen’s Awards flag at their office and use its emblem on marketing and packaging materials for five years. Lovehoney also won the award in 2016.

“We are thrilled to have received official recognition from the Queen,” Debbie Bond, Lovehoney’s chief commercial officer, said in a statement. “Her Majesty has been a wonderful supporter of Lovehoney as we have grown into being the world’s leading sexual wellness brand.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sex-toy-company-queens-award_n_608bb97fe4b046202706053f
“outstanding continuous growth”, there’s a joke there somewhere.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score

Gives new meaning to "the crown jewels"....
:mcoat:

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
We are slaves to three things which is Estrogen, Progesterone, and Testosterone.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Boris Johnson OK’d 230 million pounds for a new Royal Yacht to be named Prince Philip to replace HMY Britannia that was decommissioned in 1997.

Last edited by a moderator:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Lovehoney was set up by a couple of guys who used to work at the same company as me - Future Publishing. They had no experience of online retail but thought they had found a niche in the market - and they certainly had as they're both now multi-millionaires. Fair play to them. The company donated some of its products for a charity raffle a few years ago, and I also play football with a few of the guys who work for them - and I get the impression they're a good employer. I thought about applying for Christmas warehouse work with them last year – glad I didn't in the end as I sprained my knee playing football and wouldn't have been able to do so.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Boris Johnson OK’d 230 million pounds for a new Royal Yacht to be named Prince Philip to replace HMY Britannia that was decommissioned in 1997.
Glad to see my tax money is being spent wisely. You'd have thought that as one of the richest women in the world Madge could stump up the cash herself, by flogging off her Vermeer for example. What a waste of cash in what are likely to prove economically trying times.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Glad to see my tax money is being spent wisely. You'd have thought that as one of the richest women in the world Madge could stump up the cash herself, by flogging off her Vermeer for example. What a waste of cash in what are likely to prove economically trying times.
The Royal Yacht is actually a warship in disguise. It's a way of sneaking another item into the defence of our realm.
Hence the reason why the state pays for it.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Royal Yacht is actually a warship in disguise. It's a way of sneaking another item into the defence of our realm.
Hence the reason why the state pays for it.
If I remember rightly - and Wikipedia confirms this - HMY Britannia was always intended to double as a hospital ship (a continued justification for its absurd expense during its existence), but this capability was never used, even during the Falklands War when I guess its hospital capability may have been useful. Call me cynical but I can't imagine it'll be any different this time around...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
If I remember rightly - and Wikipedia confirms this - HMY Britannia was always intended to double as a hospital ship (a continued justification for its absurd expense during its existence), but this capability was never used, even during the Falklands War when I guess its hospital capability may have been useful. Call me cynical but I can't imagine it'll be any different this time around...
That's the cover story. It could be fitted out with a full set of guns if required.
As the 'Royal Yacht' it has no obvious armaments on display.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/02/give-new-royal-yacht-firepower-fight-battles-mps-demand/