Royal News

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
That's the cover story. It could be fitted out with a full set of guns if required.
As the 'Royal Yacht' it has no obvious armaments on display.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/02/give-new-royal-yacht-firepower-fight-battles-mps-demand/

Then there are the Corgi Guards, an SBS trained unit serves on the Royal yacht.

corgi.jpg

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm no royalist but I found the pictures of the Queen sat alone in the chapel incredibly sad.

Isn't that being a human? Rather than being a non-royalist?

The number of people who want constitutional change who are sitting there going "hahaha" must be vanishingly small.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The Sun claims that 2.7 million tourists a year come to see the royal places producing 1.8 billion pounds for Britain.

The yacht seems like a good investment of British pride for the world.

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The Sun claims that 2.7 million tourists a year come to see the royal places producing 1.8 billion pounds for Britain.

The yacht seems like a good investment of British pride for the world.
I think they would probably still come anyway. They don’t really come to actually see the royal family.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Appreciate it isn't an enormous amount within a national budget, but I just think that if the money is genuinely available then there are better things to spend it on - not that we're getting into that discussion. I still don't really see the value of having such an expensive toy.

Last edited by a moderator:

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Given my own, occasionally expressed, opinion of the Royal's relevance, then it would be inconsistent of me to think a nautical status symbol had its own intrinsic value. There are many such arguments, but they invariably swerve into the political, so we'll not be pursuing them.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Prince Philip official death certificate.

Cause of death———old age

No mention of anything else.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Prince Philip official death certificate.

Cause of death———old age

No mention of anything else.
Not a surprise. They're hardly going to put down something embarrassing.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I always believed that Old Age has never been an official Cause of Death - it isn't a disease that you die from. The Physician usually puts the cause as the first major organ to fail - which is why heart failure is the most commom cause of death in the UK.

Ogdred Weary

Drag Queen of Dragons
Reaction score
I always believed that Old Age has never been an official Cause of Death - it isn't a disease that you die from. The Physician usually puts the cause as the first major organ to fail - which is why heart failure is the most commom cause of death in the UK.

Or they could just write "Entropy."

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Appreciate it isn't an enormous amount within a national budget, but I just think that if the money is genuinely available then there are better things to spend it on - not that we're getting into that discussion. I still don't really see the value of having such an expensive toy.
Back in the 80’s when construction was suffering one of its periodic recessions I got a job in the Middle East on a construction project that was purportedly sealed for British Contractors on the Royal Yacht Britannia after Royal intervention. This project kept a lot of British workers employed for a number of years, brought income back into the U.K., and at least two of the companies won the Queens Award for Export, which raised their profiles sufficiently to win further projects in the region.
What the Royals bring into the U.K. through tourism, I would suspect, pales into insignificance with what we gain in trade deals and contracts won throughout the world. If the project was won through the Queens intervention, I am personally very grateful, as her intervention meant my mortgage was paid and my kids fed when work was very hard to come by in the U.K. at that time.

Ogdred Weary

Drag Queen of Dragons
Reaction score
Back in the 80’s when construction was suffering one of its periodic recessions I got a job in the Middle East on a construction project that was purportedly sealed for British Contractors on the Royal Yacht Britannia after Royal intervention. This project kept a lot of British workers employed for a number of years, brought income back into the U.K., and at least two of the companies won the Queens Award for Export, which raised their profiles sufficiently to win further projects in the region.
What the Royals bring into the U.K. through tourism, I would suspect, pales into insignificance with what we gain in trade deals and contracts won throughout the world. If the project was won through the Queens intervention, I am personally very grateful, as her intervention meant my mortgage was paid and my kids fed when work was very hard to come by in the U.K. at that time.

I'm not sure I follow, are you saying that the royals get us loads of trade deal wonga?

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow, are you saying that the royals get us loads of trade deal wonga?
Not so sure today, but when it was announced the Britannia was being taken out of service I saw or read an article that indicated how much business was awarded to the U.K. through trade deals that were sealed on the yacht, the project I worked on in the Middle East was supposed to have been one of those projects.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
From Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMY_Britannia

It was estimated by the Overseas Trade Board that events held on board the yacht helped raise £3 billion for HM Treasury between 1991 and 1995 alone.[13]

Proposals for the construction of a new royal yacht, perhaps financed through a loan or by the Queen's own funds, have made little headway. In December 2019 it was reported that the late Sir Donald Gosling donated £50 million in his will to pay for it.[20] In May 2021, it was announced that the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, would announce the construction of a new royal yacht, named after Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh "within weeks".[21]

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Putin's Man In The Palace?

Prince Michael of Kent was willing to use his royal status for personal profit, and provide access to Russian President Vladimir Putin's regime, a Sunday Times and Channel 4 report says.

The Queen's cousin was filmed at a meeting in which undercover reporters were told he could be hired to make representations to the Kremlin. His friend, the Marquess of Reading, later described him as "Her Majesty's unofficial ambassador to Russia".

The prince, 78, has denied the claims. And in a statement, his spokesperson said that the marquess had "made suggestions which Prince Michael would not have wanted, or been able, to fulfil" during the covertly-recorded meeting. They added: "As is standard practice, Prince Michael's private secretary made it clear to the company's representatives during their conversations that nothing could proceed without the agreement of the British Embassy and the help of the Russo-British Chamber of Commerce, of which Prince Michael is patron." ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57042823

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This Prince Michael news is bizarre.

The Story was broken by The Times, who can be a mouthpiece for both MI5 and MI6.

It prompts questions:

1.) Is the Prince really an unofficial ambasador to Russia, able to communicate free of government shackles?

2.) Is the Prince used by the security services to smoke out various business on behalf of the government, such as this fictional Korean concern?

3.) Did the Prince "Go rogue" and act against his remit, and so the security services intentionally dropped him in it?

4.) Was the Prince merely doing his job (as in point 2) and the journalists stumbled on it, and published for headlines without realising/double checking what the Prince was really up to?

5.) Or, was it as it says on the tin, that the Prince has been using his status to get a bit too close to a foreign regime engaged in a cold war with the UK?

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Yeah because rubbing people's noses in their wealth is a good thing to do in the current climate.
Well you did pay for it, did you not? And the article mentions that a charity arranges the visits. Though I do know that sometimes I myself question a "charity" as to, is it really a benefit to someone, or is it used more for public relations?

I would be interested in seeing the flora and fauna.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Well you did pay for it, did you not? And the article mentions that a charity arranges the visits. Though I do know that sometimes I myself question a "charity" as to, is it really a benefit to someone, or is it used more for public relations?

I would be interested in seeing the flora and fauna.

So I rock up and say "I'm staying the week Jeeves be so good as to put the kettle on." How is that going to end?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
This Prince Michael news is bizarre.

[...]

4.) Was the Prince merely doing his job (as in point 2) and the journalists stumbled on it, and published for headlines without realising/double checking what the Prince was really up to?

In short, we don't know.

Note, however, that this story has died a prompt death with very little wider coverage and no talk of the 'implications' or 'fallout'.

I sense that someone was very much at home to Mr Cock-Up.

In fact, if anything, it has been eclipsed by sympathetic accounts of Princess Michael of Kent's blood clots following her Covid-19 vaccination.

Coincidence?

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Princess Diana hit the news today in the U.S. as it came to light the BBC used deceitful methods to secure the famous

Diana interview.

So is this interviewer Martin Bashir going to jail ?

Diana’s famous words “ there are three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded “.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Princess Diana hit the news today in the U.S. as it came to light the BBC used deceitful methods to secure the famous

Diana interview.

Diana’s famous words “ there are three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded “.
This goes into lengthy detail what it's about if you're interested. Bashir lied & forged some bank statements to bolster his aim of getting Diana's brother to support an interview & make the introduction.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56680229

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

Diana interview.

The quick answer is, no Bashir is not being charged with anything, as things stand,