• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Royal News

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm no royalist but I found the pictures of the Queen sat alone in the chapel incredibly sad.
Isn't that being a human? Rather than being a non-royalist?

The number of people who want constitutional change who are sitting there going "hahaha" must be vanishingly small.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The Sun claims that 2.7 million tourists a year come to see the royal places producing 1.8 billion pounds for Britain.

The yacht seems like a good investment of British pride for the world.

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The Sun claims that 2.7 million tourists a year come to see the royal places producing 1.8 billion pounds for Britain.

The yacht seems like a good investment of British pride for the world.
I think they would probably still come anyway. They don’t really come to actually see the royal family.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Appreciate it isn't an enormous amount within a national budget, but I just think that if the money is genuinely available then there are better things to spend it on - not that we're getting into that discussion. I still don't really see the value of having such an expensive toy.

Last edited by a moderator:

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Given my own, occasionally expressed, opinion of the Royal's relevance, then it would be inconsistent of me to think a nautical status symbol had its own intrinsic value. There are many such arguments, but they invariably swerve into the political, so we'll not be pursuing them.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Prince Philip official death certificate.

Cause of death———old age

No mention of anything else.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Prince Philip official death certificate.

Cause of death———old age

No mention of anything else.
Not a surprise. They're hardly going to put down something embarrassing.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I always believed that Old Age has never been an official Cause of Death - it isn't a disease that you die from. The Physician usually puts the cause as the first major organ to fail - which is why heart failure is the most commom cause of death in the UK.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
I always believed that Old Age has never been an official Cause of Death - it isn't a disease that you die from. The Physician usually puts the cause as the first major organ to fail - which is why heart failure is the most commom cause of death in the UK.
Or they could just write "Entropy."

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Appreciate it isn't an enormous amount within a national budget, but I just think that if the money is genuinely available then there are better things to spend it on - not that we're getting into that discussion. I still don't really see the value of having such an expensive toy.
Back in the 80’s when construction was suffering one of its periodic recessions I got a job in the Middle East on a construction project that was purportedly sealed for British Contractors on the Royal Yacht Britannia after Royal intervention. This project kept a lot of British workers employed for a number of years, brought income back into the U.K., and at least two of the companies won the Queens Award for Export, which raised their profiles sufficiently to win further projects in the region.
What the Royals bring into the U.K. through tourism, I would suspect, pales into insignificance with what we gain in trade deals and contracts won throughout the world. If the project was won through the Queens intervention, I am personally very grateful, as her intervention meant my mortgage was paid and my kids fed when work was very hard to come by in the U.K. at that time.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
Back in the 80’s when construction was suffering one of its periodic recessions I got a job in the Middle East on a construction project that was purportedly sealed for British Contractors on the Royal Yacht Britannia after Royal intervention. This project kept a lot of British workers employed for a number of years, brought income back into the U.K., and at least two of the companies won the Queens Award for Export, which raised their profiles sufficiently to win further projects in the region.
What the Royals bring into the U.K. through tourism, I would suspect, pales into insignificance with what we gain in trade deals and contracts won throughout the world. If the project was won through the Queens intervention, I am personally very grateful, as her intervention meant my mortgage was paid and my kids fed when work was very hard to come by in the U.K. at that time.
I'm not sure I follow, are you saying that the royals get us loads of trade deal wonga?

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow, are you saying that the royals get us loads of trade deal wonga?
Not so sure today, but when it was announced the Britannia was being taken out of service I saw or read an article that indicated how much business was awarded to the U.K. through trade deals that were sealed on the yacht, the project I worked on in the Middle East was supposed to have been one of those projects.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
From Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMY_Britannia

It was estimated by the Overseas Trade Board that events held on board the yacht helped raise £3 billion for HM Treasury between 1991 and 1995 alone.[13]

Proposals for the construction of a new royal yacht, perhaps financed through a loan or by the Queen's own funds, have made little headway. In December 2019 it was reported that the late Sir Donald Gosling donated £50 million in his will to pay for it.[20] In May 2021, it was announced that the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, would announce the construction of a new royal yacht, named after Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh "within weeks".[21]