Royal News

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Prince Edward was all over the TVs this morning saying just normal family stuff, but he is keeping out of it.

Personal opinion, but I think Prince Edward has matured pretty well.

How much is true, I don't know, but he was often portrayed in the media as the youngest and most empty-headed of the children, but I think in hindsight that this might have been unfair.

He doesn't seem a bad chap to me.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

How much is true, I don't know, but he was often portrayed in the media as the youngest and most empty-headed of the children, but I think in hindsight that this might have been unfair.

I thinl he was desperately seeking his place in the structure, i think now he has just given up trying and started living his life as a (semi) ordinary husband and father

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Wasn't Edward the one who was responsible for dragging other members of the Royal Family into an edition of the popular 70s show "It's a Knockout"?
Here is 2 hours of terrible telly.
Actually more recently than I remembered, from 1987, and billed as "The Grand Knockout Tournament".
How did we ever let this sort of thing become a thing?
(And good grief - Rowan Atkinson as Blackadder? How?)

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

I think he got a bad press because he wasn't up to being a Royal Marine officer, it takes a lot more than the Army or Navy. The RMs are effectively Special Forces.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
I think he got a bad press because he wasn't up to being a Royal Marine officer, it takes a lot more than the Army or Navy. The RMs are effectively Special Forces.

This!

he must have known at the time that he would never live it down, that some people would hit him with it forever. There's strength of character needed to deal with that.

He's definitely found his place and his role. He has what appears to be a solid and loving marriage. He has two kids that are part of his loving family and, according to what we have access to, seem to be coming out as decent enough people.

And all this when you aren't The Heir, The Spare, or The Girl. You are just the baby of the family, no big plans in your future but all of the public platform and expectations from a savage media to feeding a ravening section of the general public.

What are people who slag him off for youthful mistakes decades later thinking about? I mean, what is the point of dragging stuff up in a salacious and would-be prurient fashion? Have they achieved the happy marriage and two kids stuff and so see it as negligible or do they not value it?

One reason I am a republican is that I am against putting people through the whole thing.

[sarcasm] Of course, us autistics have no compassion or empathy[/sarcasm]

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

He's not a bad chap.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
And that's why he's been presented to the tabloids.
He's said nothing controversial, he's followed the non-committal line.
I've no grudge against any of 'em but it all smacks of elderly white guys whose job is a sinecure gained centuries past who keep things "calm" regardless of modern, current events.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I thought Prince Charles' speech at the G7 meeting at the Eden Project tonight was quite powerful.
Particularly floating the meme that, the world seems to be working together to tackle the pandemic, so surely we can act similarly to save the planet.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
I mentioned that once to an ex-marine and he said he had a lot of respect for him - he said even to get as far as he did was bloody hard.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
... he was often portrayed in the media as the youngest and most empty-headed of the children, but I think in hindsight that this might have been unfair.

Indeed - I think the last couple of years have shown us anything, it's that the middle brother who lacks judgement and intelligence! The rest of the Queen's children have kept their noses pretty clean recently.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Indeed - I think the last couple of years have shown us anything, it's that the middle brother who lacks judgement and intelligence! The rest of the Queen's children have kept their noses pretty clean recently.
That’s as small a sample as the skincare companies sell their goods on the televisual device. 89% of 59 people said they noticed an improvement. They do a worldwide TV campaign on those numbers.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I see Jay Blades has got an MBE.
To me, he’ll always be known as ‘Two sugars please’.

Seems like a nice bloke though.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Going viral in the U.S. is the Queen using a ceremonial sword to cut a G7 cake at Cornwall.

The Queen is heard telling Kate and Camilla that using the knife on the table would be no fun.

Kate and Camilla looked just stunned !

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score
Dumb as a bag of rocks though, seen him on a couple of 'quiz' shows, and whats with the painting one chair leg pink?

He really is bless him, he was shocking on House of Games. When they got him to contribute a question for contestants in a later week it was something like 'What bird flies into the repair shop?' :thought: ... His answer was something like Robin, but they ended up awarding a point to someone who answered owl because apparently an owl flies in there too. So essentially he didn't even know the answer to his own (incredibly basic) question.

However as Analogue Boy said he does seem like a nice bloke!

Trevp666

Reaction score
video of the event
Excellent.
Her Maj never short of a quick retort.
When advised "There is a knife there as well" and quick as a flash she fires back "I know there is!" (but you can tell that what she is actually saying is "I'm not an idiot!")

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Little known fact: in a similar fashion to the Gurkhas supposedly needing to draw blood with their kukris once unsheathed, if the Queen lifts a sword for a purpose other than knighting a subject, she must slice cake before lowering it again.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Wasn't she using the sword upside down?
She's The Queen - she can hold it any bleedin way she likes.
She can hold it by the blade and bludgeon the cake to death by whacking it with the handle end if she wants to, lol.