Royal News

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
"he is her subject like the rest of us Brits are"

Nope. We are citizens and haven't been "subjects" since 1949.

"Here's the tricky bit for the UK: When you search for the piece of paper explaining exactly when we stopped being subjects and became citizens, you won't find it...

...we are legally "subjects" because there isn't a single piece of paper that says otherwise, the sweep of history essentially finds that we are citizens, albeit in constitutionally different ways to other nations."

http://cdnedge.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4191613.stm

maximus otter

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes we are. We are Commonwealth citizens too.

Or, according to the National Archives, it may have been 1983:

"the British Nationality Act of 1981 which came into effect from 1 January 1983. It introduced five different types of citizenship. British citizens, people living in the UK or having a connection to the UK and the British Isles, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, so they became British citizens with an automatic right of abode. We actually ceased to be British subjects from 1 January 1983. That status still survives as a legal status and people still use it colloquially as British subjects. But in fact legally we just became British citizens from 1 January 1983 in the UK.

https://media.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php/british-nationality-subject-citizen/

But it looks like the obsolete term "subject" is still used colloquially.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Strewth!

An Australian man claiming to be Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles’ secret son has shared a new photo comparing one of his children to the royals.

Simon Dorante-Day, 55, has spent decades trying to prove his bizarre theory. The Queensland-based engineer was born in Portsmouth in April 1966, and was later adopted by a local family who had ties to the Queen. He claims his adopted grandmother, who worked in the Palace, told him that his real parents were the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.

Charles and Camilla would have been teenagers at the time, decades before they were officially a couple.

Earlier this month, Simon shared a picture of Princess Charlotte alongside his youngest daughter Meriam, 7News reports. One Facebook user described them as “almost identical twins”. Another said the “eye colour is an unreal match”. A third posted: “The combination you showed is stunning. It seems two halves of the same face.”

During his time in the UK, Simon claims he was taken to various homes to meet with Camilla.

Princess Charlotte and Simon Dorante-Day's daughter

He recently shared a picture of his youngest daughter alongside Princess Charlotte (Image: facebook/PrinceSimonCharles/ Getty Images)

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/charles-camillas-secret-son-posts-24783970

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Strewth!

An Australian man claiming to be Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles’ secret son has shared a new photo comparing one of his children to the royals.

Simon Dorante-Day, 55, has spent decades trying to prove his bizarre theory. The Queensland-based engineer was born in Portsmouth in April 1966, and was later adopted by a local family who had ties to the Queen. He claims his adopted grandmother, who worked in the Palace, told him that his real parents were the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.

Charles and Camilla would have been teenagers at the time, decades before they were officially a couple.

Earlier this month, Simon shared a picture of Princess Charlotte alongside his youngest daughter Meriam, 7News reports. One Facebook user described them as “almost identical twins”. Another said the “eye colour is an unreal match”. A third posted: “The combination you showed is stunning. It seems two halves of the same face.”

During his time in the UK, Simon claims he was taken to various homes to meet with Camilla.

Princess Charlotte and Simon Dorante-Day's daughter's daughter

He recently shared a picture of his youngest daughter alongside Princess Charlotte (Image: facebook/PrinceSimonCharles/ Getty Images)

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/charles-camillas-secret-son-posts-24783970
He must be slightly mentally ill mustn't he?

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Very good podcast on Edward and Wallis Simpson.

https://www.historyextra.com/period...in-exile-edward-wallis-podcast-andrew-lownie/

Wow if Edward hadn't been a royal he'd likely have been banged up in the tower. The ol' Queen Mum and Queen Mary stuck to their guns and didn't give him an inch, (apart from vast wealth, houses, staff, etc), so he never made a comeback.

I knew he had Nazi sympathies but not to the extent that Lownie's evidence suggests. Simpson comes out of it rather well though.

Looking forward to getting the book.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
The Garden Room in Clarence House was created by Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from two rooms and offers beautiful views of the garden. Today it is used for welcoming official visitors and features musical instruments, family photographs and works of art.

It's grand but far from preposterous: a part of a royal residence that I could imagine a fairly normal person inhabiting without feeling wholly out of place—quite cosy.

E9eP7RCX0As8mET.jpeg.jpg
E9eP7RKWEAMTlpr.jpeg.jpg
E9eQN0RWQAoXta4.jpeg.jpg

Source: @Clarencehouse Twitter.

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Garden Room in Clarence House was created by Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from two rooms and offers beautiful views of the garden. Today it is used for welcoming official visitors and features musical instruments, family photographs and works of art.

It's grand but far from preposterous: a part of a royal residence that I could imagine a fairly normal person inhabiting without feeling wholly out of place—quite cosy.

View attachment 43938View attachment 43939View attachment 43940

Gorgeous! I particularly love the windows and curtains. Thank you for sharing :)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
Is that a pink dinosaur gazing at the gang plank??

more of a pale brown I think? Great painting.

I like the china waste bin by the desk. (Or is it a chamber pot?)

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I could imagine a fairly normal person inhabiting
As long as that person had amassed a vast fortune including various rare art treasures from around the world.
The large painting of Noahs Ark is by Leandro Bassano from 1557 - a large reproduction of which would set you back $1500., with the value of the original currently unknown, but estimates based on the artists other larger pieces would put it somewhere in the region of £50,000+.

But I take your point - the room does look fairly habitable and not just for show.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

View attachment 43938View attachment 43939View attachment 43940

Yeah, that's pretty understated.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Mother in stitches... more like child up for adoption if it had been me :)

Mother in stitches after child cuts up real money to use Queen's face on dolls​

A mother named Victoria Ingham was left speechless after discovering her child had cut up real money, but couldn't help but laugh when she realised they'd done it to use the Queen's face on their dolls
John BettAudience Writer
  • 13:37, 25 Aug 2021
  • UPDATED13:42, 25 Aug 2021
A mother was left in stitches after her child cut up real money - so that they could stick the Queen's face onto their dolls.
Victoria Ingham was at home and went upstairs to check on her child, Esme, and was shocked to discover that the youngster had taken a pair of scissors to a £20 note and a fiver.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/mother-stitches-after-children-cut-24835030

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In the U.S. news will the Queen allow Lilibet to be christened at Windsor.

The Queen being a grandma, I will say sure she will.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Squail

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
In the U.S. news will the Queen allow Lilibet to be christened at Windsor.

The Queen being a grandma, I will say sure she will.

Would the Church of England actually consent to christen a child -- or anyone -- under, officially, such an outlandish name as "Lilibet"? (I know little about this kind of stuff.)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Would the Church of England actually consent to christen a child -- or anyone -- under, officially, such an outlandish name as "Lilibet"? (I know little about this kind of stuff.)

I also think it's an awful name, but as a) The Monarch is the supreme governor of the Church of England, b) as above, what happens in St George's Chapel is completely subject to the will of the Monarch, I can't imagine the Church itself will have any kind of say.

And although the Queen will, no doubt, have her own opinion, I doubt she'll want to humiliate her grandson and his wife in public.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I also think it's an awful name, but as a) The Monarch is the supreme governor of the Church of England, b) as above, what happens in St George's Chapel is completely subject to the will of the Monarch, I can't imagine the Church itself will have any kind of say.

And although the Queen will, no doubt, have her own opinion, I doubt she'll want to humiliate her grandson and his wife in public.

Wasn’t “Lillibet” HM the Q’s childhood nickname/endearment? That might tip the scales.

maximus otter

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score